Thread: Is fruit bad in the beginning? page

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I started on the PB diet around two weeks ago and have been getting the low-carb flu off and on. Have I been making a mistake in eating fruit? In the beginning is it better to totally avoid ANY sugar to help get thru the transition from burning sugar to burning fat? I've been making a smoothie for breakfast almost every day with a banana, strawberries, blueberries and rasberries. Do you guys find it's better to just stick with meat, veggies and nuts 100% until our bodies adjust to burning fat for fuel?

Reepicheep Guest

It's possible that dropping all the fruit will help you get over the "low carb flu" faster, but then if you're really addicted to sugar (I am), the transition might be a bit easier if you include fruit. I did, the first month, and now have totally dropped it (second month). It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, but I don't think I could have done it a month ago. I sometimes still get cravings for something sweet, which I've been treating with a bit of flaked coconut, coconut milk, and cinnamon mixed in a pudding.

If you're still experiencing flu symptoms, it might be best to drop at least some of the fruit. A banana has A LOT of sugar, but you might be alright with just the berries. Add some coconut milk and cinnamon and you've got yourself a kick-ass smoothie with a lot less sugar.

Prowler Guest

That smoothie sounds like it may be loaded with sugar. That's just not a good idea, any time. Do you know what sugar does to your liver?

mayness is offline Senior Member

I found that bananas in the morning made the "low-carb flu" feel that much worse, I guess from the sugar crash. So that smoothie wouldn't work for me, personally.

That said, I didn't cut out fruit altogether, for my mental health =] but I've heard other people say it does help you get over the physical adjustment period.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

avocado is offline Senior Member

Maybe keep some daily fruit but not a big smoothie? I like smoothies, but they&#39;re kind of like flour/bread - they pack a lot of food into a small, easily consumed volume.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Personally, I enjoy a fruit/coco-milk smoothie on occasion.

1 cup of raspberries only has 5 grams of sugar:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2053/2

1 cup of coco-milk has negligible sugars:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3114/2

And then usually I&#39;ll toss in some whey for posterity&#39;s sake with 0g sugar.

(Of course some ice too)

Ends up being ~20g carbs with 5-6g sugar. Not too shabby, especially considering I only do it maybe once or twice a week at most for a treat.

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Okay, sounds like way too much sugar in my breakfast smoothie. Omelet Town here I come. Thanks for the advice folks!

Prowler Guest

Okay, sounds like way too much sugar in my breakfast smoothie. Omelet Town here I come

Omelette Town is a great place to live.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I LOVE my omelet breakfasts! I started using coconut oil in place of butter and that gives them a whole new twist to shake things up a bit...

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!