Page 1 of 306 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page

Paleobird Guest

Paleobird's Next Big Adventure

Hello MDA friends, old and new. How's everybody doing?

I've only been peeking my head in to the boards once in a while lately. I kind of felt like I needed an MDA break. But, the journaling process was very helpful to me when I was first getting started and I think it could continue to be fun and helpful now. I started a new journal thread just because I was tired of the whole "cancer surviver" part in my old title. That is seeming more and more like a distant part of my past now and I don't want it to be my identity. Also the Kilimangaro part was fun but now it is time to move on to other horizons.

If anyone wants to get "caught up" on all 150 pages of my original journal, (or if you're having trouble sleeping and don't want to take a pill) you can find it here. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19105.html

Since I dropped off the boards in January, I have been on a six week tour of the Caribbean during which I turned 50.
    I put on a few pounds during that cruise and have been trying to keep a few others from creeping back up on me. So I guess my original journal and my calorie counting threads were good for the losing weight phase. Now I'm in the "I've achieved everything I want so I can relax now, whoops!, where did that ten pounds come from?" stage. I think a lot of people probably go through this.

In my first journal I set out to go from a size 12 and 180 to a size 8 and 150. I got to a size 6 and 145. Now I'm at 155 and the 6s are tight so I haven't strayed too far but I don't want to let it get out of hand. So, I think it's time for some reflection, setting out what I am doing right and where I need to work on it.

What I'm doing right:

I really do eat 98% Primal. (The 2% is for social situations where you don't want to be a jerk, not treats)
    All meat I cook is 100% grass fed/finished (I belong to a meat CSA)
    Lots of fresh wild seafood and sea veggies (I had a dozen freshly shucked oysters for brunch yesterday)
    Absolutely no desire for grain based anything
    I never use sugar or sweeteners of any kind
    I cook with butter or coconut oil and use olive or avocado oil for salads
    Speaking of salads, lots of them plus lots of other veggies

I get lots of SoCal sunshine.
    Plenty of restful sleep.
    Minimal to non existant stress levels.

Where I need to do better :

I. NEED. MORE. EXERCISE. <Hits self over the head with The Giant Clue By Four>
    When I was on the cruise I got in some good snorkeling some days but I got out of the habit of my LHT workouts and sprinting. Since I got home I have been going hiking once a week plus little walkies with the wolf cub but, overall, not walking nearly as often or as far as I was.

Allowing "special occasion" stuff to become staples like wine, cheese, dark chocolate, berries.

Letting quantities get out of hand on supposedly "safe" starches like sweet potatoes, parsnips, sushi rice.

Letting quantities get out of hand in social eating situations. (I hosted a party last night and ate/drank too much)

Letting quantities of everything get out of hand. Full stop.

OK, so back on track. We can do this.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    10 pounds isn't too bad for a 6-week cruise. I've got friends who gained 20 each on a 2-week cruise. I hear those 24-hour ice cream bars and pizza bars are a killer!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    10 pounds isn't too bad for a 6-week cruise. I've got friends who gained 20 each on a 2-week cruise. I hear those 24-hour ice cream bars and pizza bars are a killer!
    Well, I did a good job of staying away from the pizza and ice cream. I think I overdid the cocktails a bit, though. When you are "at sea" for a whole day during which they have an art auction and offer the inducement of free unlimited champagne to get people there (and impair their judgement), that is hard to resist.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Welcome back, PB! Writing this post to mark this thread.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Yay! Welcome back, PB! Writing this post to mark this thread.
    Hiya, Steph. Good to see you.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back PB.

Cheese, wine, safe starches, no sprints and no regular LHT can be blamed for my failure to impersonate a washboard. Will be interesting to see which you can keep and which you have to address
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    hey paleobird! glad to see you're back! i like your new avatar.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Welcome back PB.

Cheese, wine, safe starches, no sprints and no regular LHT can be blamed for my failure to impersonate a washboard. Will be interesting to see which you can keep and which you have to address
    Good question. I wonder if I could keep some dietary indulgences if I worked more diligently on the exercise front. Hmm.

I really think this whole "safe starch" movement is leading a lot of people down the garden path. True, if you can already play the spoons on your abs, then there is nothing wrong with including some more spuds and rice as dietary staples. But for the rest of us mortals......

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Good question. I wonder if I could keep some dietary indulgences if I worked more diligently on the exercise front. Hmm.

I really think this whole "safe starch" movement is leading a lot of people down the garden path. True, if you can already play the spoons on your abs, then there is nothing wrong with including some more spuds and rice as dietary staples. But for the rest of us mortals......
    Yup.

After toying with safe starches, I've come to the conclusion (backed up by monitoring my scale weight) that they're not doing me any favors. I'm going back to regular primal and ignoring forum advice.

Really, I knew better, but I was starting to wonder if adding some carbs would help to jump weight loss. They did not. Not because teh carbs are eville and making me fat, but because when I eat them, I don't feel satiated. I want to eat more. And I do. Same problem I have with most conventional diets.

So back to protein and veggies, and the rice can wait until either I get down to where I need to be, or (fingers crossed) I get pregnant and meat starts to make my stomach turn. Which I'm hoping won't happen at all, but we'll see.

Whoo. Rant over.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We need sexy pics.... why else would i drop in?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 306 1231151101 ... LastLast