Page 99 of 306 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 99

  1. #981
    mdrive's Avatar
    mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thank you for the protein tip....according to my ideal weight in kilos i need about 60 grams of protein....so i was light on protein on some days, way over on some others....i'm going to pick up some ketostix, as i have NO idea if i am in ketosis, other than i thought my sweat during workouts was a bit strong (odor despite a shower)

    my bike ride this morning was rough....very windy and of course it wasn't at my back <g> burned 900 cal in about 1.5 hour and was a little high on my HRM , got out of my training zone a couple of times....it was also quite warm...but i felt good after

  2. #982
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    thank you for the protein tip....according to my ideal weight in kilos i need about 60 grams of protein....so i was light on protein on some days, way over on some others....i'm going to pick up some ketostix, as i have NO idea if i am in ketosis, other than i thought my sweat during workouts was a bit strong (odor despite a shower)

    my bike ride this morning was rough....very windy and of course it wasn't at my back <g> burned 900 cal in about 1.5 hour and was a little high on my HRM , got out of my training zone a couple of times....it was also quite warm...but i felt good after
    Ketostix work well as you are transitioning into ketosis but over time, as your body becomes more adept at utilizing the ketones for fuel, there will not be as many excreted so the urine will not be a very reliable gauge. They have blood meters meant for diabetic people that measure both blood glucose and ketones. These are more reliable but really, I find that I just know when I am in ketosis. It's like the booster rockets have kicked in in my energy levels.

  3. #983
    unsuperb's Avatar
    unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    867
    Hey Paleobird,
    Thanks for stopping by my journal! I've done two Tough Mudders to date, and they were both a lot of fun. Don't be discouraged if you can't build up enough upper body strength in time. I have torn both my AC joints which has limited my shoulder mobility and strength, but didn't come across many obstacles that were limiting in that regards (I think the monkey bars will always be my true nemesis, everything else is doable with the assistance of others). Good luck with training!

  4. #984
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    Hey Paleobird,
    Thanks for stopping by my journal! I've done two Tough Mudders to date, and they were both a lot of fun. Don't be discouraged if you can't build up enough upper body strength in time. I have torn both my AC joints which has limited my shoulder mobility and strength, but didn't come across many obstacles that were limiting in that regards (I think the monkey bars will always be my true nemesis, everything else is doable with the assistance of others). Good luck with training!
    Hi unsuperb,
    Good to know. Thank you. Do you have to enter with a team of can you go solo?

  5. #985
    unsuperb's Avatar
    unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi unsuperb,
    Good to know. Thank you. Do you have to enter with a team of can you go solo?
    No need to enter with a team. I went solo both times as I like being able to take in the views (one was at Squaw Valley by Lake Tahoe, the other at Whistler) and go at my own pace. There are enough people going through to lend a hand when necessary. My partner went with a team, and while she enjoyed their company, she would probably go solo next time as they slowed her down (injuries occurred).

  6. #986
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    No need to enter with a team. I went solo both times as I like being able to take in the views (one was at Squaw Valley by Lake Tahoe, the other at Whistler) and go at my own pace. There are enough people going through to lend a hand when necessary. My partner went with a team, and while she enjoyed their company, she would probably go solo next time as they slowed her down (injuries occurred).
    That's good. I'm not really interested in seeing how fast I can do it. I just want to be able to finish. I don't think they have set a firm venue for the San Diego one yet since this is the first time they have done this area. I signed up on a "pre-registration" list so I'll get the updates as they get organized.

  7. #987
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    In case you all don't know what Unsuperb and I are talking about, the title of her new journal has to do with training to compete in a Tough Mudder race. I read this and started getting intrigued.

    I have been feeling like I needed a new athletic goal, something to keep me focused and doing my workouts. My next Kilimangaro if you will.

    Then I read that the TM company is expanding into my city coming next year. It's not until November of 2013 but it's good to have a goal. Where I need to focus more is on my upper body workouts. I have been lagging there. I'm pretty good about keeping the gams toned with lots of walking and sprints but I need to work more on the upper stuff. I still haven't gotten that elusive pull-up that I started a whole challenge thread about in 2011. That area is a real weak spot for me due to the scar tissue and re-arranged muscles left behind by past surgeries. But I need to get out of that "weakness" mindset and move forward.

    I think this race could be a good way to do this. I will need upper body strength to haul myself up and over walls etc.

  8. #988
    B2B's Avatar
    B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

    Hello B2B, and welcome. I don't mind lurkers. How did the meatloaf turn out? I bet there could be any number of things in the stuffing area, bacon, avocados, etc.

    .
    Paleobird,
    Just made your meatloaf with the addition of some bacon! Whole family devoured it. It has made the list of definitely make this again. Thanks for the inspiration!!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

    SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

  9. #989
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,669
    Upper arm muscles, sure, but I heard you have to dodge live electric wires. Sounds crazy!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  10. #990
    unsuperb's Avatar
    unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Upper arm muscles, sure, but I heard you have to dodge live electric wires. Sounds crazy!
    That part is actually not so bad! In the last one I did, they had a slip n' slide with electric wires dangling in your face while sliding/crawling down it (in addition to the final obstacle with the dangling electric wires you have to run through).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •