Page 95 of 306 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 95

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    PB, the beef liver i fixed last night took some getting used to.....it tasted stronger than my recollection, not sure if being from grassfed beef is the reason, but i couldn't eat my entire portion....i'm going to try the pate'....i think i'll need to add a fair amount of seasoning to make it palatable....

i found this recipe for the oxtail, it looks quite good, and needs only minor tweaks to make it paleo

Caribbean-style Oxtails Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    PB, the beef liver i fixed last night took some getting used to.....it tasted stronger than my recollection, not sure if being from grassfed beef is the reason, but i couldn't eat my entire portion....i'm going to try the pate'....i think i'll need to add a fair amount of seasoning to make it palatable....

i found this recipe for the oxtail, it looks quite good, and needs only minor tweaks to make it paleo

Caribbean-style Oxtails Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network
    That recipe sounds awesome but I would sub out some red wine for the beer.
    Grass fed liver does have more vitamins and minerals in it as well as more protein per gram. If your body says, that's enough, it is probably telling you you don't need any more vitamin A or iron or whatever.

Pate is a good way to have liver not only more tasty (for me it's more of a texture issue), and also be able to cook a big batch and freeze some. If you put it into little containers, then drizzle some liquid coconut oil on top, it will seal it and it can stay frozen for a long time.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The crio bru website lists no locations in San Diego. Where do you get it? I think I'll try to stop at Whole Foods on my way home and see if I can find it or a similar product. Apparently Oprah featured something called Choffy on her show which is another roasted chocolate bean product. So there must be similar products out there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The crio bru website lists no locations in San Diego. Where do you get it? I think I'll try to stop at Whole Foods on my way home and see if I can find it or a similar product. Apparently Oprah featured something called Choffy on her show which is another roasted chocolate bean product. So there must be similar products out there.
    Here: http://www.criobru.com/

If you buy $75 or more the shipping is free and it got here in 4 days.

Yes, that Choffey does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I liked the fact that the Crio Brew stuff is all fair trade.
    The Crio Brew is also a couple of bucks less expensive per pound. (I guess if you get featured on Oprah, you can jack up the price.)
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-24-2012 at 02:25 PM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I need to start including liver---a friend make some chicken liver pate that was edible. What do you include in your pate? I am a recipe freak! I have texture issues too---can eat fried liver AT ALL...can't even swallow one bite. What do you eat it on? It would be lovely on a cracker...but I guess I need some other options!

Paleobird Guest
    How about a spoon? The ultimate pate delivery device. Also good in celery sticks as an appetizer.

Pate recipe:
    2lbs liver (any beast) sliced up
    Cook in 1 stick butter
    Add spices while cooking. I like s&p, garlic(lots), Italian herbs or herbs de Provence, maybe a splash of sherry but not necessary
    Put entire pan full of stuff into the blender (or use a hand blender but the VitaMix makes it smoother)
    Add about a cup of cream.
    Blend the living daylights out of it.
    Pour into tupper cups and refrigerate. If freezing some put a top layer of melted coconut oil on to seal air out first.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Thanks!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I need to start including liver---a friend make some chicken liver pate that was edible. What do you include in your pate? I am a recipe freak! I have texture issues too---can eat fried liver AT ALL...can't even swallow one bite. What do you eat it on? It would be lovely on a cracker...but I guess I need some other options!
    Well, to further mask the liver flavor, here's what I did once for a neophyte who was shaking in her boots: snip off the top of about a dozen large calimyrna figs(stouter green ones) or black mission figs(the big purple ones), & scoop out 1/2 of the innards, retaining the top. Like you would do a pumpkin or a stuffed whatever. Place the pate' inside the carved out area, top with creamy soft goat cheese, drizzle w/ balsamic vinegar & put the top back on and warm them on a tray in the oven. Make extras, as this appetizer can become the main course! This recipe is one of my inspirations from a bumper crop of figs many years back from our tree...
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Dinner tonight was simple and small. 4 humungous local prawns with heads & tails intact simmered in hot water while I melted the butter with a mix of garlic powder, lemon juice, pinch of sea salt for dipping the prawns. Kimchi side dish & a hunk of the cabbage core from my month old sauerkraut that melted all squishy in my mouth. Dessert was a tender young coconut water & tender flesh scooped out w/ a spoon.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-24-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betorq View Post
    well, to further mask the liver flavor, here's what i did once for a neophyte who was shaking in her boots: Snip off the top of about a dozen large calimyrna figs (the big purple ones), & scoop out 1/2 of the innards, retaining the top. Like you would do a pumpkin or a stuffed whatever. Place the pate' inside the carved out area, top with creamy soft goat cheese, drizzle w/ balsamic vinegar & put the top back on and warm them on a tray in the oven. Make extras, as this appetizer can become the main course! This recipe is one of my inspirations from a bumper crop of figs many years back from our tree...
    ohmygoodnessican'tbelievehowdeliciousthissounds!!! !!!!