Page 93 of 306 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 93

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ooh ooh ooh, our crio bru cavallo is arriving tomorrow... we all can't wait! I'm definitely keeping the grounds for garnish & other tasty ideas... (I like yours!)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Ooh ooh ooh, our crio bru cavallo is arriving tomorrow... we all can't wait! I'm definitely keeping the grounds for garnish & other tasty ideas... (I like yours!)
    It did set up. Not quite bark, a little more crumbly. Half way between bark and a cookie. I think next time I'll try blending in some nuts for more smoothness. It is very tasty though.

I wonder if you could re-brew the same grounds more than once, maybe just with a little less water. Hmmm. The possibilities are endless.

Oooh. Lightning bolt of inspiration. Add some of the grounds to Richard's Fat Bread!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    i had never even heard of crio bru before---so how is this NOT chocolate? Just the cacao bean?

Paleobird Guest

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I didn't know what it was either when Paleobird 1st mentioned it... Sounded to me like a type of wine, haha

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-337-15039-crio-bru.html
    Crio Bru Non-caffeinated cocoa/coffee superdrink
    By Austen Diamond

Photo by Rachel Piper // Crio Bru

Posted // November 22,2011 -

It’s probably best to first define what Crio Bru isn’t. Although this new, Orem-made, brewed hot beverage will most certainly garner comparisons to coffee or hot chocolate, there’s nothing really like this drink, which is brewed like coffee but is 100 percent cocoa.

Owner Eric Durtschi recently swung by the City Weekly offices for a taste test with our staff. Their tasting notes can be found here.

“Our biggest challenge is education. We have to put as much information as possible on the label,” Durtschi says, while opening several bags. They all list the beans’ superfood qualities and health benefits, with brew directions on the back. The Coca River (Ecuador) smells distinctly of green banana and blackberries, while coconut and cinnamon emanate from the Cavalla (Ivory Coast)—and those tastes come out subtly when brewed. Each of the seven varieties contain single-origin—and, sometimes, single-estate—beans, sourced with Durtschi’s obsessive knack for quality.

“I’ve had to reinvent the wheel for processing cacao beans,” Durtschi says. Crio Bru requires picking more mature beans and a different fermentation time than chocolate. The beans are roasted in Orem and sold ground, because they are more liquidy than coffee beans and would ruin a home grinder.

A French press is the best brew method, and the longer Crio Bru steeps, the richer and more chocolate-y the flavor. Many of our staff would have preferred a little sugar during their taste. “Like fine chocolate, subtleties will come out that way; that’s why the best bars are only 70 percent chocolate,” Durtschi says, although he prefers his without sugar.

The product, which has less caffeine than decaf coffee, is sold in grocery stores in Utah and across the United States. Durtschi hopes to expand his line from seven varieties to 12 within the next year. “I’ve isolated many superior growing regions I can stand behind,” he says.

CRIO BRU
    CrioBru.com
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    I just read some more on their website and I guess I am not the first person to ever think about doing something with the used grounds. They recommend putting them in muffins, smoothies etc.

I had a seriously fatty day today. I had marrow bones for lunch and liver pate and a salad for dinner. Dad had put in a request for some chicken so I made some curry with rice for him with some root veggies.

I've also been nibbling on my Crio Bru bark cookie this evening which has a fair bit of coconut oil in it.

I am so stuffed but I can feel my metabolism just humming along in high gear.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    do you have a post to you crio bru cookie bark?

I am going to order some for hubby---maybe get him off coffee since it seems to hurt his stomach most days.

Paleobird Guest
    Just blend the "used" grounds in the vitamix (not sure if a regular blender would get it smooth enough). Add a little coconut oil (I think cocoa butter would even be better. Spread out flat and fridge. Next time may try adding some nut butter for more smoothness.

Oooooh, oooooh I know. Coconut butter would be the best mix. The possibilities are endless.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to make my own roobois chai blend. it's not easy to get it right.

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    got my grassfed beef liver and oxtails delivered today! woohoo.....

i'm going to cook the traditional 'liver and onions' for dinner tonight dredged in coconut 'flour' and sauted in coconut oil....still looking at various recipes for the oxtail....any suggestions on either would be highly appreciated

also the crio bru sounds fantastic...(i too thought it was a wine until i googled it) i may order that as well...

<edit> does anyone know the difference between the cavalla and vega real crio bru?

also wondering if you could do a crio bru 'espresso'
    Last edited by mdrive; 08-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.