Page 91 of 306 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 91

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Photo on 2012-08-21 at 18.10.jpg

Tonight at the Birdnest Fusion Bistro, the special is Sea Tangle kelp noodles with sea scallops cooked in home made pesto sauce with tricolor peppers just for being pretty. The basil for the pesto is from the generous neighbor's garden. Nothing like really fresh pesto.

Grizz wold be pleased with my iodine levels tonight.

Paleobird Guest
    Crio Bru is so wonderful. I bought all six flavors and they sent me an extra free sample pack of a new flavor they have. Oh my. This stuff could be habit forming.

So far I've only tried the basic one the Cavalla. I can see how making this as a half & half brew with some regular decaf coffee would be awesome too.

Oh the future looks bright because I will have another pot tomorrow. My world is complete. Seriously just freaking try this stuff. It will change your life.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Crio Bru is so wonderful. I bought all six flavors and they sent me an extra free sample pack of a new flavor they have. Oh my. This stuff could be habit forming.

So far I've only tried the basic one the Cavalla. I can see how making this as a half & half brew with some regular decaf coffee would be awesome too.

Oh the future looks bright because I will have another pot tomorrow. My world is complete. Seriously just freaking try this stuff. It will change your life.
    Jeebus feckin' crisco, a BREWED CHOCOLATE DRINK?????

/dies

Edited to add: THE HIPPY MART NEAR MY HOUSE OFFERS IT.

ERMAGHERD.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I really want some... researching the oxalate content of brewing the cocoa beans vs eating them. I emailed the company. LOL

In my research I also found how HORRIBLE/evil whole grains are. Good thing I already ditched those! Holy oxalate hell!
    Nuts are right off the table too...

The chocolate drink may show up at my house when cold weather arrives as a once a week indulgene...
    My light oolong, green, and white teas are not as bad as I have feared.
    It's the black teas that are high oxalate off the table... limiting my cold weather chais.

I'm feeling restricted...
    I think I'll put on socks and Risky Business slide around the house to remind myself that it's GOOD.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Jeebus feckin' crisco, a BREWED CHOCOLATE DRINK?????
    /dies
    Edited to add: THE HIPPY MART NEAR MY HOUSE OFFERS IT.
    ERMAGHERD.
    All kudos to Dr. Bork Bork for telling me about this stuff. It came up on the latest "is caffeine Primal?" thread. It's her substitute for coffee right now. She's incubating too.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I really want some... researching the oxalate content of brewing the cocoa beans vs eating them. I emailed the company. LOL

In my research I also found how HORRIBLE/evil whole grains are. Good thing I already ditched those! Holy oxalate hell!
    Nuts are right off the table too...

The chocolate drink may show up at my house when cold weather arrives as a once a week indulgene...
    My light oolong, green, and white teas are not as bad as I have feared.
    It's the black teas that are high oxalate off the table... limiting my cold weather chais.

I'm feeling restricted...
    I think I'll put on socks and Risky Business slide around the house to remind myself that it's GOOD.
    Have you looked into Rooibos? It doesn't even come from the tea plant. Whole different plant and it doesn't have any of the process of blackening (Earl Grey is basically green tea that has rotted. Chinese people wouldn't be caught dead drinking the stuff.) So I wonder if the oxalates are in the tea or the blackening? Either way Rooibos might be an alternative.

The Teavana.com company sells a rooibos blend that has chocolate in it with some spices and stuff. Rooibos also makes a great chai. Seriously good.

Just picturing you in a shirt and socks sliding down the hall. Hehehe.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-22-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    All kudos to Dr. Bork Bork for telling me about this stuff. It came up on the latest "is caffeine Primal?" thread. It's her substitute for coffee right now. She's incubating too.

Have you looked into Rooibos? It doesn't even come from the tea plant. Whole different plant and it doesn't have any of the process of blackening (Earl Grey is basically green tea that has rotted. Chinese people wouldn't be caught dead drinking the stuff.) So I wonder if the oxalates are in the tea or the blackening? Either way Rooibos might be an alternative.

The Teavana.com company sells a rooibos blend that has chocolate in it with some spices and stuff. Rooibos also makes a great chai. Seriously good.

Just picturing you in a shirt and socks sliding down the hall. Hehehe.
    Ahhh...
    I do have rooibos... and I found out that it has NO oxalates!
    That, my dear, is 'squee' worthy!
    I can drown in the stuff if I want to... and make CHAI!
    The proper Chinese teas (oolongs, whites, greens) are not as high in oxalates and I can drink them in moderation.

Why do you have to throw Earl Grey under the bus... the one black tea I love. *sigh*
    Actually, I love a premium version of it. Whole leaf Earl Greyer mixed 2:1 w/ a whole leaf vanilla rose tea.
    But I don't drink that often anyway. It's more nostalgic than anything. Earl Gray was my moms tea of choice.

As far as the Crio Bru...
    I emailed them last night, and got this answer today.

"To date, we have not done any specific testing to ascertain oxalate levels in Crio Brü. It is well known that there is oxalate in cacao. However, there is a way that oxalate levels can be reduced and that is through boiling or steaming. Traditional chocolate products do not allow for that and thus, retain the oxalate present in the original cacao bean. Crio Brü is brewed and has boiling water run through it. This should lower the level of oxalate. If you want to remove even more, place the grounds in a pot and boil for 2-3 minutes then let it steep for another 5 minutes and remove the grounds. According to researcher Susan Owens, some vegetables have shown a 40% reduction in oxalate through boiling."

Sooo... I'm going to get some. For occasional use, like weekend indulgence, once the weather cools down here.
    I think it will be safer for me that continued intake of eating chocolate... which I'm going to MISS. Seriously... I NEVER thought I'd be giving up chocolate!
    Crio Bru will be my "safe chocolate"...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    In the UK Twinings used to sell a Green Tea Earl Grey - it's the bergamot that makes it Early Grey-ish. Perhaps you can order it online?
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    is Crio Bru any different than getting cocoa nibs and grinding them into powder? cause i have been doing that for a while now, given that i am adding it to my coffee...

Damn we all live a great life, imagin a time when we thought white bread was where its all.

I am so damn spoiled i refuse to eat out. i mean who can grill a steak like I can? I can taste the corn and othe crap in the commercial meats. nothing out there in the world of the restaurant tastes good anymore , it is like being punished
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    In the UK Twinings used to sell a Green Tea Earl Grey - it's the bergamot that makes it Early Grey-ish. Perhaps you can order it online?
    Also sometimes called "Lady Grey". Really good!

Rooibos is remarkable with honey or maple syrup and cream. Really draws out the caramel-y flavors of the brew.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Yeah, I can get bergamot oil...
    I could try to make or find some "earl grey" rooibos.

Orrrr... I could keep having my few cups a year. I really don't drink it often. I like having it. I take the jar down and sniff it. I've been known to brew a couple of cups and dump them... nostalgia does it.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche