Page 9 of 306 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 9

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yes, I just eat my carbs and keep my mouth shut. I don' t get Choco. He seems to be saying that it does not matter if we are primal or not. Just cut calories and you will lose weight. In his opinion both low fat high carb and high fat low carb are fine. Of course, he has never been fat, middle aged or female.
    Choco is actually kind of a cute pup at times. He just needs a few more decades to figure out that what works for him doesn't always work for everybody else. Ah, the ego-centrism of youth.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    EEEEEEMMMMMMMM! It's so good to see you. I know what you mean about the "collection of weirdos". I took about a six month break from MDA and that did me a world of good.

I'm so glad that you are getting your beautiful new body re-sculpted a bit. 100 pounds! Wow. That is seriously impressive. Much respect.

And I don't really think MDA is carb phobic. If anything lately there seems to have been a real shift toward embracing the "good" carbs and realizing that what works for one person doesn't work for someone else. Low carb works for some but not for all and for some it even causes problems such as your thyroid issues. I'm glad you are getting that sorted out.

Are you still working on your pull ups?
    Having implants put under my pec muscles put a serious dent in my pull up practice for a while, but I'm back in the gym doing lat pull-downs again. I'll get back to full strength eventually.

As for the rest of the forum, I don't read or participate anymore. I follow a few journals but only comment occasionally. Graduating last year and starting both my graduate program (40 hrs a week working) and my Masters this year has left me with very little free time - certainly not enough to engage in debates about food on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Em, This was exactly my experience. I eat the same carbs as you do now and gasp sometimes I even hit 75g. I don't really think MDA is carb phobic, though the VLC gang may be louder. In fact, lately there have been a flurry of posts about people who upped their carbs and felt better. Everybody sort of does their own thing within the Primal framework. As to the weirdos...well yeah we've got some of those. Eh, just ignore them. Please Hang Out!
    Oh Pebbles, that's 50% carbs hon, not 50g. 50g or even 75g is not even close to moderate carb let alone high. I'm glad you've found your sweet spot though and I'm not saying what I do will work for everyone, but it works for me.
    I do still hang out a little but everytime I start a post on my journal, I get about a third of the way through and think 'oh stuff it.' I think I'll stick with commenting in other people's journals for now.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Oh Pebbles, that's 50% carbs hon, not 50g. 50g or even 75g is not even close to moderate carb let alone high. .
    Ah, I see. Even so, glad to see you around.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Having implants put under my pec muscles put a serious dent in my pull up practice for a while, but I'm back in the gym doing lat pull-downs again. I'll get back to full strength eventually.

As for the rest of the forum, I don't read or participate anymore. I follow a few journals but only comment occasionally. Graduating last year and starting both my graduate program (40 hrs a week working) and my Masters this year has left me with very little free time - certainly not enough to engage in debates about food on the internet.

Oh Pebbles, that's 50% carbs hon, not 50g. 50g or even 75g is not even close to moderate carb let alone high. I'm glad you've found your sweet spot though and I'm not saying what I do will work for everyone, but it works for me.
    I do still hang out a little but everytime I start a post on my journal, I get about a third of the way through and think 'oh stuff it.' I think I'll stick with commenting in other people's journals for now.
    I remember the post mastectomy reconstruction phase and my pectorals feel your pectorals pain. I'm glad you're doing the pull downs. It's really easy after surgery like that for everything to get frozen up in fascia adhesions if you don't keep things moving.

Congrats on graduating! I remember being a grad student too. There is no way I would have had time for internet debates either.

I agree with Pebbles. It's good to see you when you have the odd moment free but we understand that you are busy.

Paleobird Guest
    Well, it was one week ago today that I had to take Dad to the urgent care doctor for the shooting pains in his feet. The pains are now gone and so is the inflammation that has been creeping up on him for a few years. He has normal looking feet again with spaces between the toes and no purple tinge at the ends.

It's amazing what just one week of clean eating can do.

Now I'm hoping that Primal eating will bring his blood pressure down enough that he can reduce or eliminate some of the meds he takes for that.

Paleobird Guest
    As for me, I'm realizing that cooking twice a day for someone does curtail the amount of time available for exercise. I got my LHT's in this week but have only done little walkies not any long hikes.

This must be what it's like to have a kid. I'm used to the me-centered universe but I will adjust.

And I'm down from 163 to 158.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Great progress, Robin. And it's wonderful to hear how well your Dad is responding.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks Sigi. I think a lot of older people and the people who take care of them have the idea that "you can't teach and old dog new tricks" but I think it is never too late for clean eating to make a change.

My BFF who is 81 went Primal last year and is doing great. She has gotten off her statin prescription and has lost a bunch of weight. Her last holdout that made her want to cling to non primal eating was her morning bowl of oatmeal. She was convinced that it was the only thing standing between her digestive system and the dreaded curse of *gasp* irregularity. Once she got past that, she has done great. Being a really good cook helps.

With my Dad the last holdout was his morning bagel and orange juice. People do get set in routines. I think breakfast routines can be especially hard patterns to break. I wonder why that is.

Paleobird Guest
    So this week I got my two LHT's done and today I did my sprints but only dog walkies, not any hikes. Oh, well.

I found a new way to do sprints. I usually take the hound to the park or the beach but today I decided that there is a perfectly good street outside that would work fine. I live on a cul de sac with only three houses, mine, my Dad's and one young family across the street. Other than occasional lost people, traffic is just about non-existant here. The street is also on an incline, maybe 35 degrees or so. Sprints uphill are great. I would sprint to the top then walk back down by which time I was no longer sucking wind and ready to rinse and repeat 10 times. Pretty good workout.

Paleobird Guest
    This week I have been reminded rather forcefully that several of the people I care most about in this world are elderly. My Dad had had his problems. My 81 year old BFF had a slip and fall accident a couple of days ago that left her with a broken nose and a sprained wrist. And then a few nights ago I got a call from a good friend of mine who lives in Mexico telling me that her husband who had also been a friend for about ten years and was approaching 80 had passed away.

Will you people all just stop getting old already?

Page 9 of 306 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast