Page 89 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 89

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    My BP is normal, but today for the 1st time in a long time, I was light headed some, but mostly I was a wee bit sick/crampy feeling. It passed & I'm fine again.

Dairy is optional(I indulge freely), but its my opinion that pastured eggs are as primal a food as any. Eggs never required Grok to track, hunt down, kill and haul back a carcass. All eggs involved was raiding someone's nest while they were absent & chowing down!

60% can be challenging some days. However, true ketosis is fun! * (And hot tubs too!
    My BP is low but good, 95/65 ish. I haven't had any wooziness except when I let myself get dehydrated on a hot day.
    I couldn't do this without dairy. Peter over at Hyperlipid actually eats egg yolks only throwing out the egg whites because they have too much protein while most of the fat is in the yolk.

I don't have a hot tub but I have an indoor jacuzzi........

Paleobird Guest
    Caballeros y Damas, este noche a la Cantina Birdnest, tenemos el especialidad de la casa, ensalada de tacos.

(Sounds better than taco salad with a blop of sour cream in the middle. Secretly a recycling of the leftover meatballs I made for my party Saturday night. Crumble up with salsa, heat crumbles in micro. Presto! Dinner in ten minutes.) Homegrown tomatoes.

Sorry Jac, avocados. Again. We just bathe in the stuff here in SoCal in the summertime.

Photo on 2012-08-20 at 18.02.jpg

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's what I mean.

It's like, choco (or whomever) goes "this is what works for me!" with this assumption that "therefore YOU should do it!"

I simply try to say "this is what I do, and this is what happened for me, btu I am this, that, and the other." Like, I am 36, mom of only one, does the yoga thing daily, does walk at least 40 minutes a day whatever whatever. . . and therefore not "special" like someone with IBS, or peri/post menopausal, or with other autoimmune thing, or with thyroid thing, or whatever.

So, to say "if you do it like me -- person who is post menopausal with IBS and works a desk job and is overweight -- then you'll be like me!"

Instead, we really do need to n-1 and tailor and see what works. Don't assume that *my way* works, but also don't assume that another person's way is going to work either. Feel free to give anything and everything a try (if you want), or just go with people who are "more like you" and stick with that.

I mean, if i were a person who had seizures or had also come off of cancer treatment, id' be like "what was paleobird's protocol?" And if i were more like what Jac's going through, I'd be on that protocol and see what is what, you know? Just see what works.

And if you happen to be like me -- which is basically fit, mostly active, and just working on this, that, or the other small goals like "wanting to have family dinners that everyone can eat" -- then, yeah, totally just do it my way.

I think i'm just looking for people to keep it simple at first, then fine tune as they go along based on the information that makes sense to them in light of their own circumstances, rather than going "Yes! sweet potatoes are the One True Way!" or "Yes, it must be VLC!" KWIM?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Yeah, that's what I mean.

It's like, choco (or whomever) goes "this is what works for me!" with this assumption that "therefore YOU should do it!"

I simply try to say "this is what I do, and this is what happened for me, btu I am this, that, and the other." Like, I am 36, mom of only one, does the yoga thing daily, does walk at least 40 minutes a day whatever whatever. . . and therefore not "special" like someone with IBS, or peri/post menopausal, or with other autoimmune thing, or with thyroid thing, or whatever.

So, to say "if you do it like me -- person who is post menopausal with IBS and works a desk job and is overweight -- then you'll be like me!"

Instead, we really do need to n-1 and tailor and see what works. Don't assume that *my way* works, but also don't assume that another person's way is going to work either. Feel free to give anything and everything a try (if you want), or just go with people who are "more like you" and stick with that.

I mean, if i were a person who had seizures or had also come off of cancer treatment, id' be like "what was paleobird's protocol?" And if i were more like what Jac's going through, I'd be on that protocol and see what is what, you know? Just see what works.

And if you happen to be like me -- which is basically fit, mostly active, and just working on this, that, or the other small goals like "wanting to have family dinners that everyone can eat" -- then, yeah, totally just do it my way.

I think i'm just looking for people to keep it simple at first, then fine tune as they go along based on the information that makes sense to them in light of their own circumstances, rather than going "Yes! sweet potatoes are the One True Way!" or "Yes, it must be VLC!" KWIM?
    Very true. Or bouncing back and forth from one extreme thing to the other and never really giving anything a chance to work which is what I see a lot of people doing.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Apparently epilepsy and ketosis was a subject at this year's AHS 2012. Dr. Elizabeth Thiele did a 20 minute presentation. Probably nothing you haven't heard before, but still -- interesting!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, exactly. Like 'I've been dong this for 17 hours and i totally haven't reached any of my goals! i guess primal/vlc/sweet potatoes/GAPS/whatever is not for me! Might as well eat cake!"

Might as well give it, you know, at least 24 hours. LOL

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Why no pork or poultry? I swore I would never eat pork again after my veg. days...but alas, I have.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Also...I'm assuming chances are I have been eating too much protein to dig out of the zone of misery this past time around. I dont do dairy(it doesnt agree with me). I was always plagued with low BP, nausea, light headedness, along with the BO and breath issues!

On another note I woke up with a nasty cold sore forming on my lip---wonder if that was due to the weeks of gf treats and/or my sleepless weekend around sick kiddos!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Apparently epilepsy and ketosis was a subject at this year's AHS 2012. Dr. Elizabeth Thiele did a 20 minute presentation. Probably nothing you haven't heard before, but still -- interesting!
    Really? I would be interested to see that. Do you know if the presentations are up on the net yet?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yes, exactly. Like 'I've been dong this for 17 hours and i totally haven't reached any of my goals! i guess primal/vlc/sweet potatoes/GAPS/whatever is not for me! Might as well eat cake!"
    Might as well give it, you know, at least 24 hours. LOL
    Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Why no pork or poultry? I swore I would never eat pork again after my veg. days...but alas, I have.
    I am with Dr. Kurt Harris of the Archevore site on this question in that poultry and pigs are by nature omnivores and so their flesh has a less favorable O3/O6 ratio than ruminants that feed on their natural diet of grass.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Also...I'm assuming chances are I have been eating too much protein to dig out of the zone of misery this past time around. I dont do dairy(it doesnt agree with me). I was always plagued with low BP, nausea, light headedness, along with the BO and breath issues!

On another note I woke up with a nasty cold sore forming on my lip---wonder if that was due to the weeks of gf treats and/or my sleepless weekend around sick kiddos!
    That does sound like what Dr. Attia calls the zone of misery. You really need to track your macros for a little while at least before you will know. I was way overdoing the protein portions. Even Peter Attia himself had this experience when trying keto initially (that's when he invented the term). You might be interested in reading more about his program at The Eating Academy website.
    I would vote for sleep deprivation and sick kiddos being the cause of your cold sore outbreak. Anything that compromises your immune system can lead to those. If the gf "treats" had much in the way of sweetening, real or fake, those probably didn't help any.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have to watch protein overload too. It's easy to keep slicing the roast, melts in my mouth, so that's been my biggest willpower test.. funny, you'd think it would be sugar and/or bread. I am so in ketosis and loving it. It truly is amazing how great I feel and the energy, fabulous sleep and great mood. DH asked me the other day, you sure are happy, what u taking? LOL I said, well, I do take mushroom supplements the moment I hit the floor each morning but it's the lack of carbs and the right amt of good fats/protein, I know that.