Page 84 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 84

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Attachment 8889

Tonight at the Birnest Salad Bar it is the DIY special. Neither of us were particularly hungry tonight so I just put out a bunch of salad stuff and we each made our own.
    This is my creation with avocado, kalamata olives, feta, peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli slaw, shrooms, and in the middle are some shrimp cooked in half a stick of Kerrygold garlic herb butter plus crushed ginger and some extra garlic (wasn't garlicy enough for me) All of this over a bed of hearts of romaine lettuce.

A good hot weather dinner.
    Good lord that's beautiful.

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    The ability that a dog has to sense when someone is going to have a seizure is innate, you can't train them to do it. They either know it or they don't. So, I have jsut given my dog basic obidience training myself about how to behave in public, to be graceful about little kids pulling on his ears, to sit at my feet under the table at a restaurant, etc. Training for other conditions such as assisting a blind or deaf person would require a specialized trainer I would suppose.

that's really interesting....my daughter has to take anti-seizure meds (she's 42 and has had 5 seizures in her life time)...she has 2 dobermans (which she adores) ......guess they would have to take turns as service dogs...i plan to let her know about this....she'll be intrigued

btw, i went really low carb yesterday, but i am concerned about the fat ....basically my percentage was 90 grams of protein, 94 grams of fat, and 28 grams of carb total kcal was 1534...i never felt hungry at all and actually had to 'force' my dinner which was a romaine salad with one hard boiled egg, and about 6 oz of the pork shoulder roast i had left over...used a dijon vinaigrette and a bit of parmesan...i had 4 cups of romaine so the salad felt huge

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Good lord that's beautiful.
    Thank you. In all honesty comments like this kinda startle me because really, that is just an average, pick-up dinner around my house, nothing special. My Mom always had a flair for presenting fairly ordinary stuff so that it looked like "Ta Da!" so I guess I do a bit of that without thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    that's really interesting....my daughter has to take anti-seizure meds (she's 42 and has had 5 seizures in her life time)...she has 2 dobermans (which she adores) ......guess they would have to take turns as service dogs...i plan to let her know about this....she'll be intrigued

btw, i went really low carb yesterday, but i am concerned about the fat ....basically my percentage was 90 grams of protein, 94 grams of fat, and 28 grams of carb total kcal was 1534...i never felt hungry at all and actually had to 'force' my dinner which was a romaine salad with one hard boiled egg, and about 6 oz of the pork shoulder roast i had left over...used a dijon vinaigrette and a bit of parmesan...i had 4 cups of romaine so the salad felt huge
    She's lucky to have them so infrequently. When mine first started I was getting three or four in a night and having three or four nights like that per week. Arrgg. Those were some dark days in my life.
    I suggest your daughter look up a copy of the Americans With Disabilities Act. I once found a company on line that prints up the portions relevant to service animals and puts it on a little 3x5 card so you can whip it out of your pocket and quote it chapter and verse if someone is trying to give you a hard time about taking your dog with you. I will try to locate that company again.

Just be careful to not have the protein go over 30% of your total by calories.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You definitely have a flair, sweetie.. Like mom, like daughter.

She's lucky to have them so infrequently. When mine first started I was getting three or four in a night and having three or four nights like that per week. Arrgg. Those were some dark days in my life.
    I suggest your daughter look up a copy of the Americans With Disabilities Act. I once found a company on line that prints up the portions relevant to service animals and puts it on a little 3x5 card so you can whip it out of your pocket and quote it chapter and verse if someone is trying to give you a hard time about taking your dog with you. I will try to locate that company again.

Just be careful to not have the protein go over 30% of your total by calories.
    the few she has had were extremely scary....one was while she was on business in NYC and she was out with friends going to dinner and she went DOWN, hit the back of her head on the pavement, bleeding, the whole bit....her friends were totally freaked out, she was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where they did the test, scans etc (she got a concussion from the fall) ....technically she isn't even supposed to drive, but living in atlanta, there is just no way that is going to happen....

i'll be sure to let her know about the ADA info....thanks again...

i'm not sure the cronometer is giving me accurate information, either that or i'm not understanding it properly...the numbers were as follows:

walking
    Minutes

Pork, fresh, shoulder, whole, separable lean and fat, cooked, roasted
    3 oz

Cabbage, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
    1/2 cup, shredded

Pork, fresh, shoulder, whole, separable lean and fat, cooked, roasted
    3 oz

swimming
    Minutes

Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled
    oz

Lettuce, cos or romaine, raw
    cup shredded

Salad dressing, home recipe, vinegar and oil
    tablespoon

Lettuce, cos or romaine, raw
    cup shredded

Cheese, parmesan, grated
    tbsp

Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, white
    serving 5 fl oz

Hill walking
    Minutes

Energy: 1534 (784.5 net) kcal / 767.0 kcal (200%)

Protein: 90.6 g / 46.0 g (197%)

Carbs: 28.7 g / 130.0 g (22%)

Fat: 94.2 g / 65.0 g (145%)

84% of Nutritional Targets Achieved
    Calorie Breakdown

those percentages and dual gram entries have me quite befuddled!

some of it is GIGO....just noticed i entered the romaine TWICE

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    You definitely have a flair, sweetie.. Like mom, like daughter.
    Thanks. It's fun for me. Like painting or sculpting with food.

the few she has had were extremely scary....one was while she was on business in NYC and she was out with friends going to dinner and she went DOWN, hit the back of her head on the pavement, bleeding, the whole bit....her friends were totally freaked out, she was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where they did the test, scans etc (she got a concussion from the fall) ....technically she isn't even supposed to drive, but living in atlanta, there is just no way that is going to happen....

i'll be sure to let her know about the ADA info....thanks again...

i'm not sure the cronometer is giving me accurate information, either that or i'm not understanding it properly...the numbers were as follows:

Energy: 1534 (784.5 net) kcal / 767.0 kcal (200%)
    Protein: 90.6 g / 46.0 g (197%)
    Carbs: 28.7 g / 130.0 g (22%)
    Fat: 94.2 g / 65.0 g (145%)

84% of Nutritional Targets Achieved

those percentages and dual gram entries have me quite befuddled!
    some of it is GIGO....just noticed i entered the romaine TWICE
    That is scary. What a dog can do is give you some advance warning so you have time to go sit down, put down the knife, get out of the intersection, and get to a safe place so you don't hurt yourself.

I think there is something not right about those numbers. If you are trying for ketosis, just focus on the food and don't even enter the exercise stuff. It's the diet that will put you there or not. Exercise is for toning up the muscles but I really think that approaching it with x# calories of workout cancel out x# calories of food is very unreliable. It's really hard to quantify how many calories any given person is burning with x#minutes of swimming. If you find your TDEE based on BMR and an activity multiplier, then just count the food. Any exercise you do then is a bonus.

i agree...something's not right about the numbers...oddly enough, when you 'add a food' the caloric value, fats, protein, carb, etc seem to be accurate....i'll try doing it tomorrow without any exercise added and see what difference that makes...

as far as the exercises go, the caloric burn was entered by me....i use a HRM when i exercise so i get an actual number, which is almost always WAY off of the standard formula methods....for example since i started using cardio tracker for my walks, it calculates my caloric 'burn' according to my weight and activity, and it is about 20% too low (my HRM will say 100 calories burned, and the cardio tracker app says 80)

i really do wish to focus on ketosis after reading your success story....not only for fat loss, but just to see if i get any improvement in the thyroid...i'll probably need to take thyroid meds the rest of my life (i have zilch T4 to T3 conversion with hashi's) but i would be curious if my symptoms get better with PB....if you adhere to the program does it produce ketosis, or is there something else you need to add (or subtract)

i apologize for the questions, i'm really quite impressed with your approach and how your body healed doing this, so i am sort of 'following you' hope you do not mind too much!

Paleobird Guest
    It's OK to track your exercise calories but I would say to keep it separate from the food numbers. If you are trying for ketosis the macro percentages need to be calculated on everything you ate, not "net calories".

I am not an expert on Hashi's and I would suggest consulting your endo before trying for full on ketosis. My only experience with thyroid issues is that chemo leaves your thyroid feeling like it's been ground up and nuked. It has been amazing to feel the healing taking place, feel my energy coming back and my metabolism coming back to life. The body can do some great things if we just get out of our own way.

Have you ever read about the Optimal Diet by Dr Jan Kwasniewski? Don't buy the book as it contains some stuff that is nonsense like that this diet will make a person better morally, etc. (?) But the diet does include a useful formula for figuring out your macros. I know you like geeking out with numbers. Give this a google and see what you think.

And there is no need whatsoever for apologies. Your questions are insightful and welcome.

i'm not seeing an endo....i see a general practitioner who has a naturopath working with him ....hashi's is a fairly straightforward diagnosis...no measuring tsh, t4, t3...although i had all of the tests for hypothyroid as well...hashi's is an autoimmune disorder whereby your thyroid gland is being attacked by your body's immune system, that's why you feel so completely wiped out...there is a test for the anti-bodies produced as a result....anyway....my naturopath is VERY much into anti-inflammatory diets , and from what i am reading paleo is seriously lacking in the foods that trigger the autoimmune response (wheat being the WORST offender)

honestly, i really do not like any percent guides....far too much mental energy consumed to the point where you feel as if just living well and eating well is a science experiment....my HG paleo program would be a basic list of foods, say 3 days worth of menus just to get me started, and give that a try for about a month...i've been reading the site here, and thus far haven't seen anything of that nature....

thank you for being so 'available' to help this total paleo noob!

Paleobird Guest
    i'm not seeing an endo....i see a general practitioner who has a naturopath working with him ....hashi's is a fairly straightforward diagnosis...no measuring tsh, t4, t3...although i had all of the tests for hypothyroid as well...hashi's is an autoimmune disorder whereby your thyroid gland is being attacked by your body's immune system, that's why you feel so completely wiped out...there is a test for the anti-bodies produced as a result....anyway....my naturopath is VERY much into anti-inflammatory diets , and from what i am reading paleo is seriously lacking in the foods that trigger the autoimmune response (wheat being the WORST offender)

honestly, i really do not like any percent guides....far too much mental energy consumed to the point where you feel as if just living well and eating well is a science experiment....my HG paleo program would be a basic list of foods, say 3 days worth of menus just to get me started, and give that a try for about a month...i've been reading the site here, and thus far haven't seen anything of that nature....
    thank you for being so 'available' to help this total paleo noob!
    This is one of the best anti-inflammatory diets ever. When I started my Dad on Primal he had severe inflammation mostly in his lower legs due to diabetes. Within three days of full on Primal eating, he could find his ankle bones again clearly visible for the first time in more than a year.

Whenever Dad wants something he shouldn't have like bagels or granola bars at the store I remind him, that is the stuff that makes your feet swell up and hurt. Do you want to go back to that? No? Then put it back on the shelf.