Page 83 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 83

mdrive is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ?
    The Wolf Cub is a rescue mutt from Baja California so I have no idea what breed he is. I refer to him as my Pure Bred Mexican Street Mutt. A lot of the feral dogs down there are interbred with coyotes so he may be part that and part quien sabe?
    that is fantastic....do you mind if i ask how he was trained to become your 'service' dog? we have a mexican dog as well....she is beautiful....we found her near a vineyard where we were visiting (don't ask about the wine, or you'll go off the wagon!) we were able to see her 'daddy' (huge dog that looked like lab/rottweiler mix...all black, and the mom was your generic looking mexican street dog and was all white....'garnacha' (our dog's name, named after one of our favorite grape varietals) is mostly white with huge black patches and one eye has a black 'patch' we call her the 'holtstein dog' <vbg>

one very lucky dog you have (and us too!)

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you have a busy journal, PB . The bread looks great! I might try it sometime, when I'm ready to step out a bit and start testing again. (Nuts are among my current trigger list sadly. I want to retest butter first, then almond butter - sometime.)
    I got my keto-meter, and have been at 0.3mmol/L the last 2 mornings. That's about average for a morning reading after an overnight fast - not flash at all considering my current eating patterns!! BUT it should deepen as I go along, and get to the sweet spot of 1 - 3 mmol/L over time. My IBS is still absent , and my mood is fine. There's something to the idea that I was constantly on the edge of carb flu last time I tried the low carb approach. Weight has been down the last 2 times I've measured . . . at a 6 year low now. Happy dance!!
    Last edited by Jac; 08-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    i will indeed get the book....finding grassfed beef is a bit of an issue, and fish is not the greatest here (compared to you lucky ones in CA and up and down the coasts)....i did order some grassfed liver and oxtails this morning...and i really wonder if it will show up still frozen in this hot weather!

my diet has never been 'poor' (at least according to the 'normal' healthy eating guidelines) and have always ate plenty of veggies, lean meats, eggs, greek yogurt, etc....the hashi's does really rotten things to your metabolism, feeling excessively fatigued and cold all of the time....

i'm back onto a fitness plan, using fun tools to help me stay motivated (polar HRM, cardio tracker for my android, and a food and exercise web program that seems to be fairly accurate, called cron-o-meter)

i can tell a bit difference in just one week energy wise....and all i'm doing is a 2 mile walk and various weight exercises (dumb bells at home) stretching and lunges out the wazoo...so getting the eating plan down for optimum nutrition is my next really big goal....and the food pr0n helps! thank again...oh and i just saw the gams pic....wow! those are killer....i AM going to get my hot legs back! thanks for the motivation!
    And Rod Stewart sings..."HOT LEGS, you wearing me out. HOT LEGS, you make me scream and shout......" You go girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I'm doing well. I just got back from a sun filled Florida vacation and am enjoying the last weeks of summer before go back to work. I am currently doing Whole 30, but I may still try the bread soon to see if it would work for my kids.
    I'm doing the whole 30 too but I like what Richard at Free the Animal said about this bread having a very limited ingredient list and that the orthorexy about not paleofying anything can be taken to an extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrive View Post
    that is fantastic....do you mind if i ask how he was trained to become your 'service' dog? we have a mexican dog as well....she is beautiful....we found her near a vineyard where we were visiting (don't ask about the wine, or you'll go off the wagon!) we were able to see her 'daddy' (huge dog that looked like lab/rottweiler mix...all black, and the mom was your generic looking mexican street dog and was all white....'garnacha' (our dog's name, named after one of our favorite grape varietals) is mostly white with huge black patches and one eye has a black 'patch' we call her the 'holtstein dog' <vbg>
    one very lucky dog you have (and us too!)
    The ability that a dog has to sense when someone is going to have a seizure is innate, you can't train them to do it. They either know it or they don't. So, I have jsut given my dog basic obidience training myself about how to behave in public, to be graceful about little kids pulling on his ears, to sit at my feet under the table at a restaurant, etc. Training for other conditions such as assisting a blind or deaf person would require a specialized trainer I would suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Wow, you have a busy journal, PB . The bread looks great! I might try it sometime, when I'm ready to step out a bit and start testing again. (Nuts are among my current trigger list sadly. I want to retest butter first, then almond butter - sometime.)
    I got my keto-meter, and have been at 0.3mmol/L the last 2 mornings. That's about average for a morning reading after an overnight fast - not flash at all considering my current eating patterns!! BUT it should deepen as I go along, and get to the sweet spot of 1 - 3 mmol/L over time. My IBS is still absent , and my mood is fine. There's something to the idea that I was constantly on the edge of carb flu last time I tried the low carb approach. Weight has been down the last 2 times I've measured . . . at a 6 year low now. Happy dance!!
    Yay!. Welcome to Ketoland! Yes this bread is pretty nutty. Do coconuts bother you?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    S = K log W
    the more information you have in your head the less time you have to live.
    either empty your noggin or get a bigger brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Crap. I'm screwed.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    paleobird: blame my lack of reading comprehension on exhaustion from running after this kid all the time. LOL it is seriously exhausting sometimes. yesterday, I had three bags and he slipped away from me and went tearing off into the library. there was no way to keep up with him. honestly, I was freaking out because half the time I couldn't see him, and he was tearing around like . . . i don't know what. like crazy.

I had to be very, very stern with him, which of course then people think i'm just the meanest mother ever. "oh, it's so good he's excited bout the library." yes, I know. but he can't' just run around like a crazy person out of my line of sight. There are other people in the library whom he could harm or disrupt, too!

I'm all for him running around, of course, in the right environments, but my goodness! And now he does this new thing where if you grab his hand/wrist when he doesn't' want you too, he goes "ouch! ouch! you are hurting me! it hurts!"

Of course, it doesn't hurt at all, but he'll start yelling it as we're walking down the street as if i'm abusing him.

Thankfully, the only people giving me the evil eye about it are people who obviously don't have kids. Everyone else who does have kids are giving me the old 'yes, know what you are going through, it's ok. no one is going to call child services on you."

It's illegal to spank your children here, but people also realize that sometimes kids just act up/out/crazy. He mostly does this when he wants to run free, but the environment isn't safe, you know? And he'll go "BUT IT IS SAFE!" and "I'M BIG! I CAN DO IT!"

So tired. lol

Paleobird Guest
    Parenting. Arghhh. Zoe, I don't know how you do it. Honestly, not a clue. I probably wouldn't do it nearly as well as you are.

Paleobird Guest
    Photo on 2012-08-16 at 18.03.jpg

Tonight at the Birnest Salad Bar it is the DIY special. Neither of us were particularly hungry tonight so I just put out a bunch of salad stuff and we each made our own.
    This is my creation with avocado, kalamata olives, feta, peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli slaw, shrooms, and in the middle are some shrimp cooked in half a stick of Kerrygold garlic herb butter plus crushed ginger and some extra garlic (wasn't garlicy enough for me) All of this over a bed of hearts of romaine lettuce.

A good hot weather dinner.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Photo on 2012-08-16 at 18.03.jpg

Tonight at the Birnest Salad Bar it is the DIY special. Neither of us were particularly hungry tonight so I just put out a bunch of salad stuff and we each made our own.
    This is my creation with avocado, kalamata olives, feta, peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli slaw, shrooms, and in the middle are some shrimp cooked in half a stick of Kerrygold garlic herb butter plus crushed ginger and some extra garlic (wasn't garlicy enough for me) All of this over a bed of hearts of romaine lettuce.

A good hot weather dinner.
    Now that looks great! I think I'll try your recipe tomorrow night ... Thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    looks like a nice BAS. nothing like a nice BAS now and again!

today was the most glorious day. the last two days have felt very spring-like (Sept 1 is spring here), and today was SUNNY to boot. taught the two classes (woohoo, numbers are well up this week!), and then we went to the park for a good bit of sun, and then came home and DH is making fish and salad for tonight. yay.

and we are going to bed early.

i still can't figure out what to call one of the classes on the schedule, but the blog about them is almost finished!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Now that looks great! I think I'll try your recipe tomorrow night ... Thanks!
    There should be enough ginger and garlic in the butter to make it pretty thick so it coats the shrimp and the flavors stick. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    looks like a nice BAS. nothing like a nice BAS now and again!

today was the most glorious day. the last two days have felt very spring-like (Sept 1 is spring here), and today was SUNNY to boot. taught the two classes (woohoo, numbers are well up this week!), and then we went to the park for a good bit of sun, and then came home and DH is making fish and salad for tonight. yay.
    and we are going to bed early.
    i still can't figure out what to call one of the classes on the schedule, but the blog about them is almost finished!
    Yes, a BAS hits the spot especially in summer. I'm glad business is doing well. You are so fortunate to have a career you love doing.