Page 8 of 306 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 8

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I love hearing about you and your Dad on this journey together...Just beautiful.
    +1
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Dad doesn't need a pull up challenge. He can still do them. In fact, he has been giving me some pointers to help me with my pull up practice. I am still practicing but I have backslid a bit.

At day 4 of fully Primal, his neuropathy pains are completely gone and the puffiness around the feet and ankles is almost gone. He hasn't seen his own ankle bones in a while. Needless to say, this is making an impression on him.

It was so cool the other night when I was invited to my BFF's house for dinner and I brought Dad along. (My BFF is 81 and has always had a crush on my Dad so she didn't mind a bit.) The other guest was a longtime friend and chiropractor who has done work on all of us over the years. She is mostly Primal by default since discovering the source of her digestive issues was a severe gluten intolerance. So we had four Primal peeps around the table sharing salad followed by a grass fed pot roast with parsnips and carrots on the side. (The chiropractor/friend is the one who has her own goats and makes her own yogurt and chevre. Yumm.)

It feels like we are developing a tribe.

Paleobird Guest
    So maybe Paleobird's Next Big Adventure is not about climbing a mountain or diving a reef. Maybe it's eldercare. I figure maybe if I get Dad set on the right course, with good food in his fridge and good habits in his head, then I could still do something like go to Peru and hike the Inca Trail for a week. I could set him up with pre-cooked stuff before leaving and he would probably be just fine. But I don't think I want to take off for any month-long journeys like I have been anytime soon.

And I'm fine with that.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    You are a wonderful daughter.

And your Dad sounds pretty awesome. I wish mine were still able to do pull-ups! Just walking confidently without assistance is a challenge for him thesedays. We are learning to spend our time together in much quieter pursuits that the sporting glories of our past.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Hi Robin,

I'm not really around much anymore, but I noticed you post somewhere else and had to drop by to say hello. I was thinking about you just the other week actually. I was going to write you a proper letter since I have your address and it seemed a shame to lose touch just because the forum has become such a collection of weirdos lately.
    Anyway, you've turned up here again so I guess it's not necessary.

I'm glad to hear that things are well with you and your Pop is doing so well on his new regime. The fact that he can still do pull ups is pretty damn amazing!

I'm not really following Primal anymore as written. I still eat real food but I'm much higher carb now and it's working brilliantly for me. My hypothyroid symptoms and skin problems really are a thing of the past now, but I feel a bit weird hanging out here in carb-phobia land now that I'm eating much more 50C/30P/20F than 50F/30P/20C these days.

I don't know if you kept abreast (ha-ha, pun definitely intended) of my journal, but I had cosmetic surgery in January to get rid of the excess skin from my 100lb weight loss (abdominoplasty) and to fix my boobs too (lift and augment). Things are going really well with my healing and I feel like a new woman too. Clothes sit much better and I feel way more confidant out of my clothes too which is having a wonderful effect on my love life....

Mmmm I'm starting to think I should have written that letter after all. Long story short, I'm happy you're back and I may come around a little more often to say 'Hi' now too. <3
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 05-18-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    You are a wonderful daughter.

And your Dad sounds pretty awesome. I wish mine were still able to do pull-ups! Just walking confidently without assistance is a challenge for him thesedays. We are learning to spend our time together in much quieter pursuits that the sporting glories of our past.
    Thank you Sigi and yes he is awesome. My Dad and I used to go running together back in the day. Now we take the dog for a walk together. Time moves on and things evolve. It's the being together that matters, not what you are doing.

About walking without assistance, have you gotten your Dad to think about Primal eating? I think a lot of the balance issues that older people tend to have are really lack of nerve sensations in their lower extremities causing them to feel disconnected from the ground and unsteady. My Dad is already walking better since the swelling has gone down.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Hi Robin,

I'm not really around much anymore, but I noticed you post somewhere else and had to drop by to say hello. I was thinking about you just the other week actually. I was going to write you a proper letter since I have your address and it seemed a shame to lose touch just because the forum has become such a collection of weirdos lately.
    Anyway, you've turned up here again so I guess it's not necessary.

I'm glad to hear that things are well with you and your Pop is doing so well on his new regime. The fact that he can still do pull ups is pretty damn amazing!

I'm not really following Primal anymore as written. I still eat real food but I'm much higher carb now and it's working brilliantly for me. My hypothyroid symptoms and skin problems really are a thing of the past now, but I feel a bit weird hanging out here in carb-phobia land now that I'm eating much more 50C/30P/20F than 50F/30P/20C these days.

I don't know if you kept abreast (ha-ha, pun definitely intended) of my journal, but I had cosmetic surgery in January to get rid of the excess skin from my 100lb weight loss (abdominoplasty) and to fix my boobs too (lift and augment). Things are going really well with my healing and I feel like a new woman too. Clothes sit much better and I feel way more confidant out of my clothes too which is having a wonderful effect on my love life....

Mmmm I'm starting to think I should have written that letter after all. Long story short, I'm happy you're back and I may come around a little more often to say 'Hi' now too. <3
    EEEEEEMMMMMMMM! It's so good to see you. I know what you mean about the "collection of weirdos". I took about a six month break from MDA and that did me a world of good.

I'm so glad that you are getting your beautiful new body re-sculpted a bit. 100 pounds! Wow. That is seriously impressive. Much respect.

And I don't really think MDA is carb phobic. If anything lately there seems to have been a real shift toward embracing the "good" carbs and realizing that what works for one person doesn't work for someone else. Low carb works for some but not for all and for some it even causes problems such as your thyroid issues. I'm glad you are getting that sorted out.

Are you still working on your pull ups?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Hi Robin,

Em, This was exactly my experience. I eat the same carbs as you do now and gasp sometimes I even hit 75g. I don't really think MDA is carb phobic, though the VLC gang may be louder. In fact, lately there have been a flurry of posts about people who upped their carbs and felt better. Everybody sort of does their own thing within the Primal framework. As to the weirdos...well yeah we've got some of those. Eh, just ignore them. Please Hang Out!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Em, This was exactly my experience. I eat the same carbs as you do now and gasp sometimes I even hit 75g. I don't really think MDA is carb phobic, though the VLC gang may be louder. In fact, lately there have been a flurry of posts about people who upped their carbs and felt better. Everybody sort of does their own thing within the Primal framework. As to the weirdos...well yeah we've got some of those. Eh, just ignore them. Please Hang Out!
    There have been several shouting matches lately with equally vocal and extreme nonsense on both sides. There are a few hard core zero carb fanatics but, on the other hand there are Chaco and the Studs saying that if you aren't scarfing down a whole bag of sweet potatoes a day, you are going to die of malnutrition. OK, just a bit of hyperbole but not that much.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I just eat my carbs and keep my mouth shut. I don' t get Choco. He seems to be saying that it does not matter if we are primal or not. Just cut calories and you will lose weight. In his opinion both low fat high carb and high fat low carb are fine. Of course, he has never been fat, middle aged or female.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 8 of 306 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast