Page 75 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 75

  1. #741
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Zoe,
    Yes, and posting here is lots less aggravating than long debates with the demented "dr anna". Although the rest of us always loved reading your rational and well researched posts, I'm sure that kind of thing must be time consuming. Pesky little thing called having a life gets in the way.

    I'm glad you are well. Sounds like DS is being trained well to take his place in the Primal HG tribe. Archery is definitely a skill that could come in handy if civilization were without power for a while. Ever since the bushmen in Africa taught me how to shoot a bow, I have thought about taking that up as a pastime.

  2. #742
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,702
    Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

    Your meals look so delicious. I'm finding staying low carb has helped me keep the weight off that I lost on my vacation. I'm so happy. I did have to struggle a little bit to get back into low carb. Last Tuesday I was feeling really quite weak and tired. But I made it to the other side and feel a lot better. Now my big conundrum is I bought some strange bananas at the Asian market and really wanted to try them out but now I'm not so sure I want to undo the adjustment period I went through.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

  3. #743
    avocadogirl's Avatar
    avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

    There seem to be many "doctors" over there on those threads. The iodine thread has yet again jumped the shark. Dr James and his premise that AIDS is caused by HHV-6 is so ridiculous I can't even...if I had more time to sit at my laptop instead of write replies on my smart phone, I would school him in some basic biochemistry and virology. But usually people like these "doctors" are so wrapped up in their "theories", it's not worth arguing.

    Speaking of which, Paleobird, I read your comments there and kudos to you for standing up to such craziness. But it is craziness, and one can't engage with these people. I sent a snip-it to my former colleague still working at MIT, and we had a virtual face palm over those conversations. I worry about individuals that are vulnerable and willing to fall for anything, like overdosing on iodine or believing HIV doesn't exist.

    Sigh.

    I loved your description of your wolf cub conversing at the zoo. What breed is your dog?

  4. #744
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Dr Anna? Or Dr "Insulin never got anybody fat" Taco?

    Your meals look so delicious. I'm finding staying low carb has helped me keep the weight off that I lost on my vacation. I'm so happy. I did have to struggle a little bit to get back into low carb. Last Tuesday I was feeling really quite weak and tired. But I made it to the other side and feel a lot better. Now my big conundrum is I bought some strange bananas at the Asian market and really wanted to try them out but now I'm not so sure I want to undo the adjustment period I went through.
    "Dr" anna was that whack job on the circumcision thread. Certifiable. Chaco and I have been duking it out for ages. It's almost like a game with us. I actually think he's a sweet kid but he flits from one extreme thing to the next, each time evangelizing about it as if it were the One True Path. The reason I like Chaco is that he reminds me of myself at that age. He definitely needs to work on the not generalizing one healthy fit young male's experience to the whole human race.

    Low carb rocks!!!! 3.5 pounds down in 10 days. And I don't think this is "water weight" since I was already fairly low carb and totally Primal so this is not a big transition plus it has been steady progression by half pound increments.

    Some asian bananas are really starchy (not sure about the kind you got). The folks in Vanuatu make this stuff called lap-lap which is these kind of bananas mixed with coconut and then wrapped in a leaf and cooked over a fire. The result is this gelatinous grey glop with absolutely no flavor.

    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    There seem to be many "doctors" over there on those threads. The iodine thread has yet again jumped the shark. Dr James and his premise that AIDS is caused by HHV-6 is so ridiculous I can't even...if I had more time to sit at my laptop instead of write replies on my smart phone, I would school him in some basic biochemistry and virology. But usually people like these "doctors" are so wrapped up in their "theories", it's not worth arguing.

    Speaking of which, Paleobird, I read your comments there and kudos to you for standing up to such craziness. But it is craziness, and one can't engage with these people. I sent a snip-it to my former colleague still working at MIT, and we had a virtual face palm over those conversations. I worry about individuals that are vulnerable and willing to fall for anything, like overdosing on iodine or believing HIV doesn't exist.

    Sigh.

    I loved your description of your wolf cub conversing at the zoo. What breed is your dog?
    James is indeed a piece of work. And you're right, there is no point in having a rational discussion with a crazy person. I signed off of that thread. Better things to do.

    The Wolf Cub is a rescue mutt from Baja California so I have no idea what breed he is. I refer to him as my Pure Bred Mexican Street Mutt. A lot of the feral dogs down there are interbred with coyotes so he may be part that and part quien sabe?

  5. #745
    avocadogirl's Avatar
    avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    192
    Aww! Wolf Cub sounds like our Dingo-dog. She's part Australian cattle dog, part Border Collie, some Labrador thrown in, a lot of energy and chattiness and hefty parts of "I want to herd you", but she looks like a black Dingo.

    Yup, just gotta let go of those sorts of threads. If you want to read something awesome about the future of science and cancer research:

    17-year-old girl builds artificial ‘brain’ to detect breast cancer - Future of Tech on NBCNews.com

    Young girls + STEM education = awesome. It totally made my day.

  6. #746
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    Aww! Wolf Cub sounds like our Dingo-dog. She's part Australian cattle dog, part Border Collie, some Labrador thrown in, a lot of energy and chattiness and hefty parts of "I want to herd you", but she looks like a black Dingo.

    Yup, just gotta let go of those sorts of threads. If you want to read something awesome about the future of science and cancer research:
    17-year-old girl builds artificial ‘brain’ to detect breast cancer - Future of Tech on NBCNews.com
    Young girls + STEM education = awesome. It totally made my day.
    That was an awesome article. Thanks for posting that. I love to see young women knocking down the old stereotypes of "girls aren't good at math and science".

  7. #747
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Today was day 11 of the Challenge.

    Another .5 lb gone. That makes 3.5 so far. Whoot!

    I just made what is quite possibly the best marinara sauce in human history. My neighbors have a very bountiful garden and keep planting more than they can possibly use then unloading the extras on me. Today I got a big bag of tomatoes that were still warm from the sun and a huge bunch of fresh basil. I had been planning on meatballs anyway but with the store bought sauce. This was way better. Tomatoes, basil, olives, feta, onion, garlic, pepper, and coconut manna. Oh, the yumminess.

    So I have no idea about my calories and such for the day. If I use the store sauce jar as a general guide, I came out about right.

    This was a total rest up day as far as any exercise. I think it's a good thing to have at least one of those in a week. Even the dog thought it was a good day to just chill out of the sun.

  8. #748
    Wrenwood's Avatar
    Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128
    Hi Paleobird, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my no-carb-flu question; appreciate it. Oddly, I used to be a tremendous carb addict but gradually improved in that area with a lot of self-discipline in the year prior to learning about primal. I have to say it is very easy to avoid carb pig-outs if I just eat enough good fats.

    Your marinara sauce description is making me hungry though.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

    "...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

  9. #749
    Crabbcakes's Avatar
    Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,253
    hey Paleobird!

    I have been reading your journal without posting much, so this is my official phase-in to say hello. I like the bits about the service dog. I have been thinking of getting one for Third (my third daughter), but haven't found any place suitable yet. Either it is a place that will train dogs for non-traditional disabilities for a huge price, or it is a place that trains dogs for free but Third's disability set isn't included on their list of "we train for this...". Huh. I'll figure it all out eventually - I think you know how it is - your antennae are just permanently out when you have issues to deal with, and "service dog" is one of the terms I brake for.

    Just as a question - back when I was a veg, I would sometimes put myself inadvertently into what I think was a ketosis state through bad eating (way too many leafy greens - a great love of mine - very little fruit, some fat, and almost no protein, which was the faulty part of my diet) and hubby would know because he would complain about the breath. Do you expect to get that?

    We took the whole family to the Cleveland Zoo today, and saw the singing dogs, too - but alas, no singing. Everything at the zoo was kind of reallllly chilled out. Barely anything moved except the lorikeets and the moms/dads pushing/carrying wee ones. Highlight of the day - the bald eagle. I could have stayed there all day.

  10. #750
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Hi Paleobird, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my no-carb-flu question; appreciate it. Oddly, I used to be a tremendous carb addict but gradually improved in that area with a lot of self-discipline in the year prior to learning about primal. I have to say it is very easy to avoid carb pig-outs if I just eat enough good fats.

    Your marinara sauce description is making me hungry though.
    I went low carb before finding primal too. That may have eased the transition.

    Coconut manna is a great way to get extra fat into things. And I have a whole big mason jar of the sauce left over for several more meals.

    I like my neighbors.

    Dad and I have helped out with their garden in a lot of ways. They are a young couple with a little kid and my Dad kind of likes being honorary grandpa to the kid and mentor to the dad. My Dad donated a lot of tools to the gardening effort, things that were just gathering dust in his workshop but that would have been pretty expensive for that couple just starting out to stock up on.

    I helped get the planting beds set up. Its a series of terraces that goes up a hillside so there are little retaining walls keeping everything together.

    So, we have been given free run of the garden to pick any time we want.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •