Page 74 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 74

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Hey, that's great news. I knew you'd kick butt w/ the tapering off meds & the ketosis.

I'm increasing my weights & reps, swimming faster & longer, getting leaner where it counts & where I've needed it (tummy & lower back) & starting to noticeably bulk up some where a man likes to(upper bod). I'm IFing longer, working out harder, & eating a raw 3 egg smoothie w/ whey, kefir,palm oil or coco oil & no or little carbs & I'm lovin the clean crisp feeling. Not drinking coffee except on weekends. And my mom is doing much much better, she is nearing the 20lb loss mark any day now, since starting about a month ago. She'd lost 18lbs as of this morning... More importantly, she's getting fat adapted some & skipped breakfast for the 1st time on her own, voluntarily & happily, without falling out or freaking out due to plummenting blood sugar. She's getting "it" & getting into "it" a bit more too. Which is great for her (& me). I think she actually/finally is liking Primal for the 1st time, maybe it's the way she feels, gets to eat til full & is still losing weight...
    Thanks, so far so good. Sounds like you and Rita are both doing well. 18 lbs is damn good! Send her my regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    PB, your meals look fantastic - I'm also loving reading the American food journals since it's late summer and the meals remind me of long hot days . The cherry blossom trees are just starting here, which is the final showing of winter.

I wondered - have you read about people who can't handle low carb and get depressed? I stopped low carbing because my mood plummeted over a period of weeks, but now I want to know if maybe I just didn't do it right? (I'm also a little scared of developing depression, as I've had it badly before - but not for years and years). Do you have any thoughts about that? I'd be really interested!
    Hello Jac. How ya been?
    I am not a doctor and you have some medical challenges that I know very little about (e.g. IBS). That said, I really think there are a lot of people who are convinced that they tried ketosis and hated it and just could never do it but really never got well and truly into it.

It takes most people a couple of weeks *minimum* of seriously sustained low carb to get there. If you just have a little cheat here and there backslide a bit due to stress or whatever in life, you start over at square one. And the time needed to get into ketosis and the degree of discomfort the transition will cause can vary greatly depending on metabolism and the degree to which you are insulin resistant. So many people never really get there, they just bounce along the border in perpetual carb flu land. That would not be any fun.

I am not a psychiatrist but I know a lot of people have had a lot of success on this board treating depression with Primal eating. Primal does not necessarily have to be ketosis or even seriously low carb. (I started a thread about depression a while back on behalf of a friend of mine and got lots of wonderful feedback.)

For me, ketosis feels like I can leap tall buildings in single bounds. Your body might not react the same way. One thing I do know though is that, if you are going to go for ketosis, you need to really go for it seriously, dive in not just stick a toe in the water. If it doesn't work and you start feeling crappy, start eating your kumara again. Worth a try? Your call.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    PB and anyone else on this thread that wants to chime in - I have a question about ketosis and carb flu that I'd like to ask (don't mean to hijack your thread). I never experienced anything like carb flu and switching to primal was incredibly easy for me. I don't know what my pre-primal carb levels were but probably pretty bad - my meals were 50% giant salads with a little protein and fat, 30% "healthy" carbs (fruit, whole grains), and 20% fast food for convenience with occasional candy bars. Plus too much coffee "for energy" daily.

When I started primal, I kept carbs at or below 100g/day, then cut to 50g/day and saw increased weight loss (15 lbs in about 6 weeks). Currently I've been experimenting with shooting for an average of 50g instead of an exact number. I do count calories and stay around 1200/day net of exercise. Since I started varying carb amounts by day, I've lost a few more pounds but not enough to definitely demonstrate that this is a significant factor.

So I guess my questions is: If I never had carb flu, does that mean I'm still eating too many carbs for me? I would welcome your opinion.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Paleobird Guest
    Hi, Wrenwood (yet another bird for the Birdnest)

No, if you never had carb flu I think it means you were not that much of a carb junkie in the first place. Your giant salads and "healthy carbs" sound a lot like my pre-primal diet. My only "fast food" weakness was pizza but I never really liked sweets that much. It doesn't sound like they were an every day thing for you either.

You also cut down gradually from 100 to 50ish and were keeping an eye on your calories. Sensible. When I started Primal I counted carbs religiously but should have kept a lid on the calories too.

I never had one bit of carb flu.

BTW, I'm down another half pound today for a total of 3 in 9 days since the August Challenge started. And this is not water fluctuations up an down. This is a stead progression downward of a half pound every couple of days. Yeah, ketosis works.

Paleobird Guest
    The Wolf Cub and I went to the zoo today. I have a membership so I can go whenever I want and not feel like I have to see the whole thing in one day. The San Diego Zoo is a big place. Plus we walked there and back so we got our exercise in for the day. The Wolf Cub is now lying on his side panting under the ceiling fan.

There is one animal called the "singing dogs of New Guinea" and they really do sing. They look like a regular medium size generic tan dog but they have the ability to modulate their vocalization so it sounds like singing. The thing is , my dog does that too. The New Guinea guys and my dog were having a conversation through the fence. People were staring and recording it. It really sounded like they were having a chat. It wasn't aggressive or anything it was more like, "Hey, how ya doing? Do you think you could break us out of here?"

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The Wolf Cub and I went to the zoo today. I have a membership so I can go whenever I want and not feel like I have to see the whole thing in one day. The San Diego Zoo is a big place. Plus we walked there and back so we got our exercise in for the day. The Wolf Cub is now lying on his side panting under the ceiling fan.

There is one animal called the "singing dogs of New Guinea" and they really do sing. They look like a regular medium size generic tan dog but they have the ability to modulate their vocalization so it sounds like singing. The thing is , my dog does that too. The New Guinea guys and my dog were having a conversation through the fence. People were staring and recording it. It really sounded like they were having a chat. It wasn't aggressive or anything it was more like, "Hey, how ya doing? Do you think you could break us out of here?"
    I'm amazed you can take your dog to the zoo!!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

That is so cool.. It's why, tho, I can't go to zoos or even shelters; I want to break them all out and bring them home with me.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Cool about your dog! One of our Golden Retrievers (the one we got from the rescue people) also sings. He accompanies hubby when he plays his saxophone. He can modulate his voice, too, and even gets in that raspy lounge-singer tone. When hubby was in the hospital (collision with a deer), they let me bring the dog to visit! Everyone loved petting him!

It's nice they let you bring a dog into the zoo, I'm surprised at that, also.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I'm amazed you can take your dog to the zoo!!
    My dog is officially a medical alert service dog. He knows when I am going to have a seizure before I do and alerts me. Kinda cool. That gets him into anywhere a seeing eye dog for a blind person would be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    That is so cool.. It's why, tho, I can't go to zoos or even shelters; I want to break them all out and bring them home with me.
    I so wanted to take those two singing dogs home. I could have three part harmony going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Cool about your dog! One of our Golden Retrievers (the one we got from the rescue people) also sings. He accompanies hubby when he plays his saxophone. He can modulate his voice, too, and even gets in that raspy lounge-singer tone. When hubby was in the hospital (collision with a deer), they let me bring the dog to visit! Everyone loved petting him!

It's nice they let you bring a dog into the zoo, I'm surprised at that, also.
    That's too funny. The Wolf Cub got lots of attention today. I think some of the little kids thought he was more interesting than the leopards and panthers and pandas (who were just lying there snoozing in the heat).
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-10-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    I just realized that I totally forgot to take a picture of dinner. I was HUNGRY.

So, just visualize two succulent grass fed beef filets sauteed to medium rare in chile infused butter with a side of green beans. That was it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sounds like great progress for august!

i've opted that it's ok to post here now and again, so long as I'm containing myself, and I am. Also, not much to comment on anyway. But i have used my time to read your journal.

work is going excellent. australia was great (and profitable!); work itself is chugging along and starting to decrease (because I'm getting things done).

waist and other measurements are the same, which is awesome, and I can't wait to start skating again in October! yay!

your walk to the zoo (and around) sounds awesome. we're doing DS's birthday at the zoo this year with 3 friends (and their moms). My friend is making the cake, and then i'm bringing fruit/dip and then veggies/dip. Should be lots of fun.

he's getting bow/arrows for his birthday (plus a case to lock them into) -- and then our friend (well, to be sure, the post man who delivers our packages, Rua (roo-Uh)) told us about the archery club just down the way. they said that DS has the right equipment (though they usually provide started equipment), and they meet on sundays for lessons. That's cool, but runs into parkour time. Luckily, we only do the parkour lesson 1x month, so that leaves 3 for archery. We have our daily parkour practice, and DS does a "free run" at the park basically on his own. well, i mean, we are there supervising, but not necessarily doing the run ourselves.