Page 73 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 73

  1. #721
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Also... a little bit goes a long way. It's not like one needs to use a ton of sesame oil to get that lovely flavor.
    I don't care who's "no-no" list it goes on... I'm keeping it!
    That's OK, I won't tell Chaco (aka the PUFA patrol).

  2. #722
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0218.jpg

    OK, this is the new and improved version of the BAS except this is more of a SAS. Same pretty presentation just on salad plates instead of dinner plates. I really think I have been overstuffing on the greenery. Some is definitely a good part of a healthy diet but we are not gorillas.

    Also I'm keeping the protein portions a little more reasonable. This is a 7 oz ahi steak instead of the 12-14 oz ones I would normally buy. Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis just like a piece of cake would.

  3. #723
    Sigi's Avatar
    Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    A US "stick" of butter is usually 8 tbs. Do you every buy Kerrygold? It would be one of those bricks cut lenghthwise, about 115 grams. But the amount of butter in the recipe doesn't have to be exact. Err on the side of more butter when making pate.
    We don't have Kerrygold here, but good quality grassfed butter is very easy to find. Our "sticks" are 250 g.

    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Also... a little bit goes a long way. It's not like one needs to use a ton of sesame oil to get that lovely flavor.
    I don't care who's "no-no" list it goes on... I'm keeping it!
    Amen. It adds a wonderful flavour.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

    Oscar Wilde

  4. #724
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    DSCN0218.jpg

    OK, this is the new and improved version of the BAS except this is more of a SAS. Same pretty presentation just on salad plates instead of dinner plates. I really think I have been overstuffing on the greenery. Some is definitely a good part of a healthy diet but we are not gorillas.

    Also I'm keeping the protein portions a little more reasonable. This is a 7 oz ahi steak instead of the 12-14 oz ones I would normally buy. Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis just like a piece of cake would.
    You're going for the deep & sustained ketosis, so yes, you're definitely correct about being knocked out of ketosis by excess protein, which many people disregard, forget, don't believe or don't know. And that fat must be consumed in pretty outrageous amounts, as compared to what most people consider a normal pat of butter, hehe.

    Btw, that looks like a LOT of feta cheese though (which I adore & am buying some Bulgarian sheep lacto-bifidus-feta today). Things to be wary of while getting into &/or staying in true ketosis. Fat fat fat, no or very little fruits, limited dairy unless its lactose has been eliminated or reduced, moderate protein, & oh yeah, more fat with your fat, & include a side of fat with that... 80/10/10 is difficult for most people to do for any number of uninterrupted weeks, much less days... I admire you for "going for it" & await more details of your deep,longish ketogenic journey.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-07-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  5. #725
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    We don't have Kerrygold here, but good quality grassfed butter is very easy to find. Our "sticks" are 250 g.
    So, if you cut one of those roughly down the middle, that should work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    You're going for the deep & sustained ketosis, so yes, you're definitely correct about being knocked out of ketosis by excess protein, which many people disregard, forget, don't believe or don't know. And that fat must be consumed in pretty outrageous amounts, as compared to what most people consider a normal pat of butter, hehe.

    Btw, that looks like a LOT of feta cheese though (which I adore & am buying some Bulgarian sheep lacto-bifidus-feta today). Things to be wary of while getting into &/or staying in true ketosis. Fat fat fat, no or very little fruits, limited dairy unless its lactose has been eliminated or reduced, moderate protein, & oh yeah, more fat with your fat, & include a side of fat with that... 80/10/10 is difficult for most people to do for any number of uninterrupted weeks, much less days... I admire you for "going for it" & await more details of your deep,longish ketogenic journey.
    Not necessarily 80/10/10. The plan that Johns Hopkins is doing in their work on adult epilepsy is a little less stringent than the ones they have done in years before with pediatric epilepsy but they are getting the same excellent results. The optimal, according to them is 64% fat/ 30% protein/6%carbs. So, it is really strict on the carbs but leaves a little more leeway to have some protein with your fat. That works for me. I'm not that much of a carb fan anyway but I do like my meat.

  6. #726
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Well, sorry folks but I didn't get a picture of tonight's dinner. It looked very much like last night only with southwestern meatloaf on the salad instead of ahi and avocado slices around the edges.

    So, the August Challenge has been on for a week and things are going well. I got 2 LHT workouts done, 1 sprint day, and about 5 hours of walking. I've ben staying strictly keto and last night started cutting my medication dose a bit. I slept fine. I had a bit of a headache today but I think that was mostly dehydration. It's been quite hot.

    And holding at two pounds down for the week. Not bad, all in all.

  7. #727
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Tonight we had minute steaks with a side order of mashed cauliflower and a avo/olive/tomato accent just for color and yums.

    DSCN0220.jpg

    I did ten sprints but my dog bailed on me after only 5 and sat down in the shade. I figured it was a two 'fer on the 30 day challenge, getting my exercise and sun, but the dog thought I was nuts. It was pretty hot.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.

  8. #728
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0221.jpg

    Lamb chops with a side of kale and sweet peppers is the special tonight at the Birdnest Bar and Grill.

    I did an LHT workout today and feel awesome. This is day 4 of the lower med dose and I think it is making a difference. I am waking up easier in the morning.

    Did I mention that I like ketosis?

  9. #729
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Hey, that's great news. I knew you'd kick butt w/ the tapering off meds & the ketosis. I was busy today & tonight & came in @ 7pm famished. Parental unit had forgotten to put the babyback ribs in the oven, so I improvised: reheated last night's leftover chicken sausage (w/ aged smoked white chedder & spinach mixed in it), chopped up some red & yellow peppers (hey like you sorta...), sliced cukes, my saurkraut & poured my habanero hot sauce over the 2 sausages.

    Lunch was leftovers too, yummy ones (last of the pulled pork & mussels in a veggie stir fry w/ konjac angel hair pasta), as I cleaned out/reorganized the fridge today & they were calling out to be eaten...

    I'm increasing my weights & reps, swimming faster & longer, getting leaner where it counts & where I've needed it (tummy & lower back) & starting to noticeably bulk up some where a man likes to(upper bod). I'm IFing longer, working out harder, & eating a raw 3 egg smoothie w/ whey, kefir,palm oil or coco oil & no or little carbs & I'm lovin the clean crisp feeling. Not drinking coffee except on weekends. And my mom is doing much much better, she is nearing the 20lb loss mark any day now, since starting about a month ago. She'd lost 18lbs as of this morning... More importantly, she's getting fat adapted some & skipped breakfast for the 1st time on her own, voluntarily & happily, without falling out or freaking out due to plummenting blood sugar. She's getting "it" & getting into "it" a bit more too. Which is great for her (& me). I think she actually/finally is liking Primal for the 1st time, maybe it's the way she feels, gets to eat til full & is still losing weight...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  10. #730
    Jac's Avatar
    Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,376
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PB, your meals look fantastic - I'm also loving reading the American food journals since it's late summer and the meals remind me of long hot days . The cherry blossom trees are just starting here, which is the final showing of winter.

    I wondered - have you read about people who can't handle low carb and get depressed? I stopped low carbing because my mood plummeted over a period of weeks, but now I want to know if maybe I just didn't do it right? (I'm also a little scared of developing depression, as I've had it badly before - but not for years and years). Do you have any thoughts about that? I'd be really interested!
    Started Feb 18 2011

    Journalling here

    "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •