Page 72 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 72

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I checked out the book Odd Bits on amazon. There's a list of recipes plus an example recipe that's really complicated. I tend not to want to follow recipes with lots of fancy ingredients or complicated steps. Does this book tell you anywhere just the simple processes to cook the odd bits or does it just have a lot of complicated recipes? In other words, I would rather like to know what parts of the odd bit I need to cut off and what cooking style is best (slow, quick sear, okay to eat rare, best marinated etc), not just have a full-fledged recipe.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Right, thank you for the very prompt response!
    I think thats too low carb for me for the reasons I mentioned - shame, but you have to know yourself and abide by what's right for you, don't you
    I guess I will simply "play" with lowering carbs a bit, increasing fat a bit and keeping protein sort of where it is. Interesting anyway.
    Yes you do. I hope that helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I had the same butter issue because butter here is usually sold in a 454g brick (so 1 pound of butter). A stick of butter is 1/4 pound (or 1/2 cup), so as PB said, about 115g.
    I wish the US would just hurry up already and catch up with the rest of the civilized world by going metric. It would make everything easier.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I checked out the book Odd Bits on amazon. There's a list of recipes plus an example recipe that's really complicated. I tend not to want to follow recipes with lots of fancy ingredients or complicated steps. Does this book tell you anywhere just the simple processes to cook the odd bits or does it just have a lot of complicated recipes? In other words, I would rather like to know what parts of the odd bit I need to cut off and what cooking style is best (slow, quick sear, okay to eat rare, best marinated etc), not just have a full-fledged recipe.
    That book has all that info too, like how to prep a kidney. Plus some fancy and a lot of pretty straightforward recipes.

primal me is offline Member
    If you are looking for a cookbook with easy to follow recipes check out The Food Lover's Make it Paleo. I know Mark has posted from it, he wrote the forward! They have the recipes online so you can give it a test drive. So far we love what I have made so far. The ingredients are all easy to find and the directions are simple and straight forward.

www.http://beta.primal-palate.com/
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! From their website, I searched for prawns, nothing came back. Shrimp search revealed loads of recipes. Was planning on having shrimp stir fry tonight (actually thawed both local prawns & some wild scallops too). Surprisingly, the Paleo site lists sesame oil (which I recently bought some, date stamped, high quality). Funny...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Thanks very much for the cookbook recommendation and the liver pate recipe. I might just try that. I use recipes more as a general guideline except of course for baking which I no longer do. But if the contents are unfamiliar ... somewhere among my books I have a cookbook from the 1940s - I'll bet it has some offal prep tips and recipes too (not to mention some awful ones).
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Owly is offline Senior Member
    If you can get your hands on an old Joy of Cooking, there are instructions on how to cook offal in there. Also, some recipes for cooking things like possum and squirrel, should you be so inclined.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primal me View Post
    If you are looking for a cookbook with easy to follow recipes check out The Food Lover's Make it Paleo. I know Mark has posted from it, he wrote the forward! They have the recipes online so you can give it a test drive. So far we love what I have made so far. The ingredients are all easy to find and the directions are simple and straight forward.
    www.http://beta.primal-palate.com/
    Thank you, Primal Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Thanks! From their website, I searched for prawns, nothing came back. Shrimp search revealed loads of recipes. Was planning on having shrimp stir fry tonight (actually thawed both local prawns & some wild scallops too). Surprisingly, the Paleo site lists sesame oil (which I recently bought some, date stamped, high quality). Funny...
    Are shrimp and prawns the same thing only different sizes or are they different critters altogether? Why is sesame oil surprising?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Thanks very much for the cookbook recommendation and the liver pate recipe. I might just try that. I use recipes more as a general guideline except of course for baking which I no longer do. But if the contents are unfamiliar ... somewhere among my books I have a cookbook from the 1940s - I'll bet it has some offal prep tips and recipes too (not to mention some awful ones).
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    If you can get your hands on an old Joy of Cooking, there are instructions on how to cook offal in there. Also, some recipes for cooking things like possum and squirrel, should you be so inclined.
    I love my Mom's old Julia Childe's book. All that butter.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thank you, Primal Me.
    Are shrimp and prawns the same thing only different sizes or are they different critters altogether? Why is sesame oil surprising?
    I love my Mom's old Julia Childe's book. All that butter.
    Shrimp is a phrase we use pretty much only in the USA. Prawns are shrimp, shrimp are prawns, though some would argue size matters. That the small prawns are shrimps coz they are so small... These I used tonight were not quite jumbos but they are pretty big 'uns, size 26s & 28s but mostly 30s.
    Love 'em with their heads & tails still on, all squishy & yummy...

Sesame oil was surprising on a Paleo recipe blog, coz they poo poo dairy & too much saturated fats, ok, I get their rationale. But sesame oil? Was Paleo Pete grinding the seeds & squeezing the mash through his loin cloth to isolate the oil? Sesame are fairly high in PUFAs, but it's fine for a special meal, like tonight's Chinese stir fry. I love tahini & used to eat it all the time, before I knew better. It was my go-to-nutbutter when I gave up peanut butter in the 90s... I also love black sesame seeds with honey, lovely & simple dessert, which I used to eat & stockpile in Kerala, India for my onward travels. I bought a small bottle of black sesame oil, I'll use it infrequently, keep it in the fridge, & enjoy it's unique hard-to-replace flavor when I cook Chinese or Japanese stir fry.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Sesame oil makes all the difference in the taste of a seaweed salad too.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sesame oil makes all the difference in the taste of a seaweed salad too.
    Also... a little bit goes a long way. It's not like one needs to use a ton of sesame oil to get that lovely flavor.
    I don't care who's "no-no" list it goes on... I'm keeping it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.