Page 71 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 71

  1. #701
    Wrenwood's Avatar
    Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    128
    Shop Now
    Paleobird, your food posts always sound/look so delicious. Do you have any particular recipe source you like? I was just lamenting my inability to get started with any organ meats, as the only one I know how to cook is liver which won't go down my throat. I remember eating beef heart as a kid but have never tried preparing it.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

    "...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

  2. #702
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I highly recommend this book for getting started with offal :Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

    But mostly I don't cook from recipes at all. I just sort of stir in a bit of this, a little of that, and a pinch of something else, stir, taste, adjust if needed.

    Best pate ever (great way to work liver into your world)

    2lbs liver sliced
    cook in 1 stick of butter
    season while cooking (I like garlic, Italian herbs, s&p)
    put the whole mess into the blender (or use hand blender) adding 1 cup heavy cream
    blend the living daylights out of it 'til really smooth

    put in tupperware cups and chill

    I sometimes add in other stuff like mushrooms, onions, capers, a splash of sherry while cooking, etc. but I have been finding that this recipe keeps getting better the more I simplify it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.

  3. #703
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Speaking of offal..........

    DSCN0217.jpg

    That is half of a grass fed beef heart plus asparagus and mushrooms cooked in my homemade bone broth. I couldn't finish that whole piece without the assistance of my dog.

  4. #704
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Did my LHT today and kicked butt. I like ketosis. Rawrrrrrr. Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

    Have gotten to Level 4 ("Mastery") on the planks and squats. Working level 3 (incline) push-ups. Graduated to level 2 overhead presses today. I'm working the negatives on the pull ups but I still have to use a Woody Band to avoid the dropping like a rock issue.

    Oh and I lost another half pound yesterday and another half today. That makes 1.5 lbs so far since the start of the August Challenge. Five days in so far.

    Did I mention that KETOSIS IS FUN????!!!!!!!!

  5. #705
    Jac's Avatar
    Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,374
    Hi Robin - I don't get here nearly as often lately, so I'm laaate in offering my congrats on your story! Well done - it wasn't only a story, but an analysis as well. I found it really useful as well as inspiring . Loving the food p0rn, too. I'm more of a 'slap it on the plate' person, but am earnestly seeking salvation. Probably should get some plates that aren't chipped, for a start .
    Started Feb 18 2011

    Journalling here

    "There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

  6. #706
    Sigi's Avatar
    Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I highly recommend this book for getting started with offal :Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

    But mostly I don't cook from recipes at all. I just sort of stir in a bit of this, a little of that, and a pinch of something else, stir, taste, adjust if needed.

    Best pate ever (great way to work liver into your world)

    2lbs liver sliced
    cook in 1 stick of butter
    season while cooking (I like garlic, Italian herbs, s&p)
    put the whole mess into the blender (or use hand blender) adding 1 cup heavy cream
    blend the living daylights out of it 'til really smooth

    put in tupperware cups and chill

    I sometimes add in other stuff like mushrooms, onions, capers, a splash of sherry while cooking, etc. but I have been finding that this recipe keeps getting better the more I simplify it.
    Jen McLagan's books *rock*. Who can't love a cookbook called "FAT"?

    BTW, how much is a "stick" of butter in the US? Because if you were to add an AU stick of butter, man that's a helluva lot of fat.

    Seriously, I've been meaning to try your pate for ages. I need to git sum livva inna me!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

    Oscar Wilde

  7. #707
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    First, please forgive my inability to "sift" again thru the whole thread. I know the answer is in there, I saw it, but ...... anyway, a quick post would be appreciated

    What ratios of protein/carbs/fat are you currently on and what total calories - I'm just investigating my options and your thread is one of the best articulated IMO.

    I am currently about 1200 cals, 40% protein and 30% each fats and carbs. I plan to increase lean protein and diminish carbs - just a bit (I found low carbs - for me - led to depression..... which is a baaaaaad place to be whether you're losing/gaining/staying the same. Weird, but it happened consistently so I plan to avoid that this time).

    I am in search of consistent healthy weight loss and prepped for some self-discipline Advice welcome.

    Thanks and sorry again for being a bit lazy.
    Last edited by denise; 08-06-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling mainly

  8. #708
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hi Robin - I don't get here nearly as often lately, so I'm laaate in offering my congrats on your story! Well done - it wasn't only a story, but an analysis as well. I found it really useful as well as inspiring . Loving the food p0rn, too. I'm more of a 'slap it on the plate' person, but am earnestly seeking salvation. Probably should get some plates that aren't chipped, for a start .
    Hi Jac. Thank you. Good to see you. I hope the new grandbabies are well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Jen McLagan's books *rock*. Who can't love a cookbook called "FAT"?

    BTW, how much is a "stick" of butter in the US? Because if you were to add an AU stick of butter, man that's a helluva lot of fat.

    Seriously, I've been meaning to try your pate for ages. I need to git sum livva inna me!
    A US "stick" of butter is usually 8 tbs. Do you every buy Kerrygold? It would be one of those bricks cut lenghthwise, about 115 grams. But the amount of butter in the recipe doesn't have to be exact. Err on the side of more butter when making pate.

    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    First, please forgive my inability to "sift" again thru the whole thread. I know the answer is in there, I saw it, but ...... anyway, a quick post would be appreciated

    What ratios of protein/carbs/fat are you currently on and what total calories - I'm just investigating my options and your thread is one of the best articulated IMO.

    I am currently about 1200 cals, 40% protein and 30% each fats and carbs. I plan to increase lean protein and diminish carbs - just a bit (I found low carbs - for me - led to depression..... which is a baaaaaad place to be whether you're losing/gaining/staying the same. Weird, but it happened consistently so I plan to avoid that this time).

    I am in search of consistent healthy weight loss and prepped for some self-discipline Advice welcome.
    Thanks and sorry again for being a bit lazy.
    Ketogenic ratios push the fat higher and the carbs lower. I figured my ratios out for 1200 calories and that would be 64%fat/6% carb/30%protein Which translates into 84.5g fat/90g pro/ 18g carb. The past few days I have not been making it down quite that low on the carb but still staying around 25-30.

    The main reason people feel crappy while in ketosis is because they are never really in it fully, always just bouncing along the edge in perpetual carb flu land. If you don't feel like it is right for you due to other issues then don't even go there but, if you are going there, gotta go for it.

    There is a Dr. Peter Attia who has a site called the Eating Academy which I find very useful.

    I wish you well.

  9. #709
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Right, thank you for the very prompt response!
    I think thats too low carb for me for the reasons I mentioned - shame, but you have to know yourself and abide by what's right for you, don't you
    I guess I will simply "play" with lowering carbs a bit, increasing fat a bit and keeping protein sort of where it is. Interesting anyway.

  10. #710
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    I had the same butter issue because butter here is usually sold in a 454g brick (so 1 pound of butter). A stick of butter is 1/4 pound (or 1/2 cup), so as PB said, about 115g.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •