Page 66 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 66

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    . And yes one of my fav dishes to order in any Indian restaurant is good palak paneer, made w/ good ghee.
    Saag/palak paneer is quite honestly one of my favorite things in the world. I love lamb curries and such, but when we go eat Indian food it is really, really hard to decide between the meat dishes and a dish of saag paneer.

I have made it myself, too. Both with paneer and (when I was vegan) with crispy tofu meant to emulate the paneer. The paneer version knocks the socks off the tofu version.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    ooh. New pic!
    Perhaps they locked the iodine thread as quite a few people referenced it in their defence of Darth?
    Right, back to lurking...
    What did the crazy iodine thread have to do with Darth?

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Paleobird, one of the best things in India is to stop at the side of the road when you find a little cart selling fresh young coconut. They cut a hole in it for a straw, and you drink the fresh coconut water from the inside, and then the man with the cart will chop it up for you to eat the meat. So wonderful.

I hope you get to go. I really am so in love with India. Even now, the sound of the ceiling fan in the bedroom on a hot evening will take me back to the beautiful haveli-style hotel in Jaipur where we spent Diwali, falling asleep to the crackle of the fireworks in the night. It is an overwhelming, sometimes heartbreaking place to travel, and at times it is horrifying, but it is also beautiful and welcoming like no other place I have ever been.
    Yes, I love coconut that way. I've had that in Africa and in the Caribbean. So refreshing.

Also, your new pic is gorgeous.
    Thank you.

Actually, isn't that "new" pic, an old pic? And of course, I likey too...
    You would recognize it wouldn't you? It was taken just a few days ago.

Anyhow, I am envious of Paleobird's trip to Africa. I will get there eventually, I hope. I need to either become independently wealthy or get international work.
    They are badly in need of English teachers over there. You only need a BA (in anything) and to be a native English speaker and you could find work. With a doctorate in Education I kept getting job offers on the spot.
    And I am envious of your India experiences. It sounds so exotic.

Returning to work is making living primal a bit more of a challenge. I'm up for joining you just to keep myself more conscious of my choices.
    Good. Conscious is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Saag/palak paneer is quite honestly one of my favorite things in the world. I love lamb curries and such, but when we go eat Indian food it is really, really hard to decide between the meat dishes and a dish of saag paneer.

I have made it myself, too. Both with paneer and (when I was vegan) with crispy tofu meant to emulate the paneer. The paneer version knocks the socks off the tofu version.
    I love Indian cooking (hold the tofu). That is one of the reasons I know I would have a great time there.

Paleobird Guest
    Dinner tonight was a use up the leftover goat stew. Not gorgeous but very tasty.

DSCN0209.jpg

And blueberry ice cream for dessert (just frozen berries and raw cream in the vitamix)

DSCN0211.jpg

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    What did the crazy iodine thread have to do with Darth?
    My point was that a number of people said something along the lines of why ban Darth and not Grizz... sorry for being cryptic.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Like the new avatar too.

Envious of some of the India experiences here. Have been to many places in India but for work and with little time for the real experience. Certainly a land of polarity.

Love all of the food - sambar, idli, uppuma, dhosa masala, chole (my favourite self cooked Indian dish), sweetwater fish in Bengal, meats in Delhi, ... It's endless
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

onalark is offline Senior Member
    My point was that a number of people said something along the lines of why ban Darth and not Grizz... sorry for being cryptic.
    Okay, soooo....

I've moderated a few forums. Sometimes -- and maybe this was one of those cases, maybe not -- there's stuff going on you don't see. A wildly popular forum personality could be writing some seriously ugly shit in private messages to people. You wouldn't know about it because it's private...but the mods would.

This is just a guess. Having been a mod on other communities, and having had to ban someone who, publicly, was extreme and funny and well-liked, I've had to deal with the aftermath of "But whyyyyyy? We liked him/her!" And out of respect for the privacy nature of the whole thing, all I could say was what the mods here said: "There may have been reasons you are not aware of that caused this person to be banned."

IMO, I'd have suspended Grizz for posting crazy stuff that could potentially threaten people's lives, not to mention the recent nastiness when people questioned his "research", NOT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT EVER AGAIN that thing he posted in that sex thread (pass the brain bleach, plz).

But I don't know what the guidelines for banning are on these forums. Let's be honest: compared to Darth, Grizz's insults are fairly mild, with no fetus smoothies involved.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I like your new avatar, too, Paleobird.

Are you going to India? The thing with India is that people either love it or they hate it. I really expected to love it but I ended up being someone who hated it. I look back on my trip with some fondness, but while I was there I found it quite exhausting (to be hounded constantly by people selling stuff and basically being a prisoner in our freezing air-conditioned taxi.) I thought Taj Majal was breathtaking, literally. Seeing it took my breath away. It was that gorgeous.

I guess my favorite Indian dishes are Paneer tikka masala and they have a dish made with okra that's really good. I don't like okra but I'm wild for the way they make it in India.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Are you going to India? The thing with India is that people either love it or they hate it. I really expected to love it but I ended up being someone who hated it. I look back on my trip with some fondness, but while I was there I found it quite exhausting (to be hounded constantly by people selling stuff and basically being a prisoner in our freezing air-conditioned taxi.) I thought Taj Majal was breathtaking, literally. Seeing it took my breath away. It was that gorgeous.
    There's 2 groups of travelers/tourists who opt to go to India for the 1st time, other than required for business. 1st group is those that fall in love with the place, as exasperating as it can be & often is... & the 2nd group, who exclaim this meaning for INDIA.
    INDIA = I'll Never Do It Again. And nobody can talk anyone out of their belief concerning India.

I've been traveling to 3rd world countries since the 80s, & so far, I can say without a doubt, that there's nothing quite like India. Though I've heard African nations are similar in the love/hate reaction thing too...Africa is on my bucket list, as is Israel & the Middle East...
    I guess my favorite Indian dishes are Paneer tikka masala and they have a dish made with okra that's really good. I don't like okra but I'm wild for the way they make it in India.
    Okra is commonly called "lady's fingers" in India, great name that more aptly describes them than "okra" but not sure what that means in translation. Maybe okra translates as "slimy goopy vegetable"(which I love & use in season, being as I'm a card carrying southerner)
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Paleobird Guest
    Oh. Well, Grizz was acting a bit loony with the screaming caps and colored highlights but I think he has voluntarily decamped to lead his flock on curezone where they don't have to deal with any pesky alternative opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Like the new avatar too.
    Envious of some of the India experiences here. Have been to many places in India but for work and with little time for the real experience. Certainly a land of polarity.
    Love all of the food - sambar, idli, uppuma, dhosa masala, chole (my favourite self cooked Indian dish), sweetwater fish in Bengal, meats in Delhi, ... It's endless
    Thank you. Yes, every time I read your posts you are talking about your latest curry, sounds wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I've moderated a few forums. Sometimes -- and maybe this was one of those cases, maybe not -- there's stuff going on you don't see. A wildly popular forum personality could be writing some seriously ugly shit in private messages to people. You wouldn't know about it because it's private...but the mods would.

This is just a guess. Having been a mod on other communities, and having had to ban someone who, publicly, was extreme and funny and well-liked, I've had to deal with the aftermath of "But whyyyyyy? We liked him/her!" And out of respect for the privacy nature of the whole thing, all I could say was what the mods here said: "There may have been reasons you are not aware of that caused this person to be banned."

IMO, I'd have suspended Grizz for posting crazy stuff that could potentially threaten people's lives, not to mention the recent nastiness when people questioned his "research", NOT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT EVER AGAIN that thing he posted in that sex thread (pass the brain bleach, plz).

But I don't know what the guidelines for banning are on these forums. Let's be honest: compared to Darth, Grizz's insults are fairly mild, with no fetus smoothies involved.
    Typical Grizz was somthing childish like calling me "Poopbird". Seriously? Typical Darth was something like "Go fuck yourself with razor wire."

One time a while back some nice lady who was new to the forum was posting a sincere question about a health problem her child was having. Darth came at her with, "You and your child are a useless waste of protoplasm and the only decent thing to do is to slit his throat and then blow your brains out. That way you won't produce any more disgusting spawn!", complete with all kinds of vulgar language and graphic bloody description of how she should kill her child. I'm sorry if I go against all the posthumous Darth worship going on around here but that is just not funny. That woman was in tears and I was left trying to explain to her that Darth is just that way and that she should ignore him and that he really doesn't represent the way this community acts. She never came back.

As much as I disliked Darth and am glad he's gone, I had nothing to do with that happening. And it really bugged me when Amberlee basically called me out the other day as being the one behind getting him banned.

Thank you. India is on my "to do" shortlist. When I get there depends a lot on my Dad's health these days.

There's 2 groups of travelers/tourists who opt to go to India for the 1st time, other than required for business. 1st group is those that fall in love with the place, as exasperating as it can be & often is... & the 2nd group, who exclaim this meaning for INDIA.
    INDIA = I'll Never Do It Again. And nobody can talk anyone out of their belief concerning India.

I've been traveling to 3rd world countries since the 80s, & so far, I can say without a doubt, that there's nothing quite like India. Though I've heard African nations are similar in the love/hate reaction thing too...Africa is on my bucket list, as is Israel & the Middle East...
    Okra is commonly called "lady's fingers" in India, great name that more aptly describes them than "okra" but not sure what that means in translation. Maybe okra translates as "slimy goopy vegetable"(which I love & use in season, being as I'm a card carrying southerner)
    I have been to several third world areas and I have loved some and hated others. I don't feel the need to go back to the south pacific island nation of Vanuatu where I spent two months ever again. Otoh, I fell in love with Africa and have already gone back for seconds.
    You can cook me okra anytime, sweetie. I'm sure it would be good if you cooked it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I wasn't aware of Darth's treatment of such innocent newbies. I can see why what happened happened with his eventual ban. Likely he was on a probation of sorts, & he then musta crossed 1 final line in the sand hence the ban. I'm only assuming.

Vanuatu IS on my bucket list, only coz the BEST kava I ever tried/used was from there, the powdered raw root. I'd ship a army bag full of the root to myself back in USA when I 1st landed, spend the rest of my time snorkling & spearfishing for my meals & lazing on the beach I guess. A guys gotta dream, right? As for cookin okra for ya', will it be available in San Diego end Sept/early Oct when I come by to, among other things, make the least slimy okra dish I can conjure up?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown