Page 65 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 65

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by avocadogirl View Post
    I'd join you for the challenge, in particular the exercise and other components. I feel like I get enough play and slow movement but hardly any lifting or sprinting. I count my walks with the dog/kids for sun exposure plus the pool time with them. Sleep I have little control over but I could be better about going to sleep earlier so I could get more despite all the night waking.
    Yep. I get my dog walkies but I haven't been good about getting the LHT's and sprints in. I get plenty of sunshine and the dog is always a good "playmate" up for a game of fetch or chasing down a squirrel in the park.

I hear ya about turning off the computer earlier and getting to sleep earlier. I don't have an early job in the morning so I still manage to get enough but I think I would have better quality sleep if it was earlier, more in tune with the circadian cycle.

OK, so the challenge starts tomorrow. Anybody else up for it?

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I'll join you. I'll probably do the PBF or both the Whole30 AND PBF...

Did you see that they locked the iodine thread?
    Last edited by KerryK; 07-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I'll join you. I'll probably do the PBF or both the Whole30 AND PBF...

Did you see that they locked the iodine thread?
    RIP Iodine Thread. It really is a shame they locked it because, since the messiah and his inner flock departed for the promised land of the curezone, it had actually become a very interesting, productive discussion.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    ooh. New pic!
    Perhaps they locked the iodine thread as quite a few people referenced it in their defence of Darth?
    Right, back to lurking...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    I travel w/ powdered green formulas + supplements in case I meet some nasty bacterias or amoebae, which I did wrestle with in my earlier trips. I think I've just made my peace with them in more recent years + I know the deal to stay healthy there now. Rice & dahl are fine filler, true, but I do love the curds, mutton, fish & other animals too.

Many people become vegetarians on their trips to India, the meat markets can be scary to see, flies & sanitation conditions in general being what they are. But I actually stopped being a vegetarian during my 1st trip there in 1996!

Gujarat is a modern state, but I'm told the remote villages are a rare slice of authentic India. Likely coz they're so poor...
    Oh man, paneer is soooooo good. I love palak paneer. Not much fish where I was in the north, though, although I did get some when we went down to Goa. I ate plenty of meat dishes, though. My doctor told me I was far better off eating meat than otherwise while I was there (she actually sort of snorted at the idea of going veg while travelling--love her). They tend to cook it pretty thoroughly anyhow.

Villages in Gujarat are definitely very old-style India. But I think a lot of rural villages are like that. The cities are modernizing in many ways, but as soon as we got away from that, you saw the women with matka balanced on their heads, the camels and goats, the huts and the dust. And, of course, the famously decorated lorries on any roadway.

Paleobird, one of the best things in India is to stop at the side of the road when you find a little cart selling fresh young coconut. They cut a hole in it for a straw, and you drink the fresh coconut water from the inside, and then the man with the cart will chop it up for you to eat the meat. So wonderful.

I hope you get to go. I really am so in love with India. Even now, the sound of the ceiling fan in the bedroom on a hot evening will take me back to the beautiful haveli-style hotel in Jaipur where we spent Diwali, falling asleep to the crackle of the fireworks in the night. It is an overwhelming, sometimes heartbreaking place to travel, and at times it is horrifying, but it is also beautiful and welcoming like no other place I have ever been.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Also, your new pic is gorgeous.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Also, your new pic is gorgeous.
    Actually, isn't that "new" pic, an old pic? And of course, I likey too...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, paneer is soooooo good. I love palak paneer. Not much fish where I was in the north, though, although I did get some when we went down to Goa. I ate plenty of meat dishes, though. My doctor told me I was far better off eating meat than otherwise while I was there (she actually sort of snorted at the idea of going veg while travelling--love her). They tend to cook it pretty thoroughly anyhow.
    We used to make our own paneer in our kitchen in Bangalore. It's SO easy. We located a neighborhood lady who had a cousin who lived outside town who owned a grass fed cow, it's rare in India now. it used to be, almost every family had one, that had a piece of land for it to graze on. And yes one of my fav dishes to order in any Indian restaurant is good palak paneer, made w/ good ghee. You have a great doctor.
    Villages in Gujarat are definitely very old-style India. But I think a lot of rural villages are like that. The cities are modernizing in many ways, but as soon as we got away from that, you saw the women with matka balanced on their heads, the camels and goats, the huts and the dust. And, of course, the famously decorated lorries on any roadway.
    Apparently, Gujarat's remote villages are pretty old school, supposedly more so than many other places. I also want to visit Nagaland & Assam, met such sweet Assamese families while traveling in India.
    Paleobird, one of the best things in India is to stop at the side of the road when you find a little cart selling fresh young coconut. They cut a hole in it for a straw, and you drink the fresh coconut water from the inside, and then the man with the cart will chop it up for you to eat the meat. So wonderful.
    Anything like tender young coconuts, low acid pineapples or melons, or any local in-season what odd fruit for sale, is so cool, literally. So tasty & dirt cheap. We used to buy the sweetest watermelons in the dusty hot byways, right on the roadside where they grew them, I think the melons were $0.20 each, ha.
    I hope you get to go. I really am so in love with India. Even now, the sound of the ceiling fan in the bedroom on a hot evening will take me back to the beautiful haveli-style hotel in Jaipur where we spent Diwali, falling asleep to the crackle of the fireworks in the night. It is an overwhelming, sometimes heartbreaking place to travel, and at times it is horrifying, but it is also beautiful and welcoming like no other place I have ever been.
    Holi & Diwali are my fav Indian holidays, Shiva Ratri is kinda fun too, parties... India is a place of immense beauty & incredible ugliness, awesome smells & putrid ones, immensely kind, funny & generous people & shysters, cruel dickwads & ripoffs too. It's a land of extreme polarities & spiralic wonder.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Holi & Diwali are my fav Indian holidays, Shiva Ratri is kinda fun too, parties... India is a place of immense beauty & incredible ugliness, awesome smells & putrid ones, immensely kind, funny & generous people & shysters, cruel dickwads & ripoffs too. It's a land of extreme polarities & spiralic wonder.
    Navratri in Gujarat was wonderful. I went to some really fun garba dances. The Gujarati girls had fun teaching this tall, somewhat awkward foreigner to dance. I am an amazon in Gujarat. They do a lot of mirrorwork there, and the traditional dresses worn for Navratri are so decorated that the women are like colourful human mirrorballs.

I smiled at your description of the smells--that's almost exactly the way I describe India to people. You will smell the most beautiful scents of your life and the most horrific stenches imaginable, often between one breath and the next.

Also, after a while, autorickshaws become fun instead of terrifying, except when you're driving through the streets on Diwali and there are fireworks going off in the road, in which case you spend the entire time being both dazzled and certain of your imminent demise.

Anyhow, I am envious of Paleobird's trip to Africa. I will get there eventually, I hope. I need to either become independently wealthy or get international work.

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep. I get my dog walkies but I haven't been good about getting the LHT's and sprints in. I get plenty of sunshine and the dog is always a good "playmate" up for a game of fetch or chasing down a squirrel in the park.

I hear ya about turning off the computer earlier and getting to sleep earlier. I don't have an early job in the morning so I still manage to get enough but I think I would have better quality sleep if it was earlier, more in tune with the circadian cycle.

OK, so the challenge starts tomorrow. Anybody else up for it?
    Returning to work is making living primal a bit more of a challenge. I'm up for joining you just to keep myself more conscious of my choices.

Owly's Journal