Page 64 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 64

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Yes, I was mostly in the north--Gujarat, for a lot of it, then travelling through Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, with a side trip up to Himachal Pradesh to spend a few days in McLeod Ganj (where the Tibetan government-in-exile and the Dalai Lama are), and a couple of days in Mumbai. I loved Gujarat. One of the NGOs I was studying with there would have me back to work in a heartbeat, but I would have to self-fund a lot of it since Indian NGOs can't afford to pay North American wages.

Paleobird, I have a dream in the next year or two to do some trekking in India and Nepal with a group of folks--I have a friend who knows a very good guide we could work with there and my brother does backcountry guide work, so we could organize a good team. I'll let you know if it comes together.
    The Dravidians are my peeps...

However, 6.5 yrs ago I spent my last month & a half in India in Rajastan, but before my son was estimated to be entering the world. Udaipur to be exact. Gujarat has been on my to-do-wish-list for many years. It's the "old India" not to be easily found these days... Just this afternoon, shopping @ a new (to me) awesome Indian supplystore/grocer, the South Indian lady storeowner said I must go there my next trip to Amma Bharat. And yes, I've witnessed South & North Indians having to talk in English, as it's their common language, not Hindi. India has around a 100 different dialects spoken there, but all study the Queens English in school...

As for trekking in the Himalayas, yak butter milk & butter tea, yak meat & I guess pack in our own root & green veggies. I suppose depending on the time of year, elevation & geography, we could forage for vegetation... Rice & dhal anyone w/ fresh made butter, ayurvedic salt & spices?
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Gujarat was incredibly complicated, which is part of why I loved it, I think. In some ways, it's one of the most progressive places in India, home to the National Institute of Design and the IIM, plus of course the birthplace of Gandhi, the origin of the salt march, and the site of one of the major vidyapiths. Many of the institutions there are Gandhian and some amazing orgs such as SEWA come from there. On the other hand, it's been the site of so much sectarian/communitarian violence, and the tension between the Hindu and Muslim communities is huge, especially with a fairly fundamentalist conservative Hindu government in power. It's a place of incredible struggles and incredible optimism, and it absolutely won my heart.

I'm hoping to get to the south as well--a good friend of mine has invited my partner and I to visit at his parents' house in Bangalore and then travel together, so we might all make a trip as a group sometime soon. I'd love to be able to combine that and the trekking into one trip to save on costs since it's so cheap to travel once you get to India but the airfares are killer from here. Hopefully I'll have work in my field soon so we can start to save up and take the time off to really enjoy our trip.

Travelling, I don't worry so much about strict primal, so rice and dhal are a go for me. I have to be careful with some Himalayan food since barley is common and that's not so good as a celiac, but generally it's not hard to avoid it (easier than here at home, actually). Vegetation--I'd take dried stuff where possible for weight, plus supplements. That might be one circumstance where a greens powder would be handy. Root veg I wouldn't bother with since you'll get carbs from rice and lentils anyhow.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I travel w/ powdered green formulas + supplements in case I meet some nasty bacterias or amoebae, which I did wrestle with in my earlier trips. I think I've just made my peace with them in more recent years + I know the deal to stay healthy there now. Rice & dahl are fine filler, true, but I do love the curds, mutton, fish & other animals too.

Many people become vegetarians on their trips to India, the meat markets can be scary to see, flies & sanitation conditions in general being what they are. But I actually stopped being a vegetarian during my 1st trip there in 1996!

Gujarat is a modern state, but I'm told the remote villages are a rare slice of authentic India. Likely coz they're so poor...

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0205.jpg
    DSCN0204.jpg

The discussion about India is much more interesting than my dinner could ever be, but just in case anyone cares what I ate.

That is a bison steak with a side of sweet potato fries (baked). The green glop is creamed kale that tastes a whole lot better than it looks. I made it with coconut cream.

It's funny how my body seems to go in phases with regard to certain foods. When I first started PB, I was eating coconut oil by the spoonful, coconut everything. Then I went though a phase where even the smell of coconut was enough to make me feel like gagging. Now I'm back to coo-koo for coconuts again. No idea why.

I really want to see India.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRutAng View Post
    each on a 2-week cruise
    ....huh?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    ....huh?
    I think a bot got ya, Brett.

I am such a sucker for those bots...

Paleobird Guest
    Well there was another huge, gorgeous salad for dinner tonight with salmon salad in the middle and shrimp around the edges but you are going to have to take my word for it because, when I took the picture, the memory card was still sticking out of the side of my computer where it wasn't doing much good.

Oh well.

My neighbors of the bountiful garden brought over yet more zucchini today plus a whole grocery bag full of basil. I made some garlic and sun dried tomato pesto with that basil that is good enough to just eat with a spoon. Nice neighbors.

Hmmmm. Maybe the pesto on the zucchini..............

Paleobird Guest
    I am joining in on the 30 day challenge for August. There are a couple of threads going about this. One is the Whole 9 thing which is great but I already eat that way anyway. Then there is one that is Mark's 30 day challenge that includes the PBF exercise plan, getting enough sun, sleep, play, etc. That's the one I think would do me some good. I have been lagging on the exercise front lately.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I am joining in on the 30 day challenge for August. There are a couple of threads going about this. One is the Whole 9 thing which is great but I already eat that way anyway. Then there is one that is Mark's 30 day challenge that includes the PBF exercise plan, getting enough sun, sleep, play, etc. That's the one I think would do me some good. I have been lagging on the exercise front lately.

I'd join you for the challenge, in particular the exercise and other components. I feel like I get enough play and slow movement but hardly any lifting or sprinting. I count my walks with the dog/kids for sun exposure plus the pool time with them. Sleep I have little control over but I could be better about going to sleep earlier so I could get more despite all the night waking.