Page 58 of 306 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 58

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, i think that's a good description.

i found that i felt relatively heavy on pork. bacon is about once a week or less (usually two pieces of shoulder bacon is good enough for me), but I do eat sausages. We are lucky in that we can get venison and ostrich sausages (completely free of grains, additives, and pork) -- so we have those about 1x week right now (pretty pricey, but it's nice to have as a quick meal for us). I even found a pork-free chorizo. And, there are wild boar options for us. I found a company that makes wild boar bacon, so we are looking into that as an alternative bacon source.

We are also looking at smoked fish instead of bacon as an alternative -- as there are several local companies that smoke several kinds of local fish. It's expensive, but I think the price is comparable to the bacon. Eating it about once a week, it should be really good.

I mean, how awesome would local, smoked fish be with eggs benedict? I think yummy.

Paleobird Guest
    OK, I want to know who went and rated my journal as only a one star. I bet it was kenn because I called him a petty little twerp earlier today. Up until now, with this relatively new journal thread, nobody has bothered to rate it one way or the other. But today, somebody went out of their way to say it was horrible(?) So don't read it if you don't like it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    "I could be eating steak."

Pork's another matter. Bacon and sausage I eat about once a week.

But yeah when I crave meat, it's usually red or seafood.
    I thought of the old, "Wow, I could have had a V8!" ads only , "Wow, I could have had a steak!"

I do like good sausage and I've been making my own when Sprouts has ground boar meat.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i found that i felt relatively heavy on pork. bacon is about once a week or less (usually two pieces of shoulder bacon is good enough for me), but I do eat sausages. We are lucky in that we can get venison and ostrich sausages (completely free of grains, additives, and pork) -- so we have those about 1x week right now (pretty pricey, but it's nice to have as a quick meal for us). I even found a pork-free chorizo. And, there are wild boar options for us. I found a company that makes wild boar bacon, so we are looking into that as an alternative bacon source.

We are also looking at smoked fish instead of bacon as an alternative -- as there are several local companies that smoke several kinds of local fish. It's expensive, but I think the price is comparable to the bacon. Eating it about once a week, it should be really good.

I mean, how awesome would local, smoked fish be with eggs benedict? I think yummy.
    Ostrich is awesome. I've never tried making sausage out of it but it makes great burgers. The eggs are wonderful too. So rich.
    My local sprouts carries ground meat from all kinds of interesting animals like bison, elk, antelope, deer, etc. so the red meat part of my diet doesn't just mean beef. I also eat a lot of lamb. Lamb liver is the best.

Smoked fish works great with eggs Benny. There is a New york deli here that serves this.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    OK, I want to know who went and rated my journal as only a one star. I bet it was kenn because I called him a petty little twerp earlier today. Up until now, with this relatively new journal thread, nobody has bothered to rate it one way or the other. But today, somebody went out of their way to say it was horrible(?) So don't read it if you don't like it.
    Well, I just rated it a "5" to counter the "1".

Some people should have their interwebs privileges taken away. For life.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Me too. I lurk here a lot these days, figured I should pay my dues.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, it's popular to do the "shark-bennie" which is what they call it on many menus here when they put the smoked fish in (usually salmon). but to get other fish like hoki and other local kinds smoked with manuka is a pretty sweet option. I suppose we should just start trying different brands and see what we like.

food!

yoga classes today were fun. we have new sequences to introduce. I'm psyched.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Amen.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Some people should have their interwebs privileges taken away. For life.
    Thank you Goldie. Some people shouldn't be allowed to sit at the grown-ups' table.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Lurkers are always welcome. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Amen.
    Hi Sigi. Well, It's up to a four star now. Thanks everybody.

Or maybe it was Grizz who gave the bad rating. Oh, goodness. It must be contagious. I have been hanging around the iodine thread too much and now I'm starting to get paranoid. Yikes! *runs to polish tinfoil hat*

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Lurkers are always welcome. Thank you. ...hanging around the iodine thread too much and now I'm starting to get paranoid. Yikes! *runs to polish tinfoil hat*
    It's not often the ladies announce "'Lurkers are always welcome."

So I'll just keep on lurking...
    (Strange word, sounds like a winter Olympic event: downhill lurking)

Found a local bacon from a family farm, w/ the highest sustainability rating of 5 compared to Applewood's 1. Ate some of this yummy bacon w/ our mix seafood dinner last night.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown