Page 52 of 306 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 52

  1. #511
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,090
    Primal Fuel
    those look yummy.

    i was surprised, but gurnard is sweet. it really has a sweet flavor, and a good texture to it too. it's nice to have 3 kinds of local fish that we like.

    i'm looking for a red chowder recipe. I haven't been looking hard yet, but I started looking. I have to keep it simple; ryan usually cooks, so it has to be easy for him.

    I am lucky that work and fun go hand in hand. I just get excited about this stuff. Also, I'm so psyched that I have a business mentor. She created one of NZ's largest franchises (a pet grooming franchise). She's writing a book for small business owners, wanted to use our branding as an example/case study, and then offered me a year-long program that she runs for free. *yay*

  2. #512
    JudyCr's Avatar
    JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,132
    Showing up just to see your pics would be enough,
    but reading ya is such a pleasure too.

    (My mom beat breast cancer at age 46,
    she's 86 now and doing great, walks 2 miles daily,
    maintains her house beautifully, cooks and eats very healthy.
    Probably the most optimistic person on earth and that helps a lot, right?)

  3. #513
    Sigi's Avatar
    Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Some people get the idea that Primal is all about the big hunks of bloody red meat all the time. I feel like I am descended from coastal Groks that thrived on seafood and shellfish too. Sure, meat is good but it's not the only protein around.
    Indeed. I wish I could have fish much more often - I love it. But it's so ridiculously expensive here (at least the good kind) - I can get a decent grassfed steak for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of my favourite fish. And I have been known to ruin some very expensive fish through dodgy cooking (lack of kitchen smarts + lack of fishy experience).
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

    Oscar Wilde

  4. #514
    en2ec's Avatar
    en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    189
    I just read your success story that Mark posted the other day. It was so inspirational! Thank you for sharing it with the community. And thank you for stopping by my journal and giving encouragement and words of wisdom.

  5. #515
    onalark's Avatar
    onalark is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by appleeatdaily View Post
    Really, I knew better, but I was starting to wonder if adding some carbs would help to jump weight loss. They did not. Not because teh carbs are eville and making me fat, but because when I eat them, I don't feel satiated. I want to eat more. And I do. Same problem I have with most conventional diets.
    I think this is the problem with most of the "eat moar carbs" advice on the forums. The vocal majority of this advice is coming from people who are not metabolically damaged, and who may not know what it's like. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but they're not the vocal majority.

    I'm like you. Carbs flat out do not fill me up right now. I wish they did. I'd love to feel full from a plate of potatoes and rice. It just doesn't happen, though, and every time I've added those things back to my diet, I end up overeating.

  6. #516
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Showing up just to see your pics would be enough, but reading ya is such a pleasure too.

    (My mom beat breast cancer at age 46, she's 86 now and doing great, walks 2 miles daily, maintains her house beautifully, cooks and eats very healthy. Probably the most optimistic person on earth and that helps a lot, right?)
    Thank you and give your Mom a big hug for me. Tell her that I find her inspirational.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Indeed. I wish I could have fish much more often - I love it. But it's so ridiculously expensive here (at least the good kind) - I can get a decent grassfed steak for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of my favourite fish. And I have been known to ruin some very expensive fish through dodgy cooking (lack of kitchen smarts + lack of fishy experience).
    Really? It's the opposite here. The grassfed meat is expensive and fish is relatively cheap. The main thing with fish is just don't overcook it. Don't put the fire under the pan until you have everybody rounded up and at the table.

    Quote Originally Posted by en2ec View Post
    I just read your success story that Mark posted the other day. It was so inspirational! Thank you for sharing it with the community. And thank you for stopping by my journal and giving encouragement and words of wisdom.
    You're welcome. I think you are off to a great start. If I can help, let me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I think this is the problem with most of the "eat moar carbs" advice on the forums. The vocal majority of this advice is coming from people who are not metabolically damaged, and who may not know what it's like. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but they're not the vocal majority.

    I'm like you. Carbs flat out do not fill me up right now. I wish they did. I'd love to feel full from a plate of potatoes and rice. It just doesn't happen, though, and every time I've added those things back to my diet, I end up overeating.
    I call the MDA carb pushers "Chaco and the Spud Studs". Kinda sounds like a band name, right?
    What I really don't like is all the alarmist and just flat out wrong info swirling around the blogosphere about ketosis and low carb diets doing all kinds of damage to your body. Your hair is going to fall out and your penis fall off, etc. It's just not true.

  7. #517
    fatfran's Avatar
    fatfran is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    28
    See!! I knew you were awesome paleobird! Everyone else sees it too. Congrats to you again, you are definitely an inspiration! As usual, nice dishes at the birdnest!

  8. #518
    onalark's Avatar
    onalark is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I call the MDA carb pushers "Chaco and the Spud Studs". Kinda sounds like a band name, right?
    What I really don't like is all the alarmist and just flat out wrong info swirling around the blogosphere about ketosis and low carb diets doing all kinds of damage to your body. Your hair is going to fall out and your penis fall off, etc. It's just not true.
    Yeaaaaah...I don't know what I think of that. I think if your hair is falling out you probably maybe need to consider adding something back to your diet. Then again, I think (please no one hate me) that "candida overgrowth", "adrenal fatigue", and "magical iodine" are all woo woo, so I may not be the most sympathetic voice when it comes to all this.

    Just reading that Ray Peat thread makes my head hurt. I have tried to read that dude's stuff and it's all blah blah blah eyes glaze over nevermind. Same alarm bells Jack Kruse set off. Maybe that makes me dumb and a sheeple, but I shouldn't need a decoder ring to figure out your nutritional recommendations. If it were really that hard, I don't think our race would have survived to this point.

  9. #519
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfran View Post
    See!! I knew you were awesome paleobird! Everyone else sees it too. Congrats to you again, you are definitely an inspiration! As usual, nice dishes at the birdnest!
    Thanks, Fran.

    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Yeaaaaah...I don't know what I think of that. I think if your hair is falling out you probably maybe need to consider adding something back to your diet. Then again, I think (please no one hate me) that "candida overgrowth", "adrenal fatigue", and "magical iodine" are all woo woo, so I may not be the most sympathetic voice when it comes to all this.

    Just reading that Ray Peat thread makes my head hurt. I have tried to read that dude's stuff and it's all blah blah blah eyes glaze over nevermind. Same alarm bells Jack Kruse set off. Maybe that makes me dumb and a sheeple, but I shouldn't need a decoder ring to figure out your nutritional recommendations. If it were really that hard, I don't think our race would have survived to this point.
    There are a lot of things that could cause your hair to fall out such as mineral deficiencies. Some people get these when they start restricting their diet in un-natural or extreme ways. So their hair falls out but they won't get a check up because all doctors are evil CW spewing idiots in league with Big Pharma to keep us all sick, so they just blame the falling hair on the low carb. They start eating sensibly again, hairs stop falling and it is confirmed in their minds.

    "Candida overgrowth" does exist but it is much more rare than the webz would have you believe. When it does happen, it is usually the after effect of a prolonged dosing with industrial strength antibiotics. "Adrenal fatigue" seems to be one of those catch all, non specific terms like "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". OK, now we have put an official label on it but it is just describing what is wrong, not saying why. The iodine thread is good for some entertainment value from time to time just to hear the latest conspiracy theory running around Grizz's demented brain.

    Ray Peat is just flat out irresponsible and should have his medical license revoked. Giving refined sugar to diabetic people?!?!?

    Jack Kruse is increasingly being seen for the clown that he is. He went Primal and lost a bunch of weight. Terrific. Then he goes and adds all these complications onto it just to make his own separate "brand name". He strikes me as the epitome of, "If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit".

  10. #520
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Really? It's the opposite here. The grassfed meat is expensive and fish is relatively cheap. The main thing with fish is just don't overcook it. Don't put the fire under the pan until you have everybody rounded up and at the table.

    I call the MDA carb pushers "Chaco and the Spud Studs". Kinda sounds like a band name, right?
    What I really don't like is all the alarmist and just flat out wrong info swirling around the blogosphere about ketosis and low carb diets doing all kinds of damage to your body. Your hair is going to fall out and your penis fall off, etc. It's just not true.
    Hell, the meat & fish are both expensive here, but wotcha gonna do? On a 14 day ketosis last summer, I grew back some my hair & my penis grew 2 inches. Both were, unfortunately, temporary gains. Oh well...
    But seriously, I like to do a week of fasting + dietary ketosis about twice a year, just to mix things up metabolically & get a bit leaner (since I don't calorie count or watch my (big) portions). Maybe it's sort of like reenacting a week or so of unsuccessful hunting ...

    Mmmm, boar meatballs in gravy. Am sharpening my spear....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •