Page 44 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 44

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    More like firm quiche.

Original (non-Primal) zucchini slice recipe
    (Some clever-clogs around here can no doubt advise on how to make this more Primal-friendly by converting the SR flour element into coconut flour + bicarb or some such tricky thing, though I make no guarantees as to how the texture might be affected. Don't imagine it will taste too interesting without cheese though, for non-dairy peeps.)

 Sift 1 cup SR flour
     Mix in 5 eggs
     Add up to cup of preferred oil (such as EVOO)
     Add several chopped rashers of bacon (at least 3 to 4)
     Add about finely diced onion (I like red, or you could used shredded spring onions)
     Add up to a cup of grated cheddar or some sort of stronger, bitey cheese
     If you like to season things up, this is where you might throw in some pepper, herbs, etc – you'll definitely need salt if you're cutting down on the cheese element
     Add up to 450 g zucchini which has been grated and then squeezed of excess water (you could include some other grated/squeezed vegies such as carrot, but just make the total veg element around 450 g)

Mix it all up and put in a well-greased or paper-lined pan, and bake at 180 C for about 40-50 minutes or until golden-brown on top and set in the middle when tested with a skewer.

Serve hot, but cold leftovers are good too.
    "Clever-clogs". Cute. Is that anything like Gay Panda'a "snazzy clogs"?
    The thing about coconut flour is that it is very "thirsty". You need to ad some more moisture to the mix. Either a few more eggs or perhaps some coconuit milk would work. Sounds yummy.
    Is a "rasher" of bacon the same thing as a slice of bacon or some other measurement? Talk about two peoples divided by a common language.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Freckleface View Post
    Paleobird, I haven't been to a Farmers Market in years. Which are the good ones in town?
    Hi There. Well, that would depend on where you live.

These are the officially authorized ones: Farmers Markets in San Diego - Find locally grown produce: San Diego County Farm Bureau

I like the Hillcrest and Little Italy ones best because they are near my house. Little Italy also has good musical entertainment going and they have a booth that sells freshly shucked oysters. I also go to the Golden Hill one because that is where I the pick up location is for my grass fed meat CSA. It's a smaller market but it gets some interesting vendors like this guy who makes the best home brewed kombucha and this old Morrocan guy who sells great spices, organic lamb sausages, feta cheeses, etc.

Freckleface is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much for the information. I live in Rancho Bernardo, but I go to Little Italy quite frequently. I love it down there.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Clever-clogs". Cute. Is that anything like Gay Panda'a "snazzy clogs"?
    The thing about coconut flour is that it is very "thirsty". You need to ad some more moisture to the mix. Either a few more eggs or perhaps some coconuit milk would work. Sounds yummy.
    Is a "rasher" of bacon the same thing as a slice of bacon or some other measurement? Talk about two peoples divided by a common language.
    Hmm. "Clever-clogs" is something equivalent to "smarty-pants", but with a leaning more toward genuinely "smart" rather than "smart-ass" (or "smart-arse" if you're from my country). If you don't use the term "smarty-pants" ... well then I'm not sure what your linguistic equivalent might be!

And yes, a rasher is simply a slice of bacon. I didn't realise you guys don't have rashers!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    You can slice courgettes thickly and use them as the 'lasagna' layer in lasagna.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Hmm. "Clever-clogs" is something equivalent to "smarty-pants", but with a leaning more toward genuinely "smart" rather than "smart-ass" (or "smart-arse" if you're from my country). If you don't use the term "smarty-pants" ... well then I'm not sure what your linguistic equivalent might be!

And yes, a rasher is simply a slice of bacon. I didn't realise you guys don't have rashers!
    The term "smarty pants" is used here but it's kind of 50's vintage.

To us "rashers" sound like something that gives you a rash.

And I had to look up Magic's reference to courgettes to be sure what that was. I speak enough French to know that it means "little gourds" so I figured we were talking about the same thing. Not a bad idea about using it in lasagna. I've done that with eggplant before but I can see zucchini lasagna working too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Freckleface View Post
    Thanks so much for the information. I live in Rancho Bernardo, but I go to Little Italy quite frequently. I love it down there.
    You can make a whole day of the Little Italy farmers market. There is a British pub called the Princess on India street that has a "wink and a nod" arrangement with the guys who run the oyster shucking booth. They allow people to bring their oysters in and sit down as long as you order a drink. So I usually do the whole market first and finish up there with oysters and some pinot grigio sitting in the sidewalk tables and listening to whatever musical act is playing that Saturday.

I live in Mission Hills which is not too far to walk to the Little Italy market. I bring my old lady wheeled shopping basket along sometimes. Parking can be a real bear there on Saturdays.

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0162.jpg

Tonight the Birdnest Cafe went Japanese with sushi and seaweed salad on top of a bed of greens. This was just for my Dad. I ate too much this afternoon at a friend's birthday party and didn't feel like eating dinner. It was a kick ass party including a live band and cocktails in the garden of this big beautiful house my friends have just refurbished.
    I walked to the party getting my sunshine and exercise on the way there and back in a miniskirt and halter top then sat outside at the party sipping iced tea and soaked up some more vitamin D. I love summer time.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    OMG!! Your presentations of meals are works of art, definitely.

Now I'm hungry.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you, honeybuns. We aim to please here at the Birdnest virtual cafe.

DSCN0163.jpg

Tonight was just a back to basics dinner, green beans, onions,mushrooms sauteed with kerrygold herb butter and a splash of sherry (I have this bottle that is about ten years old that I'm trying to use up). And a sashimi grade salmon filet cooked in a ginger and tamari rub.

Not flashy but tasty.