Page 42 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 42

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Depends upon the variety. There are orange ones like the sweet potatoes in the US, but they are sweeter. The red ones are red on the outside, white on the inside, and taste a little sweet and are kind of stringy on the inside (not enough to be 'pasta' but just has that mouth feel). The purple ones are purple on the outside and white with purple stripes on the inside. These are middle of the road sweet -- between red and orange. There are yellow ones too -- or golden ones -- which taste about the same as the purple ones. And then there are ones that are different sizes -- and sometimes different colors. A dark dark purple one that looks black or navy, that is white with black/purple/navy stripes inside.

Yeah, so they are cool. Lots of varieties. And we can get several varieties of pumpkin, squashes, and I think abuot 7 or 8 different kinds of "white" potatoes -- waxy ones, starchy ones, red bliss, little purple colored ones, ones that are more yellow, etc. Oddly, I can only find about 2-3 varieties of onion though (red, white, yellow), and I would love more onion varieties.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    The red ones are red on the outside, white on the inside, and taste a little sweet and are kind of stringy on the inside (not enough to be 'pasta' but just has that mouth feel).
    These sound a bit like some of the ones I get at the local Asian markets. Sometimes sold as "Korean sweet potatoes". I love 'em! They're a little more starchy and denser than typical American sweet potatoes. The old standby ones we get here -- by which I mean "the orange ones" -- are kind of watery and flat-tasting in comparison. They do make good oven fries, tho.

Kumara! That's a new one for me. Learn something new every day!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We just cut open some dark purple/navy colored "maori potatoes" (kumara) and they were the same color inside as outside! *awesome!*

The orange ones here are super sweet and super soft and starchy and lovely when baked and then a bit of butter and salt. they don't need any other seasoning, they are so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We just cut open some dark purple/navy colored "maori potatoes" (kumara) and they were the same color inside as outside! *awesome!*

The orange ones here are super sweet and super soft and starchy and lovely when baked and then a bit of butter and salt. they don't need any other seasoning, they are so sweet!
    Every Saturday I make buckwheat pancakes for Mr. Onalark and me. Except when I'm doing a Whole30; then I make him pancakes, and me a sweet potato. Throw some ghee and coconut manna on that thing, and I'm all, pancakes, what pancakes?

We get Okinawa sweets here. I luuuuurv them.

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds like my friendly neighborhood Asian markets are the place to go. They have all kinds of interesting things in the produce department.

I've tried those long brown ones that are white on the inside that they sometimes label "yams". They are good once they are cooked but they are kind of slimy and weird feeling while getting the peeling off.

Any kind of potatoes are something I reserve for a once in a while treat or for dinners including non-Primal company. I like showing them a steak, salad, and sweet potato dinner and hearing them say, "I thought you were on some weird, super restrictive diet..."

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Any kind of potatoes are something I reserve for a once in a while treat or for dinners including non-Primal company. I like showing them a steak, salad, and sweet potato dinner and hearing them say, "I thought you were on some weird, super restrictive diet..."
    YESSSSSS. I admit to using the same evil ploy. Assuming they're not vegetarian, anytime I have a friend over for dinner, this is the exact gameplan I pull. I remember one of my friends looking up at me halfway through her meal, her eyes shining, and she was like, "This is soooo gooood."

And I leaned over and said, "This is how we eat."

Paleobird Guest
    I have been cooking all day. This morning I made liver pate. Yumm. Then I made these muffins. Almost worthy of Dr. Bork Bork. They are coconut flour, cocoa powder, lotsa eggs, and a bunch of grated zucchini. (plus spices and some coconut oil)
    DSCN0157.jpg

My neighborhood garden is flooded with zucchini atm. Any good ideas for how to use some of it up beyond just the saute in a pan with other veggies option?

The slow cooker was going all day and finally rendered up this creation. Mystery Meat Stew. I had a bit of skirt steak, three oxtail bones, and a very small beef tongue. None of these were enough for a whole meal for two on their own so I tossed them all in together. Can't hurt. They're all beef. I skinned the tongue and chopped it up plus fot the meat off the oxtail bones and chopped up the skirt steak after cooking about 4 hours. They I piled all the meat back into the cooker and added the veggies for another 3 hours. Twas really yummy.

DSCN0158.jpg

Paleobird Guest
    Note to self: Stay away from the nutrition forum. You just end up arguing with idiots about irrelevant stuff.

This Ray Peat person is really bugging me though. One of his disciples, Danny Roddy, was advocating large amounts of orange juice and table sugar as healthy.

Head, meet Desk.

delyth is offline Junior Member
    I have one zucchini plant in my garden. But it is a very enthusiastic zucchini plant, so I've had to get a bit creative too. The last time I was stuck staring at a pile of zucchini on the counter, I turned the whole batch into a curried soup. No measurements, but the general idea was:

Saute a chopped onion with fresh garlic and ginger in butter.
    Throw in some brown mustard seeds and cover while they pop around.
    Stir in a bunch of curry-type seasonings -- I think I used ground cumin, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, a bit of clove.
    After a minute or so throw in all the zucchini I had on my counter, roughly sliced.
    Add chicken broth to barely cover, and simmer until tender.
    Puree with hand-held blender, and stir in 1 can of coconut milk.
    Adjust seasoning -- and this is important. My soup was pretty bland, even with all the seasonings. It definitely needed salt, a generous helping of black pepper, and some sort of citrus element to brighten things up. I used ground lemon that I buy at a local Middle Eastern grocery -- which I love because it tends to add a bright lemon flavor without an acid background. But lemon juice would work just fine, I am sure.

After seasoning, it was quite lovely

*long-time lurker, but recipe sharing tends to lure me out into the open*

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Ground lemon sounds wonderful. Between this journal and sbhikes' threads I am looking in my vicinity for any and all ethnic stores!