Page 41 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 41

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    We get all our information about your part of the world from Crocodile Dundee movies.
    Oh dear Lord. <cringe!>

That man has a lot to answer for.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0153.jpg

Tonight the Birdnest Restaurant has a bit of everything. That is a lamb shoulder chop. I am really loving this garlic infused avocado oil for cooking. It was great on the lamb. I was told by the guy at the farmer's market who was selling me the stuff that it has a very high smoke point and this seems to be the case. Then on the side we have a mix of brussels sprouts and carrots with a side "salad" of sliced tomato and avocado because both needed to be eaten or tossed soon.

No berries tonight because I had mine for breakfast with some yoghurt.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Oh dear Lord. <cringe!>

That man has a lot to answer for.
    But, he was so cuuuuute.

Paleobird Guest
    I can't see stressing over the quality of your soy/tamari sauce if it is only something you use once in a while but I use it quite a bit. I guess it varies by brand also. Magic said the tamari was more watery but mine tastes more intense. I adore my Asian supermarket. They have a whole side of one aisle dedicated to just soy sauces. There must be gluten intolerant Asian people too because the wheat free ones are becoming more prevalent. Also many are labeled "no MSG" as that is an allergen that is becoming more widely recognized.

cmlloyd Guest
    I really wish i had a diverse selection near me to choose from different dressings and fixins. I live in the half and half area of VA that is about 20 minutes away from any actual store and most of those places are just "stores" they aren't as contemporary as those stores that are about 45 minutes away. lol

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlloyd View Post
    I really wish i had a diverse selection near me to choose from different dressings and fixins. I live in the half and half area of VA that is about 20 minutes away from any actual store and most of those places are just "stores" they aren't as contemporary as those stores that are about 45 minutes away. lol
    Well, we get the tradeoff here of having all kinds of wonderful ethnic variety but we end up being a long way from where many things are grown. I grow some myself and trade with neighbors, that helps.

But, within a pretty easy walking distance of my house I have a Vons, Albertson's, Whole Foods, Ralph's, Trader Joe's, and a Sprouts. All of them seem to have gotten the word that organic is a big selling point. They all carry things like cage free eggs, wild caught seafood, dairy products with no hormones or antibiotics, organic produce, etc. And some even carry grass fed meat and raw dairy.

So yeah, I kind of "don't get it" when some people say that staying Primal is such a big logistical effort. I just take my Wolf Cub hunting dog with me and walk to the store. Armed with a sharpened debit card at the end of my spear I slay a grass fed beast and gather some organic veggies and bring them back to my cave. Yep, I'm spoiled.

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0154.jpg
    Again, the Birdnest Cafe goes seafoody. That is a swordfish steak on a bed of kale, spinach, shrooms, onions, shredded carrots, purple cabbage, and tomatoes. And I'm nibbling on the last of the kumquats for dessert.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-04-2012 at 08:35 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    looks nice. it's our 'fish and chips' night. we're doing kumara tonight, for sure.

I'm planning our holiday menu. Breakfasts are easy: eggs, sausage/bacon, veggies, berries/yogurt (for DS). Lunches -- bell pepper sandwiches with some deli slices (probably turkey if we can find it. that's a treat) and we're going to put some cheese in it too. basically make BIG sandwiches. Dinners -- this is a toughy.

I need three meals -- so I was thinking perhaps a chicken green curry stir fry for one night; sausages with a warm cavolo nero salad; and mexican spiced steak with fennel-etc salad.

Friday night we'll probably go out for mexican food. Yummy.

Paleobird Guest
    I must admit that I like to shop in what I call the "lazy vegetables" section of the market and since there are now even organic lazy veggies I'm happy. By lazy I mean things like mushrooms that are all washed and sliced, salad greens pre washed and boxed, pre shredded carrots, pico de gallo salsa instead of chopping up onions and tomatoes. It makes throwing together impressive looking salads and stuff really very easy. It's like having your own private prep cook and then you just get to do the fun part of cooking like the seasonings.

Yeah, it costs a little more but, for me, it makes me much more likely to actually eat all my veggies instead of having them go bad in the fridge so that kind of evens out. And, when you are only cooking for one or two, you get more variety say in a mixed lettuce box. If you had to buy one head or bunch or every different kind of greens in there you would never be able to use it before it wilted.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    looks nice. it's our 'fish and chips' night. we're doing kumara tonight, for sure.

I'm planning our holiday menu. Breakfasts are easy: eggs, sausage/bacon, veggies, berries/yogurt (for DS). Lunches -- bell pepper sandwiches with some deli slices (probably turkey if we can find it. that's a treat) and we're going to put some cheese in it too. basically make BIG sandwiches. Dinners -- this is a toughy.

I need three meals -- so I was thinking perhaps a chicken green curry stir fry for one night; sausages with a warm cavolo nero salad; and mexican spiced steak with fennel-etc salad.

Friday night we'll probably go out for mexican food. Yummy.
    That all sound delicious.
    I know kumara look different from what we call sweet potatoes here. Do they taste any different?