Page 40 of 306 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 40

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Also, business going well. I have an apprentice. A teen-ager interested in learning yoga and business and wanting to teach and stuff. It's seriously a sweet deal. She's trading cleaning/child care for the yoga training.
    Ryan is mentoring her brother in writing. He's a comedian/actor -- Ryan's doing some dad-like mentoring (encouraging him to go for his dreams, rather than ageography degree like his mom wants), and then also connecting him to the comedy community that he's connected to, so that he can get a working stand-up as a mentor.

We love helping out teenagers.
    I think that's great that you can be mentors to the next generation. Getting some housekeeper/babysitter work out of it is even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    It is FRIGGIN. FREEZING. down here. Worst winter we've had in years. Cold and windy and drizzly every damn day. I used to like winter - not this year.
    On a brighter note, our water storages are fuller than they've been in 15 years, so it's a welcome change from endless drought conditions.
    Oy, quit yer whingin, mate. (See, I speak Aussi!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlloyd View Post
    Okay PB I skimmed through most of your journal and I enjoy the fact that you are inclined to spread the word and understanding of how Primal can benefit people.
    And you said something in one of your posts that kind of jolted me...what is peoples fascination with bread? I think the jury is still out on that one lol
    Yep, I spread the word when it is asked for. I don't push when people are being stubborn. But I'm there with the info when they do come around, and they do, eventually.

I still don't understand about the bread other than freshly baked sourdough.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, thing is, I love "kids." That is, the generation that is currently between 15 and 25 are pretty freaking amazing, no matter how much crap they get in the media. What I see are really bright kids who are following a definite "gen X" styled path, but without the malaise/drop-out sort of nature.

They notice that the normal pathway of uni- office job - house/car/cat/kids is not really working out due to the recession and stuff. What they see is that the people succeeding are those who are passionate about what they do, often starting businesses or working in cooperatives/collectives to get the job done. They are seeking "on the job" sorts of training, and using educational degrees as adjunct to that (or seeking degrees right away if they are passionate, but going for mentoring in adjunct to that too).

And they are good. I mean, just *really good* people. Sure, there are annoying "bad apples" in the bunch, and I've run into them. But most of them are so ridiculously awesome, it's just inspiring to me.

To be able to help someone out at this age, to give them a hand in learning some real life skills, that's really cool. I just enjoy the heck out of it.

It's july, and the studio picked back up again. June is a tough month in Welly. Coldest of the year, and it's when the colds/flus rip through the offices. There's also queens birthday holiday at the beginning, so a lot of people head north (or to the Gold Coast or islands) for a bit. So this puts a slump in our business to the tune of about a 20 spots per week lost. It's a bummer!

But, this week sees us already seeing about 10-15 of those people back (sickness/holidays done), and then we also are seeing another push of newbies finding us for the first time!

Our marketing is *really* working, and I'm psyched about that.

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0151.jpg

Oh, ho hum. Just another average night at the Birdnest Seafood Cafe. The salmon was cooked with a liberal dollop of crushed ginger rubbed into it and the greens were livened up with a new avocado oil I bought that has garlic infused into it. SOme of that garlic oil went into cooking the fish too with just a small dash of tamari.

Glad to hear that business-wise things are looking good, Zoe. And I agree with you that there are a lot of really great young people out there. Passing on our life experiences and accumulated wisdom through mentoring is a great thing. A rather Primal way of learning.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We've just discovered organic Tamari sauce in our supermarket. It's nuts that Soy Sauce contains wheat, and even more nuts that Tamari basically *is* soy sauce without the junk.

In unrelated news, hungry now...
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    We've just discovered organic Tamari sauce in our supermarket. It's nuts that Soy Sauce contains wheat, and even more nuts that Tamari basically *is* soy sauce without the junk.
    I recall the horrified looks on my coworkers faces when I told them soy sauce had wheat in it. "Wait...what? WHY?" A perfect illustration of why I read labels. :P

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oy, quit yer whingin, mate. (See, I speak Aussi!)
    LOL.

Actually, I don't think I've ever referred to someone as "mate" (except possibly *very* ironically, say when pissed off with a complete stranger who has offended me in some dire way).

<Pssst!> For a more genuine Strine effect, make sure you spell those words as "Oi" and "Aussie".
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    LOL.

Actually, I don't think I've ever referred to someone as "mate" (except possibly *very* ironically, say when pissed off with a complete stranger who has offended me in some dire way).

<Pssst!> For a more genuine Strine effect, make sure you spell those words as "Oi" and "Aussie".
    Best I could do. We get all our information about your part of the world from Crocodile Dundee movies.

Paleobird Guest
    Some tamari even has wheat in it. You have to look for the wheat free kind. Tamari just seems to have a more intense flavor so I use less of it which is probably good from the point of view of not overdosing on salt.

You really have to read every label every time. Even when you think you know a brand they will go and switch the ingredients before you buy the next bottle. Sneaky bastards.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Best I could do. We get all our information about your part of the world from Crocodile Dundee movies.
    Heh. At least you were *phonetically* australian, right?

Some tamari even has wheat in it. You have to look for the wheat free kind. Tamari just seems to have a more intense flavor so I use less of it which is probably good from the point of view of not overdosing on salt.

You really have to read every label every time. Even when you think you know a brand they will go and switch the ingredients before you buy the next bottle. Sneaky bastards.
    Well, we were buying high quality dark soy sauce, and the tamari we have switched to seems much 'thinner' and more watery. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i just don't buy either. DS gets whatever comes in the fish squeezy when he gets his sushi. I assume it has MSG and wheat. LOL

It's one of many ways in which I am a bad mother, which also includes being terrible at lego and always, always saying and thinking the wrong things (this is what DS tells me when I say something oppositional to whatever it is he wants to do).

We are slowly, slowly moving into more flavorsome fare as DH learns more skills. We watch a lot of master chef, and so he's learning a fair bit. Between those spice rubs/sauces/etc and the quiches, we're actually quite well fed these days. I'd love to diversify a bit more, but one thing at a time, right? Besides, DH is doing the cooking, so I can't complain!

Yoga classes are well up again. June is a weird little slump of a month between it being the first of winter, queens birthday holiday, and people getting sick/holidaying to avoid winter. we were only down a few per week (maybe 10-20 places), and now we are back up plus about 5-7 more on top. In this first week of July no less. Insanity.

Had DS's kindy meeting today. It was great. They really like him and things that would be "big negatives" at regular schools (his busy body, quick mind, and his enthusiasm) are big positives here, and they are excited to have him as the "eldest" of the class for next term.

We just have to decide whether or not he'll go from caterpillars to butterflies in term 4, or stay in caterpillars and then either A. go to belmont (the other kindy/steiner school) in the next year or B. stay at this kindy for the year (when he is 4.5-5.5) and then move to the steiner (for his last year of kindy age 5.5-6.5). Thing is, his friend Lenny has moved up to butterflies, but his other best buddy Sol is still in caterpillars, and likely will be until the end of the school year, when he and Lenny both are transitioning to their regular schools, rather than staying with steiner. So, I can either put DS up for a term with lenny, or hold him back and keep him in a final term with Sol before everyone heads off to new schools.

Hard call, really. He loves both friends so much. And I really send him to school for his social needs. It's a toughy.