Page 4 of 306 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 4

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Most of the scandinavian diet is fish and game, berries, and root vegetables, some greens (usually micros), lots of interesting herbs (like juniper berries and stuff), which is cool. Scandinavians also had dairy -- cow and goat -- and have adapted to consume dairy, which is interesting. I do ok with raw, but I'm probably not going to go that way.

we'll be eating more fish and game, and there's a recipe for broccoli with anchovies, which should be cool. We eat seasonally here, which is quite good for us. gives us a bit more diversity.

I got him Kitchen of Light.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Pebbles, you sexy thing you!

No, I never did have a binge eating problem in the eating disorder sense of the word. I just ate too much sometimes of the good Primal food that was supposedly healthy. Like my yummy homemade mayo I could eat with a spoon. When I started thinking about calorie limits, this was not a problem.

Low carb has never bothered me. Maybe because i never was into sweets and starches that much in the first place. In fact I feel great at about 50/day.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Most of the scandinavian diet is fish and game, berries, and root vegetables, some greens (usually micros), lots of interesting herbs (like juniper berries and stuff), which is cool. Scandinavians also had dairy -- cow and goat -- and have adapted to consume dairy, which is interesting. I do ok with raw, but I'm probably not going to go that way.

we'll be eating more fish and game, and there's a recipe for broccoli with anchovies, which should be cool. We eat seasonally here, which is quite good for us. gives us a bit more diversity.

I got him Kitchen of Light.
    That sounds very Primal. I wonder if the cows in Scandinavia are A1 or A2?

I find that I do much better with raw dairy if I do it at all. It's something I cut down or out when I am trying to lose weight.

I dont' know, but this is the original breed of the norse: Icelandic cattle.

BTW, they are SUPER HUGE cattle. It's really interesting, because I'm used to being around cattle in general (they were raised around my house in PA), and then we went to Denmark, to Ribe where they have this great Viking Cultural Center, living museum thingy. They have all manner of viking era breeds of animals there. And these cattle were H-U-G-E.

Here also is an article talking about icelandic cattle vs other scandenavian breeds in regards to quality of milk. I found a pdf of the article that asserts that they are lower in A1, higher in A2, and this might be why icelandic children have lower incidents of childhood (type 1) diabetes. Interesting article, in that milk was collected in scandinavian countries, frozen, and shipped to NZ for testing.

Anyway, i love icelandic-style yogurt as well. It has a completely different mouth feel to other yogurts.

Dairy products in scandinavia, btw, are amazing. NZ gives a good run. the gelato here is really nice.

But, dairy is a rare treat for me, save for butter 2x week.
    Last edited by zoebird; 05-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Hey Paleobird, good to see you back and posting. Look forward to hearing of your ongoing progress.

I can empathise with the LHT slippage. I got slack with myself over the past month or two (v busy at work, minor shoulder injury, weather turned nasty = Sigi turns lazy), and have really noticed the quick regression in strength level. But it comes back quickly too, so no doubt you'll be right back in form in no time.

And good lord, your hiking schedule! Sheesh lady! Put the rest of us to shame.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Dairy products in scandinavia, btw, are amazing.
    Yeah, that does sound awesome. I remember the Masai cows milk and butter in Africa. It was intense. I think there is something to that A2 theory.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Hey Paleobird, good to see you back and posting. Look forward to hearing of your ongoing progress.

I can empathise with the LHT slippage. I got slack with myself over the past month or two (v busy at work, minor shoulder injury, weather turned nasty = Sigi turns lazy), and have really noticed the quick regression in strength level. But it comes back quickly too, so no doubt you'll be right back in form in no time.

And good lord, your hiking schedule! Sheesh lady! Put the rest of us to shame.
    Well, so far this week I have gotten my trail hike and my urban hike in plus one LHT with two days off for massively sore arms. If I do an LHT right now before dinner and my sprints tomorrow, I will have met my goals for the week.

See, this is the point behind this confounded journaling. I have just made myself get off my ass because I wrote it here. Not that any of you would know if I lied to you but I would know. *leaves to do LHT*

yeah, super yum. i want to try horse milk in mongolia.

Paleobird Guest
    Huzzah for self imposed peer pressure!

I just did my LHT. Does anyone else actually find level 4 on the planks easier than level 3? 3 is the feet/hands and 4 is the feet/forearm version. The feet/hands one just seems so unstable particularly on the side planks. At least with the forearm version you can hang on to the carpet with your hand to keep your balance. I'm only doing about half of the "mastery" level time but I'm working on it. I am determined to nip in the bud the mini-muffin top that is threatening to show over my skinny jeans. Those planks are amazing. They look so easy but they really kick your behind.

i love planks. i find both easy on account of doing the forever with yoga.

i'm just glad my shoulder is feeling better so that I can do chaturanga dandhasana more frequently.

Page 4 of 306 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast