Page 37 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 37

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, all you Stateside, Mexican-food-loving, great-chef sort of peeps. Please help out a hopeless home cook.

At my favourite Mex restaurant they make a fajita salad which is DELISH. Just flavourful marinated stir-fried meat served over a bed of salady stuff and avocado goopiness on top. Not spicy (I'm a wimp), but the flavour of the meat is divine. I would love to know how to get that flavour into the meats that I cook, but every fajita recipe I've looked up online seems wildly different, and usually with a bajillion ingredients. I don't really understand what specific ingredient(s) or combo thereof forms the base of the deliciousness that I crave and sadly can't afford to go out and buy every night. :-(

Anyone have some moderately simple and idiot-proof suggestions for me? <big-eyed, pathetic face>
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Of all the many places I have seen in this world, the ones that would qualify for the shortlist of potential retirement spots would be South Africa, Tanzania, new Zealand, and Australia. Of course I have a lot of unexplored places left too.

Dad is perking up remarkably well now that he has only two instead of five medications in his system and a good primal metabolism established. I'm feeling like he would be fine if I wanted to go on a vacation for a week or so. I could do some pre-cooking, things like roasts, tupperware containers of stews, etc. and make sure that the fridge is well stocked before leaving. I really don't think he would relapse into cookies and crackers. He has the link firmly in his mind that those foods=puffy and painful feet and doesn't want to go back there.

I've had a tentative invitation from a guy I met on my last cruise. Did I tell you about him? He was the piano bar pianist on the ship. Very talented musician and a real sweetie not to mention smokin' hot. <fans self>

The cruise lines have very strict prohibitions against crew/passenger hanky panky so we acknowledged that there was an attraction there but didn't want to risk doing anything about it. I would feel awful if I cost him his job. So we settled for 35 days of flirtation. Frustrating but still fun.

But the cruise line also has a policy of letting crew take a friend/spouse/family member with them for no charge. It's called the Friend On Board or FOB program. The FOB has to pay for their own transportation to the port and buy their own booze (but at a discount. Wait, this could be dangerous.)

So the Piano Man and I have been keeping in touch via email and he asked me if I would be interested in being his FOB for one of his cruises coming up this fall. This summer he is busy playing all the summer music festivals with his jazz band.

Hmm. Fun to think about. He is yummy looking and I have a weak spot for musically talented men. We had a lot of fun singing together on the ship. I've done a lot of choir singing and even sung backup for the SD symphony so I am not just bragging when I say I have a better than average voice. He was impressed that I could learn songs so quickly and figure out harmony parts without sheet music. It's just intuitive for me.

So I would basically be getting a free cruise plus lots of sex with a really great guy. What's not to like?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Okay, all you Stateside, Mexican-food-loving, great-chef sort of peeps. Please help out a hopeless home cook.

At my favourite Mex restaurant they make a fajita salad which is DELISH. Just flavourful marinated stir-fried meat served over a bed of salady stuff and avocado goopiness on top. Not spicy (I'm a wimp), but the flavour of the meat is divine. I would love to know how to get that flavour into the meats that I cook, but every fajita recipe I've looked up online seems wildly different, and usually with a bajillion ingredients. I don't really understand what specific ingredient(s) or combo thereof forms the base of the deliciousness that I crave and sadly can't afford to go out and buy every night. :-(

Anyone have some moderately simple and idiot-proof suggestions for me? <big-eyed, pathetic face>
    Chipotle peppers. You can buy them canned. They are peppers that have been fire roasted. You don't have to use a lot if you are a spice wimp but that smokey pepper taste is what you need.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think a free cruise sounds like a good plan, honestly.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Now THAT is friends with benefits.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Now THAT is friends with benefits.
    This

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, many potential benefits there.

Stop that, brain. It is too warm here today to be thinking about that. <fan, fan, fan>

My big project for the day is donating blood at the blood bank so I'm trying to pump as many fluids into myself as I can.

Now even that sounded naughty. See what can happen to a perfectly respectable retired professor's brain when the hormones start pumping? Kind of nice to know I still have hormones when needed, though. My oh my he is adorable. And, if the couple of kisses we got before stopping ourselves are at all indicative of other skills, there could indeed be a lot of benefits involved there. Nice hands too. I used to just watch them as they would glide over the ivories and think, "I would like to be that keyboard".

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I've been so pleased with my lowered appetite... but the pics and food musings have me salivating and I just had lunch!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I've been so pleased with my lowered appetite... but the pics and food musings have me salivating and I just had lunch!
    Sorry about that. Now let's see, what mouth watering delight shall I photograph tonight so I can get you tomorrow at work again? Muahahahahhhh!

I'm back from the blood bank now and feeling a bit "tapped out". The couch is calling me to come take a nap.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I so figured out why your food looks better than mine!! It is all in the presentation! Mine is put on a plate. Yours is presented. Mine, no art. Yours, bed of greens, tastefully arranged..........just plain yummy!

I'll have to take notes.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.