Page 33 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 33

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I did a game night (or, day and night) with friends yesterday, too! We played Settlers of Catan and Dominion this time. Which games do you play?
    Those are both excellent, excellent games. I also recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe as being of similar quality.

PB, do you know when you are getting published?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Are those video games? Our game nights are more about card or board games. Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Life's a Pitch, Chrononauts, etc.

I don't know which Friday it will be published. Lady Grok, who had her story published recently, said on the She Groks only thread that she was notified by email the day before it came out. I will let you know if I hear anything. I have no idea how many of those stories Mark gets and how many he chooses to publish or not.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Settlers is a board game, and Dominion is card-based. They are both strategy with a bit of luck.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Those are both excellent, excellent games. I also recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe as being of similar quality.

PB, do you know when you are getting published?
    Ooh, I just bought a still-in-shrink-wrap "Ticket to Ride - Days of Wonder" (America version not Europe) at a tag sale. I hope it's as good as it looks. I kind of wish it was Europe, but I can't complain getting a $40 game for $3! I'm glad to hear the Europe version is so good. I have high hopes for this game...

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    We really enjoy Ticket to Ride (North America). It is a great family game- easy to learn, but not boring to play. $3! What a deal!

mikezentz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Are those video games? Our game nights are more about card or board games. Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Life's a Pitch, Chrononauts, etc.

I don't know which Friday it will be published. Lady Grok, who had her story published recently, said on the She Groks only thread that she was notified by email the day before it came out. I will let you know if I hear anything. I have no idea how many of those stories Mark gets and how many he chooses to publish or not.
    Apples to Apples is the most addictive game. We just got into Settlers. Hello by the way

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

They are german style tabletop games (boardgames or cardgames). Although dominion is loosely based on Magic the Gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Ooh, I just bought a still-in-shrink-wrap "Ticket to Ride - Days of Wonder" (America version not Europe) at a tag sale. I hope it's as good as it looks. I kind of wish it was Europe, but I can't complain getting a $40 game for $3! I'm glad to hear the Europe version is so good. I have high hopes for this game...
    Yeah, the american version is still a good game (it doesn't suck), it's just the first version of the game that was printed. So the European version is basically strictly better in terms of its rules enhancements.

I would add 'stations' to the american version as a house rule (the station rule: as your action for the turn, you may spend a carriage card to effectively 'borrow' a route already claimed by someone else. That route counts as being your for the purposes of determining which tickets are successfully completed at the end of the game. Each station counts as -4 points at the end of the game, but sometimes that's the difference between completing your big ticket and failing miserably at it). It is *such* a kick in the junk if someone blocks your route otherwise. I mean, it's an opportunity to develop character.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-25-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks for all the great ideas about new games to look into.

We've really been having fun with Life's a Pitch lately. It is a card game in which each person gets seven cards with the names of objects on them. Some of them are really weird like "a very hairy back" or "sequined gloves" or "an irate prairie dog". Then the judge for that round gets a "situation card" for example, "My friend is lost in the Amazon. What do you have that will save her?" or "While fumigating the attic of the White House, exterminators were surprised to find <this>". Then each person has to pick their best card and give a sales pitch for why it should be the one chosen. If you have a group of quick witted and articulate people, it can be hilarious what we come up with.

Welcome to the Birdnest, Mike. I think the same people who like Apples to Apples would also like Life's a Pitch because of the word play and weird associations involved.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-25-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    DSCN0139.jpg

This (yesterday's dinner) is what I think of whenever anyone starts getting whinny about Primal being so restrictive and no fun at all.

This is just an average dinner at my house consisting of a swordfish steak cooked in garlic herb Kerrygold butter with a salad containing tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc all covered in a homemade caesar dressing with a side of half a perfectly ripe avocado.
    To drink there is a glass of San Peligrino with Rangpur lime wedges (homegrown limes). And for dessert, fresh raspberries and homemade whipped cream made from raw cream.

Yeah, somebody eating this dinner would walk away feeling so restricted and un-fullfilled because there was no bread
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-26-2012 at 02:17 PM.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Now, that is a super fantastic meal. Why don't people think beyond the obvious? You should post that picture on the Recipe/Good Eats forum.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.