Page 31 of 306 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 31

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I just finished up my 72 hour fast with a delicious porterhouse steak at The Outback. Oh my tummy is sooooooo happy.

It wasn't really that hard to do. I had done 48 hours before but this was the first time pushing it to 72. This afternoon though, I started to feel really tired and a bit foggy brained and my hands and feet got cold (not normal for me). I think 72 hours was a good place to call it quits.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Are you still medicated at all after your heart troubles or have you been able to kick the pills?
    Been free of all meds for about 18 mo. Not even aspirin
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Been free of all meds for about 18 mo. Not even aspirin
    Yay! That's wonderful.

My Dad's doctor just agreed today to take him off the second of his two BP meds. So he's down to just Cumadin and Amiodarone. His blood pressure is reading around 110/65 consistently.

I think anyone, even those with a CW doctor, can argue their case for getting off of meds much better with data to back it up. We have been taking Dad's BP every morning after breakfast and writing it down in a log. Then I send the results to the doctor who says, "Sure. It's obvious that you don't need that pill anymore. Great." That's better than going to your physician with "I don't like to take pills".

Paleobird Guest
    Today I am starting an experiment into the Fast 5 approach to eating. Has anybody done this?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    The Fast 5 is basically an eating window between 5 and 10 pm and no eating at other times. It looks like it would fit in well with my life because I don't have work or social obligations in the early part of the day that would make not eating unsociable feeling. But I do make and have dinner with my Dad.

I tried the warrior diet for a bit when I first went Primal but I found that the one meal only per 24 hours can put too much pressure on to stuff your face all in one sitting. Today I was cooking and so I was able to have a little taste test preview of dinner at 5. That took the edge off the hunger and so I was able to eat a normal sized portion when I sat down with Dad at 6. I know that I can have a little snack later like some jerky or kefir without any mental self directed finger wagging about "no snacks, ever."

The theory is that the 19 hours of fasting time allows your body to get some serious fat burning going on.

I got introduced to the whole idea by Nady on the fasting thread. She said that it worked well for her to do a fast and then go into the fast 5 eating style and that this way the pounds lost in the fast did not bounce back on.

BTW, I was a 1/4lb under 150 again today. I know it's mental, but for some reason it feels so good to move that big weight on the bottom bar of the scale from 150 to 100.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    There was a Fast-5 thread on this forum which petered out a month ago or so. The Facebook group is active though, if you're a FB user. Have you downloaded and read the free book?

I was using this protocol for a while, and it certainly did kick-start the weight loss. I don't do it religiously, but it's a good option to have up my sleeve to kick things up now and again. I agree it's better than one meal a day, for the reasons you suggest.

At times I found it really easy to last until the start of my eating window (usually 3-8 pm), and I would literally forget to eat until I left work for the day and picked up my untouched lunch bag. Other days it was So. Hard. I suspect my hormonal cycle had something to do with it - you know, the old "hungry week" syndrome. I suspect you'd be a great candidate for it though, PB.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    I don't do facebook but I did get the Fast 5 ebook download. It's pretty straightforward. I don't feel that much terrible hunger but I don't feel very energetic either. Some of that may have to do with the fact that I was up too late last night. We'll have to see how this goes.
    I never did get "hungry week" even back in the day. The only symptom of PMS I ever got was aggressively horny. Never had any complaints about that.

Paleobird Guest
    I had an email from Mark last night saying that he is going to publish my story for his weekly friday success story post. I had to sign legal paperwork swearing that everything was truthful and all that. I'm not sure which week it will be but stay tunes for updates.

Hmmmm. Feels different to think of it as a success story. To me it feels like an ongoing journey.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

You made mention earlier that you thought Mark may not want to publish your success story because of the portion control that you did. I am glad he is going to because people need to realize that it works differently for everyone and while some people may not need to watch portions, other people definitely do. Your journey to this point has been nothing short of amazing and i am very glad that it will be shared so others may benefit.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    You made mention earlier that you thought Mark may not want to publish your success story because of the portion control that you did. I am glad he is going to because people need to realize that it works differently for everyone and while some people may not need to watch portions, other people definitely do. Your journey to this point has been nothing short of amazing and i am very glad that it will be shared so others may benefit.
    Thank you, honeybuns.
    Well I made sure to point out that my complaint was not anti-PB the book but anti-forum "wisdom". And I made sure to tell people that I would recommend reading the book first before taking anything on the boards as gospel.