Page 297 of 306 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 297

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Does that mean your house sale is finally final? If so, congratulations!

This recipe also works well with roasting or slow cooking.
    Almost final. Due to close either Friday or Monday so I'm expecting Monday and will be pleasantly surprised if it is Friday.

Yep. Put critter in a pan in the oven or in the slowcooker. (salt and pepper to taste) It's not that hard. I guess some people were probably raised by people who couldn't cook (or didn't have time/energy to cook) and they just feel apprehensive about it. But really it is faster to throw some meat in a saute pan and make a salad than it is to get pizza delivered.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Re cooking...I think that children who spend time in the kitchen and watch meals being prepared from scratch (it's only recently I've learnt that meals can be prepared in other ways as I've kept my mother's practices: to me, home cooking = scratch cooking) absorb this knowledge until it seems to be so basic that it's not knowledge.

For instance, husband was shooed out of the kitchen when he was growing up and although his mother cooked, mainly from scratch, he has no idea about the order in which to do things to save time and/or ensure everything is on the table at the same time. He has a very limited repertoire of recipes he knows without looking at a book, whereas unless I'm baking (and I know three or four cakes off by heart too) I'm happy to cook from whatever is in the fridge and wing it. There are basics that I just *know*. Like I know how to walk and talk. These things are mostly traditional English staples, but with that confidence behind me I can pick up a recipe book for inspiration or simply look at what's available and work from there. Those are learnt skills, but were they were learned by osmosis when I was small.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, my mother was a really good cook and I did spend a lot of time with her in the kitchen growing up. My older sister thought she was too cool for that and so she never learned how to cook. She's lucky she married a guy who is a really great cook or they would starve.

I would guess there are a lot more clueless men than women out there.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    It's interesting how different people define "home made".

I have a coworker who brought "home made" Swedish meatballs to a pot-luck lunch. Knowing that some recipes call for flour to hold the meatballs together, I asked her what ingredients she'd used for her "home made" meatballs. It turns out that she bought a bag of frozen meatballs and put them in her crockpot with water and a packet of gravy mix.

She thought that was "home made" "Swedish" meatballs. *facepalm*

I didn't eat any of the meatballs.

My grandmother immigrated to the US from Sweden. I have her Swedish meatball recipe; it originally included flour, but I make it without. At one of our next pot-lucks, I'm going to bring real home made Swedish meatballs.

This coworker also brought "home made" sloppy joes to a subsequent pot-luck. Knowing her "cooking" methods, I didn't eat any, but out of curiosity, I asked how she'd made them. She used a can of Manwich sloppy joe mix and added ketchup and brown sugar. She was proud that this was home made. *headdesk*

Paleobird Guest
    Ya. If your ingredients had lists of ingredients, it's not home made.

I've known people who proudly thought their cookies made with the frozen Nestle Tollhouse dough were home made.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thank you. I've noticed the posts you do make and you should lurk less and post more. Welcome.
    Thanks! I thought I would take your advice and got accused of being an a**hole in the Sanity and Weightloss thread... Oh well. I will never understand why some folks would just rather be miserable.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Thanks! I thought I would take your advice and got accused of being an a**hole in the Sanity and Weightloss thread... Oh well. I will never understand why some folks would just rather be miserable.
    Oh, I get called an a**hole all the time around here. You get used to it.

Seriously though, like PB said, post more.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

I really don't get the threads griping about how hard it is to cook. Toss fat and food in pan and heat. Done.
    No joke; people I know who start paleo/primal are always asking me stuff like "what cookbooks do I need?"

I'm like "...Uh...I dunno; I'm pretty sure I've never used a cookbook in my life. Fat, meat, some veggies and/or eggs in a pan or slow cooker or whatever, some spices and herbs...I mean, it's not tricky."

Sure there are some "specialty" things I'm good at, but it's still all made up. I really don't get how cooking is difficult. And I'm a dude's dude.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I think I'm a "bad cook". I keep things outrageously simple (stir-fry style, essentially, with some potatoes on the side) most of the time. Really, all I'm lacking is some variety. Cooking is damn simple. The hardest part is figuring out how much heat you need! That's been a bitch for me because of my shitty cast iron pans (still really need to strip one and start over with it, but don't have a self-cleaning oven and don't want to use caustic chemicals on it).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I went and read that passage. Posting in a thread about eating disorders is an emotional minefield. I just try to stay clear of them altogether. You and Canio6 were both saying the same thing and you were both right. Leida is a neurotic person with some serious body dysmorphia issues. Personally I tried to defend her the same way YogaBare was doing for a while. After a while I just had it up to here with her griping about being a beached whale at a perfectly healthy and even slim weight. I gave up. She will be neurotic until she gets some help AND chooses to change. That's the thing. I think she likes the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Oh, I get called an a**hole all the time around here. You get used to it.
    Seriously though, like PB said, post more.
    Canio6, you should post more, on my journal. Maybe I should post more bikini pics. Those always seem to "raise" the male readership around here

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    No joke; people I know who start paleo/primal are always asking me stuff like "what cookbooks do I need?"
    Sure there are some "specialty" things I'm good at, but it's still all made up. I really don't get how cooking is difficult. And I'm a dude's dude.
    Maybe you could write a cookbook as your next adventure in publishing. "The Dude's Dude's Guide to Cooking". Seriously, with your writing abilities, it would probably be a huge seller.