Page 29 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 29

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Anti-biotics can definitely do a number on your gut flora. I've recently started drinking "Cultured Coconut Milk" that I found at Sprouts. It has all the good pro-biotics of yoghurt or kefir but with a lot less carbs and calories. While I know that the MCT oil in coconut is supposed to be beneficial, it can sometimes cause intestinal distress (as in the trots) if someone is sensitive to it or it is overdone, or someone like your wife who has gut issues. I have found that this "cultured" form doesn't have any bad side effects on me. And it's quite tasty too, with the consistency of kefir. OK, it has a teensy bit of tapioca dextrose in it. So not perfect but an option.
    I took the liberty of actually asking her how her IBS was,and she said that it was much better now. She currently thinks that it was a combination of constipation and gluten sensitivity. THe constipation is still there (being treated with gut bacteria, once she gets off her current antibiotics) but the gluten sensitivity has cleared right up.

I will tell her about the cultured coconut milk. Thanks for that. She currently makes milk kefir (but I think the kids drink, since they 'luuurrve' it) and kombucha. She has a masters in biochemistry, so I think she enjoys fermenting things just to keep her hand in.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly cures prostate cancer by painting iodine on your testicles. Seriously? WTF????
    Head. Bang. On. Desk.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

I make mine with an almond meal crust (Don't tell Choco or he'll come over and wag his finger at me about my PUFAs). I just mash up softened butter with the almond meal until I have enough to cover the pan and it "feels" like the right consistency, not too greasy, not too dry.

Then separate one egg and use the egg white to coat the inside of the crust and seal if from getting soggy. Pop the pan and crust into the oven for a few minutes to firm this up.

Then I just beat up a bunch of eggs including the extra yolk and a splash of cream (ricotta cheese or cream cheese also work well) and mix in whatever is left in the fridge, like a few mushrooms, green onions, sausage, broccoli, etc.

Pour the whole mix into the pan and bake until a knife put in the middle comes out clean.
    Sounds delish.

I always have trouble with my primal quiches - they rise and get lovely and puffy and golden ... and then sink spectacularly. They taste okay, but are UG-LY. Am I putting in too much cream/dairy, or perhaps overbeating the mixture? How do you guys combine your eggy mix before pouring over the filling?

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    @ magicmeri, I'm glad your wife is feeling better. She sounds like the fermentation queen. That's great. Does she make her own saurkraut?

@sigi yes, if I let myself read that thread too often, my head gets very sore from banging against the desk.

What you are cooking sounds more like a kafloutie (sp?) . I think you need to have just enough of the egg/dairy mix to hold everything together but the largest volume in the pan should be the veggies/meats.

@ magicmeri, I'm glad your wife is feeling better. She sounds like the fermentation queen. That's great. Does she make her own saurkraut?
    She.. does. (looks round for hidden webcam Paleobird must have secretly installed)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    She.. does. (looks round for hidden webcam Paleobird must have secretly installed)
    You'll never find it. I disguised it cleverly. Muahahah.

I've always wanted to try making my own kombucha, kefir, kraut, etc. but I am a bit chicken about fermenting things. I get scared I'm going to poison myself with some deadly bacterial growth or something.
    Your wife's education in biochem must be very helpful to her.

It's super easy (says the person who doesn't do it). Kombucha in particular is pretty easy to grow. The hardest bit is probably finding a friend who has a starter culture or organism you can start with.

And I don't know that the biochem background is that necessary for making things (anyone can do it with Nourishing Traditions). It's been more useful in sifting through the various theories and misinformation as we're working out what is good and what is snake-oil on our primal journey.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Well the biochem degree isn't strictly necessary it's just that she probably feels more comfortable with things bubbling in jars around the kitchen than I do.

Speaking of snake oil and mis-information. Cancer is not a fungus. Why do some people not get this?

What you are cooking sounds more like a kafloutie (sp?) . I think you need to have just enough of the egg/dairy mix to hold everything together but the largest volume in the pan should be the veggies/meats.
    Hmm, perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. What I put in depends on whatever's in the fridge (sometimes not much). And I do love lotsa eggs!

And thank you for inspiring a sudden craving for cherry clafoutis ... bad Paleobird!

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Hmm, perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. What I put in depends on whatever's in the fridge (sometimes not much). And I do love lotsa eggs!

And thank you for inspiring a sudden craving for cherry clafoutis ... bad Paleobird!
    Clafoutis with a C. Ah, that's how it's spelled and why my search wasn't working. Why on earth would you want to put cherries in one when you could put bacon, cheese, and onions? I've always gone more for the savory than the sweet I guess.