Page 288 of 306 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 288

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As a kid who was a bit of a summer mall brat in the 80's and early 90's you have no idea how many time was was NINJA sprayed!
    That was so common they made a Friends episode out of it I think... LOL

And I have actual allergic reactions to some of that stuff... like hive reactions.

I wear fragrances now, but i do much better with real parfums(still have to spot test) and parfum oils than the eau de toilettes they sprayed willy nilly all over the place.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    We lose more work clothes to bougainvillea than anything else other than the sun. Have also had the thorns go right through leather gloves.

Pentas. You can buy them cheap as an "annual" at most retail nurseries, but anywhere you can grow bougainvillea outside, pentas will be a perennial shrub. They fill in fast, come in many colors, are covered in flowers even after trimming,less frequent trimming, no thorns, no sprawling, butterflies love them, and they'll bloom better under lower light conditions while still performing wonderfully in the sun.
    We have a monster at the front of the house. It grows like a plague but barely flowers. No amount of pruning dents it. We feel as though we're harbouring a triffid, or living in Sleeping Beauty's castle. What can we do to encourage flowers rather than thorns, or at least as well as?
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    As a kid who was a bit of a summer mall brat in the 80's and early 90's you have no idea how many time was was NINJA sprayed!
    That was so common they made a Friends episode out of it I think... LOL
    And I have actual allergic reactions to some of that stuff... like hive reactions.
    I wear fragrances now, but i do much better with real parfums(still have to spot test) and parfum oils than the eau de toilettes they sprayed willy nilly all over the place.
    Yes, I do much better with things like essential oils. I think a lot of the allergenic reaction is to the medium they put it in, alcohol and other chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    We have a monster at the front of the house. It grows like a plague but barely flowers. No amount of pruning dents it. We feel as though we're harbouring a triffid, or living in Sleeping Beauty's castle. What can we do to encourage flowers rather than thorns, or at least as well as?
    Q????? Paging Q?????

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    [/B]I find I just have less patience for strong chemical smells. I think it's because my senses have become more acute without the chronic mild sinus stuffiness caused by wheat. I used to consider semi stuffed up as kind of normal. Now anybody who messes with my free flowing airways is not wise.
    I still hate being ninja sprayed and chemical smells in general, but at least now I don't have to hold my breath when I walk by a candle store. Accidentally eating wheat leads to near immediate breathing trouble for me, though I haven't gone into anaphylactic shock from it so far.

PE classes were always torture because I was always guilted into thinking I had a hard time running because I didn't run a lot and if I only ran more I would have an easier time. So for mile runs I'd spend 10+ minutes running while feeling like someone was squeezing my lungs, and at least as long recovering after I stopped. Then if I didn't do well enough I'd have to do it again. Always baffled the teachers that it never got any easier for me.

Now that I actually know how it feels to breath and not be in pain from running a few steps, I am downright militant if someone tries to forces wheat on me.

I just learned how to spell bougainvillea from your post. Too bad I'm not doing my own gardening anymore.
    I always like it when someone learns something new about plants.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Have you tried ylang-ylang? It's the tree they make Chanel No.5 with. You could easily stick a flower in your purse or pocket and have the smell for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    There are two main reasons a bougainvillea will not bloom:
    1. Not enough light. They will have very few flowers if they do not get several hours of direct sunlight every day.
    2. Too frequent pruning. Bougainvillea will only bloom on the new growth. If you are constantly trimming the new growth, then you are removing the flower buds.

My recommendation would be to pull out the bougainvillea, burn it, have a priest sanctify the area it was planted in, and put a nice plant in.

Q????? Paging Q?????
    Yes Ma'am?

Paleobird Guest
    Candle stores don't bother me much as most of those scents are natural things like cinnamon. What gets me is the soap aisle in the grocery store. I hold my breath, duck in and get some swiffer pads really fast and duck back out to gasp some fresh air.

Where would one obtain a yiang-yiang blossom?

I love bougainvillea to look at as long as someone else takes care of them. When my sister housesat for me when I was in Africa for a month she went and planted a bunch at my house (without asking). Not my problem anymore. I hope the new owners enjoy them.

Where would one obtain a yiang-yiang blossom?
    From a yLang-yLang tree of course. You could probably grow one where you are. There is a dwarf variety that people can grow in pots, maybe you can ask around at some nurseries if you are interested. I have seedlings for full-sized ones in my nursery but I can't ship outside Florida.

I love bougainvillea to look at as long as someone else takes care of them. When my sister housesat for me when I was in Africa for a month she went and planted a bunch at my house (without asking). Not my problem anymore. I hope the new owners enjoy them.
    Unfortunately a lot of my dad's maintenance customers feel the same way, and I'm usually the one who has to take care of them.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Bougainvillea... sounds like the Southern plant monster version of what the farmers up here hafta deal with - that invasive wild rose. Multiflora, I think. Ugh.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks for the subtle spelling correction, Q. That's what I get for posting without my reading glasses.

The only place I could grow anything is in a window box area out of the guest room window. It gets good sunlight in the morning but none later in the day. Would that suit a ylang-ylang tree? How big does the dwarf variety get?

If you have a balcony I'd recommend putting it out there, otherwise the sunniest window possible should work. The dwarf variety gets 8-10 feet tall and takes a long time to get that size, so you should easily be able to keep it trimmed to a manageable size. Just make sure it's the dwarf, the normal one can be up to 80 feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Bougainvillea... sounds like the Southern plant monster version of what the farmers up here hafta deal with - that invasive wild rose. Multiflora, I think. Ugh.
    It's not quite as bad in that respect because I have never seen bougainvillea spread by seed or runners. A single plant can take over a whole house though.