Page 286 of 306 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 286

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks, Q. I have never seen or heard of a gold kiwi before. Is it a separate plant or just a more ripe version of the same thing?
    Gold kiwi is Actinida chinensis while green kiwi are Actinida deliciosa, so they are separate species.

It's eater beware though, as according to that paper above, gold kiwi does share other allergens with green and there's no telling which one is bothering you.
    Last edited by Quies; 06-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Gold kiwi is Actinida chinensis while green kiwi are Actinida deliciosa, so they are separate species.

It's eater beware though, as according to that paper above, gold kiwi does share other allergens with green and there's no telling which one is bothering you.
    Hmm. Not sure it would be worth trying.

I am getting so I really hate the forums. It's just the same argument with the same players over and over again. So tediously predictable. I think I need to take a break from MDA. When GMan and I go camping we are going net free which I think will be helpful. Three weeks unplugged.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    ;_;

One thing about me: I'm contrarian by nature. I'll usually take the least popular stance, just because. Don't take it personally, at the end of the day, I never hold other people's opinions against them, I think that's just silly.

If you think I'm bad about VLC, you should see how I debate against CW people about saturated fat, cholesterol, etc;
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I hope your camping trip goes well, you sound like you need to be unplugged for a while.

I have some... issues that keep me from posting much on forums unless I have a very strong opinion on something, or it's about plants. I can talk all day about plants.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Ouch. I wonder if you are allergic to something else in the mango, the mango was underripe, or there was cross-contamination from peeling.

Looks like gold kiwi doesn't have actinidin in it, one of the major allergens of kiwi.
    My problem with mangoes must be in the "something else" category. It's happened too many times to be a once-off accidental cross-contamination or such. And my reaction is worse every time - from "hmm, wonder what that little rash is" 15 years ago, to "shit, even steroids don't fix it readily any more" now. Kind of scary. I have to be really cautious around all things "tropical" in case there is some yummy mango lurking therein, waiting to get me.

And, of course, they are my favourite fruit. *pouts furiously*

Hey Quies, thanks for the info on gold kiwis, you clever thing. PB, who knows, you may well like them - they taste similar to the green variety, but with a slightly more tropical/melon-like flavour. But of course if you don't know what allergen causes your problem, there is a risk. I guess I got lucky.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    My problem with mangoes must be in the "something else" category. It's happened too many times to be a once-off accidental cross-contamination or such. And my reaction is worse every time - from "hmm, wonder what that little rash is" 15 years ago, to "shit, even steroids don't fix it readily any more" now. Kind of scary. I have to be really cautious around all things "tropical" in case there is some yummy mango lurking therein, waiting to get me.
    Do you have severe allergies to poison ivy, oak, or sumac? In my experience, people who are allergic to mangos, but not the flesh are very severely allergic to poison ivy as mango doesn't tend to be as strong. If you are not, then that does put your allergy to the flesh squarely in the something else category.

------------------

Just found this. Looks like in addition to delayed contact dermatitis, there is a rare immediate allergy from eating mango flesh:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3206236/
    Consumption of canned or packaged mango too can precipitate an allergic reaction as allergenicity of mango nectar persists even after heating, enzymatic degradation and mechanically caused tissue degradation.
    Last edited by Quies; 06-07-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

I am getting so I really hate the forums. It's just the same argument with the same players over and over again. So tediously predictable. I think I need to take a break from MDA. When GMan and I go camping we are going net free which I think will be helpful. Three weeks unplugged.
    I am really loving the "ignore" feature. Keeps me sane!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When GMan and I go camping we are going net free which I think will be helpful. Three weeks unplugged.
    Sounds restorative. And lovely.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    One thing about me: I'm contrarian by nature. I'll usually take the least popular stance, just because. Don't take it personally, at the end of the day, I never hold other people's opinions against them, I think that's just silly.
    Just a tad presumptuous aren't you, assuming my dissatisfaction with this board is all about you?

I hope your camping trip goes well, you sound like you need to be unplugged for a while.
    I have some... issues that keep me from posting much on forums unless I have a very strong opinion on something, or it's about plants. I can talk all day about plants.
    Plants are such good companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    My problem with mangoes must be in the "something else" category.
    And, of course, they are my favourite fruit. *pouts furiously*
    Hey Quies, thanks for the info on gold kiwis, you clever thing. PB, who knows, you may well like them - they taste similar to the green variety, but with a slightly more tropical/melon-like flavour. But of course if you don't know what allergen causes your problem, there is a risk. I guess I got lucky.
    Q sure knows her stuff when it comes to plants. Good to have an expert around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sounds restorative. And lovely.
    Yeah, I think I need a civilization break.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Just a tad presumptuous aren't you, assuming my dissatisfaction with this board is all about you?
    maybe, but it's at least a tad bit about me.

also, I share in your need for a break from civilization. most people I encounter daily disgust me.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.