Page 280 of 306 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 280

  1. #2791
    Twibble's Avatar
    Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    2,275
    This is the one issue that my hubby and I majorly disagree on in regards to children. He and his mother, who is a nurse, insist that it's healthier and cleaner. Urgh.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

    If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

    Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

  2. #2792
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    nah, it bugs me too -- and there are even orthodox jews who are now questioning whether or not the ritual needs to be done.

    and, apparently, more than 60% of boys born today are kept intact in the US, which means that it's more likely that he'll see an intact penis rather than a circ'd one in the locker room.

    here in NZ, the only circs are religious (muslim/jewish). the jewish one is partial (just the tip) so most of the organ and new endings are maintained. but the muslim one is currently using the plastibel procedure -- which is apparently incredibly painful. but, you know, i's babies and they don't remember, right? (the answer is no. their brain is developing rapidly, as are neurological connections. this impacts brain develpment. it might not be a conscious memory, but it is a neurological one).

  3. #2793
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    This is the one issue that my hubby and I majorly disagree on in regards to children. He and his mother, who is a nurse, insist that it's healthier and cleaner. Urgh.
    Do you have sons yet? And if it was unclean and unhealthy to have it intact, how did Grok and the boys manage to survive and thrive as species. Also, by the "cleaner" reasoning we should have little girls labia removed because that obviously is a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria. Urg.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    nah, it bugs me too -- and there are even orthodox jews who are now questioning whether or not the ritual needs to be done.

    and, apparently, more than 60% of boys born today are kept intact in the US, which means that it's more likely that he'll see an intact penis rather than a circ'd one in the locker room.

    here in NZ, the only circs are religious (muslim/jewish). the jewish one is partial (just the tip) so most of the organ and new endings are maintained. but the muslim one is currently using the plastibel procedure -- which is apparently incredibly painful. but, you know, i's babies and they don't remember, right? (the answer is no. their brain is developing rapidly, as are neurological connections. this impacts brain develpment. it might not be a conscious memory, but it is a neurological one).
    Well that's good to know that the tide is turning on this.

    There are some muslim people who actually do that full circ when the kid is at puberty. It's a "coming of age" ritual. I dated a Moroccan guy when I lived in France that had had that done to him by his family in the courtyard of the family house. He had a zig zag scar all the way around that looked horrible. (No wonder he was kinda twisted when it came to bedroom stuff.) He said it was traditional to do it without any anesthetic and that it is a big deal that the kid is not supposed to cry or scream, dishonoring the family and all that nonsense. Fucking barbarians.

  4. #2794
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Yeah, apparently they do it at infancy, 3-4 yrs old, or 12 yrs old depending upon the country. which indicates, really, that it's a country thing, not a religious thing, that then became a religious thing. so terrible, really.

  5. #2795
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I really like living by the water. The Wolf Cub and I went for a nice long walk along the harborside today. All the lost looking tourists were out with their maps. Evidently if one has a dog people figure you must be a local and you turn into the mobile tourist information booth. I don't mind stopping to help out lost people as I have been a tourist in many a place around the world.

    The GMan and I are planning a little camping trip to Bryce and Zion national parks. Both of us have been there but neither had enough time to really see them thoroughly and do some hiking. Taking the Wolf Cub with us of course.

  6. #2796
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    8,159
    Sounds like a blast. How bare bones do you camp? Hike in? Car to a spot? Five star hotel on the beach? (No, wait, that would be me.) Sounds like the two of you (and the cub) are coming together really nicely. Couldn't happen for a nicer person.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  7. #2797
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    that'll be an awesome trip! you can take as long as you want, since you're both retired and the kiddo (i mean dog) goes with you.

    also, can i just say that this "men lifting" thread and all of the harsh cis-gender enforcement is sad as can be? I mean, good lord! if a woman can decide what defines her as a person and live that without fear of being "less" of a woman (which has not yet arrived in our culture but hey, its' better than it was), then certainly a man can do the same.

    My man lifts, wears long hair, shaves his face/chest, likes to polish his nails on occasion, sometimes wears eye liner, and carries a bag on more than one occasion. He's our "housewife" and also the primary carer of his child. He's still very masculine and manly and a 'real man.'

    My son is in love with all kinds of gender exploration through costume and is a 'girl-something' nearly half the days of the week. He has a magical cloak that he puts on in the morning that reveals what he is that day. Then, he dresses and plays in accordance with that. He's very much a normal, active boy. He also likes to wear his hair long, but doesn't care about nail polish or make up (except costume make up!).

    I just want my boys (men) to be free to choose who they are. To be able to express themselves however they want. To be supported as human beings no matter what choices, and know that -- if they are cis-gendered (and DH is and who knows waht DS will be), then they are 'real men' even if that includes long hair and nail polish.

  8. #2798
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    rant over. i just figured you'd understand.

  9. #2799
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sounds like a blast. How bare bones do you camp? Hike in? Car to a spot? Five star hotel on the beach? (No, wait, that would be me.) Sounds like the two of you (and the cub) are coming together really nicely. Couldn't happen for a nicer person.
    GMan has a nice cab over camper that is big enough for the three of us. We've done it before back in the day. One of the many things I always liked about GMan was that we got along well on the road. I really think that anyone even contemplating something as silly as marriage should be forced to spend a couple of weeks together camping. It would save everyone a lot of time and grief. If you are not compatible, that is when it is going to show.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    that'll be an awesome trip! you can take as long as you want, since you're both retired and the kiddo (i mean dog) goes with you.

    also, can i just say that this "men lifting" thread and all of the harsh cis-gender enforcement is sad as can be? I mean, good lord! if a woman can decide what defines her as a person and live that without fear of being "less" of a woman (which has not yet arrived in our culture but hey, its' better than it was), then certainly a man can do the same.

    I just want my boys (men) to be free to choose who they are. To be able to express themselves however they want. To be supported as human beings no matter what choices, and know that -- if they are cis-gendered (and DH is and who knows waht DS will be), then they are 'real men' even if that includes long hair and nail polish.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    rant over. i just figured you'd understand.
    I must have missed a thread. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. But I agree that stereotypes are just that and nothing more. Defining yourself takes guts.

  10. #2800
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah. keep missing that thread. it's scary. i mean, so sad. poor DH has fussed about that since his cultural studies degree (which includes a lot about gender in it -- in fact, his study was in male identity and muscle).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •