Page 28 of 306 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 28

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hawk and his girlfriend have been "dating" since he was 1.5 and she was 2. They are going to get married when they are 14-16 years old and then they are going to Japan -- without the parents. This is what they tell us.

Recently, when the two of them are together -- and her mother sits for us which is awesome -- they tend to talk about the children that they will have. Hawk is attempting to get her to agree to having "two at once, because then it's much easier, once and done" but she isn't at all convinced by it, as one at a time is probably better, and it's probably a good idea to just have one anyway. After all, both of their moms only have one, and it must be for some reason.

Hawk asserts that it is simply because we didn't plan ahead and have two at once, but she seems pretty convinced that there's something about this child-bearing thing that has "put us off" doing it again. LOL She has watched home-birth videos (so has Hawk), and I think it's more immediate for her as in "a baby comes out of what?" and he's like "cool, babies! they come out of girls!"

She's now about 4.5, and he's nearly 4, so yeah. It's all totally *hilarious* to us. They also share an imaginary pet elephant named Yugo. And Yugo sometimes spends the whole week with his girlfriend, and sometimes spends the whole week with him -- depending upon whose week it is in between wednesdays when they are together all day long.

They truly are hilarious. And, they sing together, which is really cute. Both play ukulele, but hawk usually also brings his harmonica -- right now they are working on their version of "moves like jagger" which is a very racey song, but Hawk has changed the verses to things he comprehends like playing with Yugo and going to Japan.

oh, and the most divine quiche I made was pear, gorgonzola, walnut, rocket, and I used cream instead of milk with the eggs. Delicious, seriously. Didn't need any salt or pepper or anything -- just perfect as it was.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    oh, and the most divine quiche I made was pear, gorgonzola, walnut, rocket, and I used cream instead of milk with the eggs. Delicious, seriously. Didn't need any salt or pepper or anything -- just perfect as it was.
    Hi Zoebird, I sometimes pop by as I like your posts. Tell me, what do you use for the quiche base? I love quiche and I know my kids would deat it too.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ooops. There was a typo in what you quoted. I meant testicle painting not paining. That's what they have been discussing on the iodine thread. Supposedly cures prostate cancer by painting iodine on your testicles. Seriously? WTF????

How's your wife's IBS doing now? Any better? I know what you mean about body recomp. The first change I saw was in inches around my waist even before I lost anything on the scale.
    I think it got better in some ways, and worse in others. She always suffered from constipation, and that got a bit worse when we transitioned over. She's been trying pribiotics recently to try and get a good gut culture, although that just got totally wrecked by her 'catching' appendicitis. The hospital put her on anti-biotics (which nuked her gut bacteria) and sent her home without operating, since that seemed like a better option than keyhole surgery to remove the appendix.

Agree on the belly fat. It's like going primal is just a vast front for Wheat-belly.

Although going primal I'm now more aware of when I am hungry and when I am not (I can't believe that I lived as long as I have without ever knowing what being hungry was). Being able to live off fats means we can fast more without being forced to eat every four hours.

Edit: Not directed at me, but do you need a quiche base? Just mix some half-cooked veges with cooked meat in a dish, then tip eggs over the top and bake in the oven. What did I miss?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Dexy,

It's crustless. I buttered the heck out of my glass pie dish, and then just put a layer of pear, then gorgonzola, then walnuts, then rocket, and then poured the egg/cream mixture over it.

then baked it until it was done.

it was really good.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    ohmysweetjeebus I need to try that.

Paleobird Guest
    I make mine with an almond meal crust (Don't tell Choco or he'll come over and wag his finger at me about my PUFAs). I just mash up softened butter with the almond meal until I have enough to cover the pan and it "feels" like the right consistency, not too greasy, not too dry.

Then separate one egg and use the egg white to coat the inside of the crust and seal if from getting soggy. Pop the pan and crust into the oven for a few minutes to firm this up.

Then I just beat up a bunch of eggs including the extra yolk and a splash of cream (ricotta cheese or cream cheese also work well) and mix in whatever is left in the fridge, like a few mushrooms, green onions, sausage, broccoli, etc.

Pour the whole mix into the pan and bake until a knife put in the middle comes out clean.

Paleobird Guest
    That sounds like one of my favorite salads turned into a quiche.

And Hawk and his girlfriend are just too precious.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think it got better in some ways, and worse in others. She always suffered from constipation, and that got a bit worse when we transitioned over. She's been trying pribiotics recently to try and get a good gut culture, although that just got totally wrecked by her 'catching' appendicitis. The hospital put her on anti-biotics (which nuked her gut bacteria) and sent her home without operating, since that seemed like a better option than keyhole surgery to remove the appendix.

Agree on the belly fat. It's like going primal is just a vast front for Wheat-belly.

Although going primal I'm now more aware of when I am hungry and when I am not (I can't believe that I lived as long as I have without ever knowing what being hungry was). Being able to live off fats means we can fast more without being forced to eat every four hours.

Edit: Not directed at me, but do you need a quiche base? Just mix some half-cooked veges with cooked meat in a dish, then tip eggs over the top and bake in the oven. What did I miss?
    Anti-biotics can definitely do a number on your gut flora. I've recently started drinking "Cultured Coconut Milk" that I found at Sprouts. It has all the good pro-biotics of yoghurt or kefir but with a lot less carbs and calories. While I know that the MCT oil in coconut is supposed to be beneficial, it can sometimes cause intestinal distress (as in the trots) if someone is sensitive to it or it is overdone, or someone like your wife who has gut issues. I have found that this "cultured" form doesn't have any bad side effects on me. And it's quite tasty too, with the consistency of kefir. OK, it has a teensy bit of tapioca dextrose in it. So not perfect but an option.

yes, it was one of my favorite salads, too. So i added egg and cream and butter. what could go wrong? But as a quiche, it was even better than as a salad. EVEN BETTER. amazing. I think I'll make a quiche every week now. They take no time at all. Why was i NOT doing that?

They do crack me up, it's completely insane.