Page 278 of 306 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 278

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    sounds like a yummy curry.

winter is setting in here, and we even had snow on the far ridge! so beautiful! i'm switching us over to the seasonal/warm salads now. we do the usual with our meats (roasted chicken, pan-fried fish, pan fried beef various ways, sometimes stew, etc). but the veggies have gotten pricey, so we flip over to winter veg to save money and that means warm salads.

i just saw my son hike up his pants the same way my dad does. hilarious.

Paleobird Guest
    It's sundress weather here but I think curry is good any time of year. And I should make duck more often. That was good.

We don't really have much seasonal variation in the produce here. Everything is available all the time. So I just pick the ones I like.

After reading Dr Ede's blog , I realized that the "veggies" I like are not really veggies at all. Most of them are technically fruit such as avocado, coconut, bell peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes. Plus sea veggies which are really algae and mushrooms which are fungi.

that's interesting. . . those are tops on my list and i love fruit too (oranges, apples, pears, grapes, etc -- just fruit. i could be a fruitarian if it were healthy!).

i like curry all year round, too -- i just love spicy food. but moving to the warm salads and soups indicates winter to me.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I always get enthusiastic with my duck.
    I have to be careful to maintain some decorum if I'm in a restaurant and order it...

Though when husband and I were staying in Miami once we tripped over to a place in little Havana and I found goat on the menu.
    It wasn't a very upscale place, and not too crowded, so I got a little bold and was picking up the bones to suck the marrow out right at the table. And the owner appreciated it so much that he came and sat with us and we made friends.
    First he was shocked that an "american" (meaning white girl I assume) ordered the goat, then he was impressed that I actually really ATE it like I meant it.
    We went back to that restaurant several times while we stayed there and were treated like family the whole time. No waiting for a table... drinks on the house. The owner and his family would come chat with us. They were great people.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

i love those kinds of connections on the road. it's such a beautiful experience. a spice of life. trail magic.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    After reading Dr Ede's blog , I realized that the "veggies" I like are not really veggies at all. Most of them are technically fruit such as avocado, coconut, bell peppers, cucumber, and tomatoes. Plus sea veggies which are really algae and mushrooms which are fungi.
    Technically the part of the coconut that we eat is the endosperm, so you are actually eating the seed of a coconut. The fruit is everything outside of the shell, which isn't very edible. However, I believe that coconuts and macadamias tend to be less harsh than other seeds because they (a) are tropical or sub tropical plants that do not need a chemical dormancy to ensure they germinate at the right time and (b) have physical protection for the seeds that minimizes the threat of predation.

Also, something that might interest you, fungi are more closely related to animals than plants.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Also, something that might interest you, fungi are more closely related to animals than plants.
    That doesn't surprise me really, my second husband was thought by many to be a funguy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    that's interesting. . . those are tops on my list and i love fruit too (oranges, apples, pears, grapes, etc -- just fruit. i could be a fruitarian if it were healthy!).
    Now when Derp keeps telling me to eat more fruit I can point to all the ones I already eat.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I always get enthusiastic with my duck.
    I have to be careful to maintain some decorum if I'm in a restaurant and order it...

First he was shocked that an "american" (meaning white girl I assume) ordered the goat, then he was impressed that I actually really ATE it like I meant it.
    I was up to my elbows in it last night, literally. And you should always eat it like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i love those kinds of connections on the road. it's such a beautiful experience. a spice of life. trail magic.
    Indeed. I have found many wonderful people that way along the road. I'm getting antsy to get out and do another road trip. Just waiting for the check from my house to hit the bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Technically the part of the coconut that we eat is the endosperm, so you are actually eating the seed of a coconut. The fruit is everything outside of the shell, which isn't very edible. However, I believe that coconuts and macadamias tend to be less harsh than other seeds because they (a) are tropical or sub tropical plants that do not need a chemical dormancy to ensure they germinate at the right time and (b) have physical protection for the seeds that minimizes the threat of predation.

I did not know that about coconuts but I did know that about fungi. I have been eating lots of mushrooms lately. A bunch of mushrooms stewed just seem to make any meat meatier.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That doesn't surprise me really, my second husband was thought by many to be a funguy.
    Groooooaaaaan.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    He must have grown on you.....

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    He must have grown on you.....
    Okay, that was a real groaner for sure.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.