Page 271 of 306 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 271

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ah, yes, crema Mexicana does have a bit of a buttermilk tang to it.

All hail, Cori, The Fermentation Queen!

One of these days I'm going to work up the nerve to do this.
    Do it.
    You cannot fail a meso. Seriously.
    If your starter culture and milk or cream that you want to innuculate are both cold... mix them, lid loosely to keep bugs/dirt out, and let it sit on the counter for up to 24 hours.
    Check with a clean spoon a few times starting at about 12-18 hours to see if the flavor is where you like it.
    Bingo.
    New food!
    It's really just that easy.

The next step is I convince you to ferment yourself some spicy garlic cloves.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The next step is I convince you to ferment yourself some spicy garlic cloves.
    Oh, god, no. The last time I smelled fermenting garlic was when Betorq was here. That was rank! And I really like garlic. He had stuff in jars bubbling and burbling all over my house.

Wonder what ever became of him. Last I heard he was in Hawaii.

LOL... it does get a little ripe for a few days, but then it's delicious!
    Same for pickled onions.

Maybe something kinder and gentler... water kefir?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Maybe something kinder and gentler... water kefir?
    I've never heard of this.... not doubting you, just never heard of it.... interesting... Is it similar to milk kefir?

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I've never heard of this.... not doubting you, just never heard of it.... interesting... Is it similar to milk kefir?
    Yes, in that it's made with grains much like those used to make dairy kefir.
    Just a water/sugar base... lots of fruit options for flavor. And you can do a second ferment on it in a grolsch bottle for fizzy.

It's kind of like 'healthy' bacteria laden soda pop... only not so sweet, and a bit tart.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, in that it's made with grains much like those used to make dairy kefir.
    Just a water/sugar base... lots of fruit options for flavor. And you can do a second ferment on it in a grolsch bottle for fizzy.

It's kind of like 'healthy' bacteria laden soda pop... only not so sweet, and a bit tart.
    hmm.... too bad I gave all of my grolsch style bottles to my son....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    hmm.... too bad I gave all of my grolsch style bottles to my son....
    Steal some back...
    Play with bugs!

Did I mention that it's very slightly alcoholic. You know, like an old fashioned brewed ginger ale or such.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Steal some back...
    Play with bugs!

Did I mention that it's very slightly alcoholic. You know, like an old fashioned brewed ginger ale or such.
    I figured that it would.... since sugar in beverages with "yeast" in an anaerobic environment= ethanol production.....

Paleobird Guest
    I wonder if you could make water kefir with tea. Kind of like kombucha but without having to mess with a whole crock and scoby.

I've heard some home brewed kombuchas would not pass the limitations on what can be sold as a "non-alcoholic" beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I wonder if you could make water kefir with tea. Kind of like kombucha but without having to mess with a whole crock and scoby.

I've heard some home brewed kombuchas would not pass the limitations on what can be sold as a "non-alcoholic" beverage.
    I do some water kefir with herbal infusions like mint, and I do ginger... soo... maybe.
    I'll give that a gander.

*edit: I dug. Yes indeed, you can make water kefir tea.
    You simply make plain water kefir, remove the grains, then cold steep 1-2 tbsp of the tea of your choice into 1.5 pints of the kefir water.
    (OR, you can make a strongish, but not bitter, and cooled tea brew. Mix it 50/50 with your finished, grains removed, kefir water and let that get friendly for 6+ hours before moving it to the next step.)

For a 16 oz Grolsch bottle a tsp or two of sugar water should be added for the second ferment and maybe tbsp of lemon juice should be added for the second ferment.
    I suppose you'd have to play with the sugar and lemon levels in this to adjust to you own liking. I'm assuming this is like a sweetish lemony slightly fizzy iced tea... ?
    I think that has some promise though!

I know that minty, vanilla, lemon fizz is fabulous.

Evidently it's not a good idea to put teas, herbs, and such directly in with the kefir grains since they have properties that the grains don't like... tannins, oils, chemicals, etc.
    But it's fine to use during the second step which is the normal time for flavoring anyway.
    I'm glad I looked that up... I've gotten away with brewing with an infusion in the first step sometimes, but I'm going to stop doing that. I did't do it repetitively enough to make a big difference I think. Bit still.
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche