Page 270 of 306 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 270

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    Sour cream
    OK. I guess it is cultured cream. Interesting.

So far today I've had my pints and noshed on a few cocoa butter chips for the fat content. Those are yummy. I keep meaning to make chocolate with them and eating them plain instead.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If I do this again I would want to give it a try with all goat products.
    I looked up the macros of goat vs cow milk one day, and they didn't differ that much. I didn't however compare micros or do any research on why goat milk is easier on the human body. I do know that with the exception of yogurt (both taste about the same to me), products made from goat milk just taste better. Goat milk fresh cheese with lox is far superior to lox 'n' cream cheese.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Goat milk is more easily digested than cow's milk, also.

Benefits of Goat Milk, Goat Milk Vs Cow Milk
    Last edited by honeybuns; 05-20-2013 at 05:48 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Goat milk is more easily digested than cow's milk, also.

Benefits of Goat Milk, Goat Milk Vs Cow Milk
    Thank you. Summed it all up very nicely and understandably.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    I definitely agree that goat milk is better. That is a good summary link. Thanks, honeybuns.

OK, final post mortem on The Great Milk Experiment:

Eff this noise! I'm taking my toys and going back to ketoland.

Lost 10 lbs in 5 days (two of which were bloat from dinner out) regained, 8 overnight, lost one again, now back up 3 to exactly where I started after one week.

I think there is just too much sugar involved in this plan. The calories are very limited which may have been responsible for the initial burn off but now I think my ketosis is lagging and I just feel generally puffy. Systemic inflammation is not good.

Or perhaps the sugar had a temporary "carb refeed" effect for a few days but then became the norm again. Note to self to try occasional carbing up with milk for a day or two as opposed to mono milk for a week.

In any case, this one is getting consigned to the scrapheap of interesting ideas that were worth an experiment but didn't work out IRL.

Paleobird Guest
    I was having massive cravings for seafood today so I took a drive to my favorite Asian supermarket and got some sashimi and salmon roe which was just dinner.

The ultimate test of chop stick dexterity is being able to pick up one singe salmon roe egg without squishing it or dropping it.

My body was just saying, "enough with the milk already."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Not sure. Cori? Oh wise one, where art thou?

"Cultured cream" somehow sounds more cultured than "sour cream".
    Well... sour cream is one type of cultured cream.
    But it's far from the only type.
    And other types such as Mexican Crema and Creme Bulgare have far richer flavors IMO.
    It has to do with the types of bugs that do the culturing.
    Kefir cultured sour cream/creme fraiche is very nice as well. Better in flavor than sour cream also IMO.
    But they each have their own flavor and place in the cultured world.

Also, while sour cream is made from cultured cream it is generally pasteurized AFTER culturing. Good luck finding a sour cream with active cultures.
    If you whip up some kefir cream at home... delicious nutritious cultures!!!
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-20-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Well... sour cream is one type of cultured cream.
    But it's far from the only type.
    And other types such as Mexican Crema and Creme Bulgare have far richer flavors IMO.
    It has to do with the types of bugs that do the culturing.
    Kefir cultured sour cream/creme fraiche is very nice as well. Better in flavor than sour cream also IMO.
    But they each have their own flavor and place in the cultured world.

Also, while sour cream is made from cultured cream it is generally pasteurized AFTER culturing. Good luck finding a sour cream with active cultures.
    If you whip up some kefir cream at home... delicious nutritious cultures!!!
    Ah ha! The full story emerges.

So, what cultures would I need to make crema Mexicana. I love that stuff. I can just eat that right out of the jar. And do.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My advice is to go with kefir cream since it is mesophillic for a batch and see how you like that.
    Mesos are the EASIEST cultures to manage... just room temp. No temps to manage. No fails!

It's super easy. Add kefir grains to cream, a tbsp of grains per cup of room temp(75-80*) cream, lid and let sit at room temp 12-18 hours.
    The grains will rise to the top... pick them out.
    Refrigerate. The creme will thicken more.
    (Or 1/4 cup of already made kefir per quart of room temp cream for about 24 hours. Yep, you can use your store bought kefir and some store bought organic cream for this. If you are going to use raw cream, I would probably heat it for this one... that's a lot of competing bugs and yeasts. I haven't tried raw cream kefir on my own yet. )

You can also beat it into cultured butter...
    Cake and Commerce: Heavy cream + kefir = Cultured Butter (or, how you, too, can make kickass butter at home)

To get actual Crema Mexicana I believe you would need buttermilk with active cultures, also mesophillic, 2c HWC to about 1/4 buttermilk, jar and lid loosely, let sit at room temp 12-24 hours. The time is the thing... time will determine the amount of "sour". So some testing may be necessary depending on if you want a milder or more tangy crema.
    This would be the appropriate starter to order...
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/but...starter-1.html
    I'm not quite sure I would rely too heavily on a store bought buttermilk. But it might work. Just make sure it says "active cultures". Like sour creams buttermilks tend to be pasteurized after culturing as well.
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-20-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Ah, yes, crema Mexicana does have a bit of a buttermilk tang to it.

All hail, Cori, The Fermentation Queen!

One of these days I'm going to work up the nerve to do this.