Page 255 of 306 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 255

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You're illiterate. We get it.

Just stopped in to say hi and got a good chuckle, also. Don'tcha love when that happens?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Derpums, please don't think that. Another piece of wisdom from your elders <ahem> : Each year goes by faster and faster. At your age it seems like a decade is going to take forever to go by. The difference between 40 and 50 feels like it took about a year. It's strange, the older you get, it feels like there is not that much time left.

I agree with not worrying too much. That would be a waste of time. But trashing your lungs now is going to make later years a bitch to live through. Play with your mind expanding substances if you want but at least consider cutting out the cigs. Besides, they are the opposite of sexy.
    I can relate to that, oddly I'm feeling the same way as you are now. Between 18 and now was so fast it left me thinking "where did all that time go"? I think, for me, it's because I feel like I haven't accomplished much at all. My life seems to be all about trying to kill time with various hobbies to fill the emptiness that would otherwise be there. I can't help but feel a mind rot, sort of, when I'm wasting all this time doing something that a trained chimpanzee could do. I don't take pride in anything I do, never have had that feeling like "wow, I put in a lot of work and it paid off, look what I accomplished". I breezed through everything up until now with little difficulty or hurdles at all, always have had good health, no broken bones, or any sort of handicap. Maybe I'm subconsciously thinking of ways to make things more difficult for me. Boredom is the worst feeling ever.

As for the cigarettes, I have my reasons for those, but to those who feel otherwise, they come off as a justification, but just for the sake of it a few studies:

(Cigarettes stimulate the thyroid)
    Effects of smoking on thyroid function

(Smoking reduces serotonin)
    Smoking-associated changes in the ... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1990] - PubMed - NCBI

(Tobacco upregulates youth hormones and reduces the decline with age)
    Relation of age and smoking to serum levels of total testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate in aged men - Mizushima - 2006 - Geriatrics & Gerontology International - Wiley Online Library

and various other things. I feel like cigarettes have gotten a very unfair and biased treatment from big phrama, but it's difficult to explain this to other people who believe strongly another way. especially if they may have had a family member suffer from something related to smoking, or seemingly. I appreciate your concern, I won't be stupid, I feel that after a while I will have a tolerance built up against tobacco and the effects won't be as pronounced anymore, so I'll taper off them after that. Either way, I believe a deficiency in b vitamins and possibly the iron in certain supermarket cigs contribute to a large portion of the problem.

And, smoking is undeniably cool.

Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Just stopped in to say hi and got a good chuckle, also. Don'tcha love when that happens?
    Happy to oblige. I love your little mobile emoticons.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I can relate to that, oddly I'm feeling the same way as you are now. Between 18 and now was so fast it left me thinking "where did all that time go"?

As for the cigarettes, I have my reasons for those, but to those who feel otherwise, they come off as a justification....

it's difficult to explain this to other people who believe strongly another way. especially if they may have had a family member suffer from something related to smoking.
    And, smoking is undeniably cool.
    The years only speed up more as you add more to the past.
    Yes, that does come off as justification, and a pretty desperate attempt at that.
    I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer when I was a kid. It was not pretty or cool in any way.
    James Dean is only cool because he didn't live long enough to get wrinkly and coughing like he was going to hack up a lung. Also, what's cool in a picture is not the same as what is sexy IRL. Smoking stinks. Smokers stink. And kissing one is like licking out an ashtray. Blech.

jacmac is online now Senior Member
    You're illiterate. We get it.
    hahaha Gotta love a quick wit.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i have to say that since having the kiddo, the years *fly* by. My friend told me "days are long, but years are short" with children. It's *so* true.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Joanie's theory as to why life flies by as we get older. When you are one year old, a year is 100% of your entire life span. When you are five, it seems like it will be forever 'til your next birthday because a year is still one-fifth of your entire life span. At 20 years old a year is 5%, etc. By the time you're 50, a year is only 2% of your life span and seems to fly by.

Or as Einstein might have said, "It's all relative."
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Happy to oblige. I love your little mobile emoticons.

The years only speed up more as you add more to the past.
    Yes, that does come off as justification, and a pretty desperate attempt at that.
    I watched my grandmother die of lung cancer when I was a kid. It was not pretty or cool in any way.
    James Dean is only cool because he didn't live long enough to get wrinkly and coughing like he was going to hack up a lung. Also, what's cool in a picture is not the same as what is sexy IRL. Smoking stinks. Smokers stink. And kissing one is like licking out an ashtray. Blech.
    That's my plan too, to not live long enough to see my functions wither away. We will see. And, I love the smell of smoke on clothes and such, it doesn't gross me out at all.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    hahaha Gotta love a quick wit.
    <bows humbly>
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i have to say that since having the kiddo, the years *fly* by. My friend told me "days are long, but years are short" with children. It's *so* true.
    I don't even have kids. They are still flying.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Joanie's theory as to why life flies by as we get older. When you are one year old, a year is 100% of your entire life span. When you are five, it seems like it will be forever 'til your next birthday because a year is still one-fifth of your entire life span. At 20 years old a year is 5%, etc. By the time you're 50, a year is only 2% of your life span and seems to fly by.
    Or as Einstein might have said, "It's all relative."
    That makes incredible amounts of sense. It also gives you a great excuse to start forgetting things as you get older. I have 50 years worth of stuff in my cranial database, is it any wonder that it takes me a moment to access all of it?
    That's my plan too, to not live long enough to see my functions wither away. We will see. And, I love the smell of smoke on clothes and such, it doesn't gross me out at all.
    "Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse." Right, Derp? smh at the silliness of youth.

When you take care of your body, your functions don't wither away at all. You can be still kicking it at the ripe old ages that Joanie and I have reached. But, if you trash your body, there is no "do-over". You are stuck being miserable in middle to older age.

And you may think smoke smells good on clothes and in your hair and you may occasionally find a girl who doesn't mind either (probably an unhealthy smoker herself) but you are cutting yourself off from all the women (I would say the vast majority) who consider smoking to be a deal breaker as far as dating.

Haha, women are the very last thing I'm concerned about

Paleobird Guest
    Haha, women are the very last thing I'm concerned about
    Are you saying you've joined a monastery or that you just have so many women throwing their panties at you that don't know what to do with all of them?