Page 233 of 306 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 233

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    *Pout*

Do I earn any points for having eaten crocodile and possum?
    I thought that just means you're Cajun...
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    LOL!

Sigi, how do you get the stink out of possum? I've been up close and personal to one, and adorable as it was, there was a musky smell to it that I've always wondered about in relation to food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    LOL!

Sigi, how do you get the stink out of possum? I've been up close and personal to one, and adorable as it was, there was a musky smell to it that I've always wondered about in relation to food.
    Umm... I'd say that many, even most, animals that have never had a bath in their entire lives have a bit of a smell if you know what I mean.
    Once you pull the dirty skin off all is well.
    Have you ever smelled a freshly killed, unskinned buck that was taken in the fall season during rut? OMG. Gag!!!
    And honestly, lambs, at 9 months old in wool smell awful IMO. Lanolin in the wool that has been rained on out in the weather, not so clean rear ends, gah. It's a powerful beastly smell! But still a delicious animal.

Opossum tastes quite nice IMO.
    If prepared well, and cut into chunks, say in a stir fry like cashew chicken (or any other darker sauced one that calls for chicken thigh meat) you might just be completely fooled.

It does indeed have a quite similar flavor and texture to that of dark meat chicken.

Opossum doesn't even have the musk glands that you have to be careful of on some other animals, such as beaver (which taste more like beef). You MUST carefully cut around or avoid those glands when skinning/cleaning the carcass. Seriously.
    (Well, the opossum does, but they are anal glands so you are probably going to carefully trim that area away anyway, you know. LOL )

Same with deer. You must be careful to remove or avoid the musk glands when cleaning. Most people don't remove them, they just avoid that section of the legs completely on the deer and discard it because it is too tricky to remove without spreading the taint to other flesh. The same for the head. It has musk glands and is therefore not used for food.

I'm from the South, and was poor... there are not many things I have not eaten that can't be farmed, hunted, or foraged in the region.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I've got a brother-in-law whose whole family are pretty avid hunters and farmers, here in Connecticut. I have had all sorts of critter-dinners in my life, thanks to them. Rabbit, squirrel, possum, venison, and raccoon all come to mind, along with all types of water-fowl. I liked it all.

One of my first serious girlfriends was mortified when she came to dinner and they were serving raccoon, and it was roasted whole, like a goose. But to all the world it looked like a roasted dog! She turned white as a sheet. She married me anyway. But it didn't last.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Ahhh, yes.

For the noobs critters are best served as "small bites", not whole roasted.
    Then they've eaten who knows what, and ENJOYED it, before they even know it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    It is available in Woolworths but I have never eaten it either, just does not seem right to eat what''s on the national emblem
    I think that may be part of why the US rejected the turkey as ours.
    That and bald eagles don't have much meat on their bones anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Do I earn any points for having eaten crocodile and possum?
    Yes, Crocodile Dundee would be proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Adorable? Ew. I think possums look like some strange alien creatures. I would have to be really hungry to even try eating one of those.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Once you pull the dirty skin off all is well.

Opossum tastes quite nice IMO.
    If prepared well, and cut into chunks, say in a stir fry like cashew chicken (or any other darker sauced one that calls for chicken thigh meat) you might just be completely fooled.

It does indeed have a quite similar flavor and texture to that of dark meat chicken.

Opossum doesn't even have the musk glands that you have to be careful of on some other animals, such as beaver (which taste more like beef). You MUST carefully cut around or avoid those glands when skinning/cleaning the carcass. Seriously.
    (Well, the opossum does, but they are anal glands so you are probably going to carefully trim that area away anyway, you know. LOL )

Same with deer. You must be careful to remove or avoid the musk glands when cleaning. Most people don't remove them, they just avoid that section of the legs completely on the deer and discard it because it is too tricky to remove without spreading the taint to other flesh. The same for the head. It has musk glands and is therefore not used for food.

I'm from the South, and was poor... there are not many things I have not eaten that can't be farmed, hunted, or foraged in the region.
    OK, I would eat all of those things but only if you cook it for me. I wouldn't know a musk gland from an adrenal gland, city girl that I am.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    I've got a brother-in-law whose whole family are pretty avid hunters and farmers, here in Connecticut. I have had all sorts of critter-dinners in my life, thanks to them. Rabbit, squirrel, possum, venison, and raccoon all come to mind, along with all types of water-fowl. I liked it all.

One of my first serious girlfriends was mortified when she came to dinner and they were serving raccoon, and it was roasted whole, like a goose. But to all the world it looked like a roasted dog! She turned white as a sheet. She married me anyway. But it didn't last.
    That would be kind of weird. Now raccoons are cute little critters. Possums are just but ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    For the noobs critters are best served as "small bites", not whole roasted.
    Then they've eaten who knows what, and ENJOYED it, before they even know it!
    That sounds better.

Adorable!

It's just that they are usually not seen at their best. It's generally in their "I'm so scared I'm about to shat myself and I really just want to run and hide but mother nature has defaulted me to freeze with an ugly face" mode. Poor dears.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info cori. I've eaten gator and squirrel, (and venison and elk) but I've never been there for the kill. I used tend to the cage of a possum who became the clinic pet after almost getting hit by a car - in SF no less. I had to wear the lead lined x-ray gloves because of its claws, but I loved that stinky sucker.

Oh, and the photo? O M G - I need a hug. heh.

Good morning, Paleobird. Good to see you this fine Sunday. It's so beautiful here today that it's putting me in the mood to go buy some gin and a cucumber for cucumber "martinis." But laying about on Sunday is also fine. I'm on the fence.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.