Page 228 of 306 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 228

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think it really would be easier in a serious emergency to be self sufficient living out in the sticks as opposed to a metro area. Out there you could go hunting or fishing if you needed to plus get fruits/plants for the picking and you are much more likely to have a potable water supply even if it's a stream or melting some snow.

When the power goes out here in what would be a dessert without water being pumped in from the Colorado river and the NorCal delta, the water pumps shut down and we are stuck. Water is really the limiting factor.
    Paleobird, I was thinking of this, and I think you ought to lay up a few of those 5-gal water-cooler bottles for emergencies. Whatever you might think of the Latter-day Saints, they are spot-on in saying everybody really should have at least a minor emergency store. And with SoCal being waterless, you should start there. Don't store the 1-gal jugs from the grocery - they leak after a short while. And calculate Wolf Cub, too.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

IronGirl is offline Member
    I'm sorry to hear about the power outages--so inconvenient!

Thanks for the advice on the two meals a day, I'm trying it for the first time today and I'm sure I'll journal about how it goes.

Have a great day, I hope circumstances improve out there!
    I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
    50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Every fall we get ready for storms by making sure we have bottled water, fuel for the generator, foodstuffs, etc JUST IN CASE. If we don't use it, fine, but if we need it we are ready.

Eating once or twice a day is so much easier than constantly thinking about what to nibble on every couple of hours, or even where to stop for lunch.

Sorry for kidnapping your journal, PB.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Paleobird, I was thinking of this, and I think you ought to lay up a few of those 5-gal water-cooler bottles for emergencies.
    Oh, yes, I always have kept a stash of water. I also have a big water container (7 gallon I think) that has a reverse osmosis filter in the spout so I can make any water potable and a supply of camping iodine tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGirl View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the two meals a day, I'm trying it for the first time today and I'm sure I'll journal about how it goes.
    Good. It really helped me. I hope it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Every fall we get ready for storms by making sure we have bottled water, fuel for the generator, foodstuffs, etc JUST IN CASE. If we don't use it, fine, but if we need it we are ready.

Eating once or twice a day is so much easier than constantly thinking about what to nibble on every couple of hours, or even where to stop for lunch.
    I know you didn't mean it this way but I was just thinking that eating less often would also make it easier to get through a disaster situation. You could have a can of sardines and a chunk of cheese or some pemmican and be good to go for a whole day. I always keep a stash of USWellness Meats pemmican around. The ultimate survival food.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I know you didn't mean it this way but I was just thinking that eating less often would also make it easier to get through a disaster situation. You could have a can of sardines and a chunk of cheese or some pemmican and be good to go for a whole day. I always keep a stash of USWellness Meats pemmican around. The ultimate survival food.
    Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way. You are totally right! Smart woman. Have you ever watched people stock up at a grocery store before a big storm? Toilet paper, cold cereal, pop and potato chips. Really.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way. You are totally right! Smart woman. Have you ever watched people stock up at a grocery store before a big storm? Toilet paper, cold cereal, pop and potato chips. Really.
    I normally see the "french toast" runs. Bread, eggs, and milk.

We're in Texas. What are they going to do with the milk if the electricity goes out?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Another thing I always keep a supply of is vinegar. If the power is out long enough that things start defrosting from the freezer, I can start slicing meat and making biltong the S. African way with the vinegar cure then sun dried. It would be a shame for all that lovely grass fed meat to go to waste.

In other news.......I went to the title company today and got all the relevant documents for the house sale signed, notarized, and made official. They needed to see a copy of my trust, my driver's license, etc. Basically I had to prove to them that I am who I say I am and that I actually do own said property.

That's one more thing to check off the list. Things are moving forward. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for my buyers to sell their home. Their listing officially hits the market Monday. With interest rates still so low but the economy starting to pick up, people are jumping at available properties. The way I have heard it from several real estate people is that there just isn't much "inventory" on the market so people are grabbing at whatever come available. I don't think they will have much trouble selling their place. It is right near the beach. The only reason they like mine better is because it would give their large family more space.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty pathetic as to emergency preparedness, I have to admit. When Isaac was coming ashore, I did fill up a lot of vessels with about three days worth of water and the car was ready to depart, but unless I have warning, I'd have to rely on the kindness of strangers (IOW I'm shit outta luck). When Isaac did come ashore, all the neighbors with outdoor grills had them at the ready for those in need. My whole neighborhood lost power for two days (some for almost a week) except for a two block stretch, which I luckily was on. The nine units on Cox were without internet, but the very nice couple who were on AT&T didn't lose their connection and they gave us all their password for wireless, so all was well.

Paleobird, I'm hearing the same thing about real estate right now. I'll probably kick myself later for not jumping into a duplex, but I'm so enjoying the carefree life of a renter. Glad to hear all is going well with you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    The problem about earthquakes (the disaster of choice where I live) is that there is never going to be any warning.

All the real estate people keep trying to talk me into buying a condo instead of renting one but I just don't want the hassle. Plus, by the time you pay HOA dues, property tax, and maintenance costs, you may as well be paying rent.

I am having a party tonight. The monthly Dame Night meeting at my house. Since this will probably be the last party I will ever have here, I am doing it up right.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Way back five years ago when I was in the depths of cancer and all the physical and emotional rot that goes with it, I was really thinking about offing myself.

First of all, this is not normal for me. I do not have a depressive personality or any history of mental illness. This was a logical decision making process that came from not being willing to fight bravely for something that was a lost cause.

I really had to back my oncologist up against a wall verbally and get him to give me a straight answer. Are we talking about "managing" my condition and perhaps "extending" my lifespan a bit with the same inevitable ending or are we talking about *curing* this bugger. Are we talking about having a post-cancer life?

When he told me that yes, while it was not guaranteed, it was entirely possible for this to be a cure with a cancer free future, then I shelved my plans for taking the early exit stage left.

While I had been at that really low point and considering my options however, I had, as I always do, thought things out very carefully. I had researched just how much of my phenobarbitol I would need combined with alcohol to go permanently nite nite.

And not just any alcohol. I figured, if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. I bought a really nice bottle of tequila, the kind you can only find a specialty import store, the ones they keep in the locked cabinet, not out on the shelves.

That bottle of tequila has been sitting there on a shelf for five years.

Having gotten the all clear from my now former oncologist (Yay for no longer having an oncologist!) recently, I felt that it was time to put that bottle to a better use. So I dusted it off and cracked it open for my friends at Game Night Saturday. Oh that was yummy.

Interestingly enough, I didn't get one bit of a hangover, even though I did imbibe quite a bit. I think I may have a reaction to red wine (perhaps the sulphates?) that gives me such a yucky feeling the next day even after one or two glasses, hardly enough for a buzz.