Page 227 of 306 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 227

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    "The Art of Imperfection" is another book worth looking at
    Hi Lj. Welcome to the Birdnest.
    That book sounds interesting. Who is the author on that?

Paleobird Guest
    This is weird. We have just had our third power outage in the past six hours. Just a few minutes each. Unusual for here. The last time SoCal had a power failure it was a really huge one that went on for a day and a half. Episodes like that get you to lay in a supply of flashlights, batteries, candles and matches. And to know where they are and be able to find them in the dark.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Ah, so you have never gotten to enjoy having ten day power outages??
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Ah, so you have never gotten to enjoy having ten day power outages??
    No, that sounds like fun. Yikes. Big cities like mine go a little bit bonkers in situations like that (not sure where you live). If we ever have "the big one" earthquake here (more a matter of when rather than if), we could well be out of power for a week or so. That is a scary prospect.

With just a day or so of no power the last time, all you could hear was the sirens going constantly (traffic accidents due to signals going out plus people on medical equipment needing to get moved to hospitals that have generators.) While the police are busy dealing with all of that, one wonders who is protecting anyone from "smash and grab" type of criminal behavior.

I have thought about investing in a portable solar generator. And, as much as I hate the idea of it, I do own a handgun.

There was yet another short outage last night so I just turned everything off, gave up, and went to bed early.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And, as much as I hate the idea of it, I do own a handgun.
    And here I thought those were illegal in California.

Kalona quit making the 8 oz bottles of heavy cream, but they're now making 16 oz bottles. Haven't gotten any yet, though, and won't in time for my trip this weekend. *pouts*
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    And here I thought those were illegal in California.

Kalona quit making the 8 oz bottles of heavy cream, but they're now making 16 oz bottles. Haven't gotten any yet, though, and won't in time for my trip this weekend. *pouts*
    Nah! You just have to pass a silly little test that a developmentally disabled 6 year old could pass and there is a 10 day waiting period. This gives people a chance to cool off and/or sober up and realize that offing their spouse or alleged best friend caught sleeping with the spouse is probably not a good idea.

I get my hwc from Organic Pastures. Raw dairy IS legal in enlightened California. They can't ship out of state because the feds get twitchy about that.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Ten days during snowstorms once, ten days after 130mph winds the second time. I'm in Western Washington. Short outages are no big deal but those long ones are killer.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    We live in the boondocks in Utah, our power is supplied by "Rocky Mountain Power(less)". We have a generator, and our house is wired so we can switch the power box from Rocky Mountain Powerless to the generator, which will power everything in the house. The longest we've been without power was 8 days one winter. I wanted hubby to plug the Christmas lights into the generator, too, but he thought that would be upsetting to our neighbors...

Paleobird Guest
    I think it really would be easier in a serious emergency to be self sufficient living out in the sticks as opposed to a metro area. Out there you could go hunting or fishing if you needed to plus get fruits/plants for the picking and you are much more likely to have a potable water supply even if it's a stream or melting some snow.

When the power goes out here in what would be a dessert without water being pumped in from the Colorado river and the NorCal delta, the water pumps shut down and we are stuck. Water is really the limiting factor.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    We live in the boondocks in Utah, our power is supplied by "Rocky Mountain Power(less)". We have a generator, and our house is wired so we can switch the power box from Rocky Mountain Powerless to the generator, which will power everything in the house. The longest we've been without power was 8 days one winter. I wanted hubby to plug the Christmas lights into the generator, too, but he thought that would be upsetting to our neighbors...
    We live in the sticks of Appalachian Ohio, and our power goes out a lot. Most folks have an outdoor furnace, wood burner, etc, and are used to nights without power. The Amish around here make a lifestyle of it (we could learn a lot from them in some areas of life). Alas, we have an all-electric house so we bought a whole-house generator and had it professionally wired in at the utility pole down the driveway. Our propane cow has enough gas to power the whole house - furnace, stove, washer-dryer, all of it - for two weeks and more, depending on how wasteful we get. Hubby works from home most of of the time, and we cannot afford to say to his meeting members "sorry, but I can't participate because we lost power AGAIN"...

Our longest was an 8-plus stretch a couple of years ago. The neighbors around here don't mind what you do, because we all live so far apart that we can't, in most cases, physically see each other! Anyway, I have brownie points with the neighbors because I took in their frozen goods during that long powerless stretch as my freezer was still running. They help me out on other ways, like coming over to grade our dirt-and-gravel drive and clear ice and snow with their big 'ole John Deeres.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC