Page 223 of 306 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 223

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I made the yummiest coconut bread today. I rarely bake but I have this container of coconut flour taking up space on the shelf and I'm trying to use stuff up before I move so I said what the heck, if this turns out all wrong I can just toss it.

Most coconut recipes are all about sweetness but I wanted to see if it would adapt to savory as well so I made this one with sun dried tomatoes and kalamata olives.

6 eggs
    3/4 cup C flour
    1 level tbsp baking soda (maybe a little less next time, mine came out a bit salty)
    1/3 cup C oil melted
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    italian herbs

Mix the flour, baking soda, and spices together dry. Then add the beaten eggs, then the oil. Then add chopped up olives and sun dried tomatoes (from a jar packed in olive oil). The batter seemed a little dry so I drizzled in some of the tomato infused olive oil from the jar. You should be able to form it into a loaf with your hands like meatloaf. Bake in a foil lined loaf pan for 45 min @ 350.

I think the kalamata olives I used have a higher salt content than regular olives. Mine came out a tad salty but I think this is why. Otherwise very good. I bet this would be even better with a schmeer of mascarpone <goes to fridge> Oh yeah.

Tonight is my birthday dinner with pescatarian friends (sigh). So, I am making a huge shrimp salad with this bread on the side plus red wine and Italian gelato for dessert. I figure some lettuce now and again won't hurt me. It just seems like a waste of space on the plate.

Paleobird Guest
    OK. This has been a two day bender (Paleobird style). I invented the yummiest drink, EVAHHHH! I had some tart blood orange sorbetto and some leftover red wine and I put them together and made sort of a sangria flavored root beer float. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I also have a friend who had her birthday today so I continued the indulgences at her party tonight complete with homemade brownies and more red wine. I feel naughty. And I like it.

No regrets. I think a once per year bender is a good thing. Back on the Primal path tomorrow.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Ha! If only I could limit my benders to one per year, I'd be golden.

Glad you had a good time! Now if you could kindly courier me a tub of this tart blood orange sorbetto of which you speak...
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Ha! If only I could limit my benders to one per year, I'd be golden.

Glad you had a good time! Now if you could kindly courier me a tub of this tart blood orange sorbetto of which you speak...
    Sorry, the sorbetto is all gone. I deliberately bought just a little container. I think I could have gotten away with just the wine and sorbetto splurge but I probably should have stopped before I got to the brownies. The bloated, gassy, intestinal crampy feelings are ample reminder of why I don't eat grains. I kind of did it as an n=1 experiment to see how the old bod reacted. That crap is poisonous. Plus up 6 lbs over two days. Even if it's "only" water weight, I still don't want it. I feel all puffy.

Paleobird Guest
    I also had kind of a "vegetable re-feed" this past few days due to partying with veg or semi-veg friends where a big salad is the only real food option around. I don't like it. I'm going back to carnivorousness . I just feel like I'm carrying around 10 extra lbs of fermenting fiber and the little critters who live on such fermentation have had a party and started reproducing like microscopic bunnies so now I have to carry all of them around as well. Hitchhiking freeloaders. I want my colon back.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't like it. I'm going back to carnivorousness .
    There's a good Mexican restaurant within walking distance of me that has a Sunday brunch that is all-you-can-eat (and includes mimosas!). I only hit it with some friends about once a month or so, because I assume the oils and everything aren't primal quality, but the people there know that I just load up on meat (and guacamole, and maybe a bit of fruit for dessert). Carnitas, tongue, beef, eggs, barbacoa, etc. The lady who makes the asada/pork/tongue tacos knows to just pile the meat on my plate and skip the tortillas. A little salsa and cilantro and lime and I'm set. And the custom omelete guys make mine in butter instead of whatever oil they usually use.

Anyway, yesterday on my third piled-high plate of meat I thought "PB would approve."

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Funny thing, my hubs asked for more veggies with dinner because I've been eating one portion of either salad, green beans, or brussels. So I oblige him, but I find all I crave is meat. I eat a little veg for the push through effect but I don't crave it.

I am doing rockin' good. Thanks for asking. Defined my passion and mission statement since choosing to let go of control freak mentality. Allow, let go, don't worry, repeat!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    There's a good Mexican restaurant within walking distance of me that has a Sunday brunch that is all-you-can-eat (and includes mimosas!). I only hit it with some friends about once a month or so, because I assume the oils and everything aren't primal quality, but the people there know that I just load up on meat (and guacamole, and maybe a bit of fruit for dessert). Carnitas, tongue, beef, eggs, barbacoa, etc. The lady who makes the asada/pork/tongue tacos knows to just pile the meat on my plate and skip the tortillas. A little salsa and cilantro and lime and I'm set. And the custom omelete guys make mine in butter instead of whatever oil they usually use.

Anyway, yesterday on my third piled-high plate of meat I thought "PB would approve."
    I do indeed approve. And I want a plate of that too. That sounds great. A lot of Mexican places (if you seek out the ones where real Mexican people eat) actually use lard for their cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Funny thing, my hubs asked for more veggies with dinner because I've been eating one portion of either salad, green beans, or brussels. So I oblige him, but I find all I crave is meat. I eat a little veg for the push through effect but I don't crave it.

I am doing rockin' good. Thanks for asking. Defined my passion and mission statement since choosing to let go of control freak mentality. Allow, let go, don't worry, repeat!
    I find the veggies are having the "stop up" effect rather than the "push through". Blergh. When I am fully carnivore with just a few condiment veggies like mushroom sauce, my digestive system is the happiest it has ever been.

I'm glad you are learning to let go of the worry. Raised cortisol can stop weight/health progress faster than a bag of Doritos.

Paleobird Guest
    Well, I think I have finally made up my mind where I want to live. The two story townhouse comes out the winner. I looked at a few other places in the past week but I found out that there was an ordinance passed sometime in the 90s here prohibiting fireplaces in the downtown area. Well, my little spot was built in the 80s and has a real fireplace. The other ones boast "fireplaces" but they are really just a decorative little thing that doesn't even put out any heat. The one at my new place is gas but at least it is really producing heat. I saw two buildings yesterday that were exactly what I had thought I wanted, high rise with all the "amenities" but they just felt cold and disconnected from the earth.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How are things progressing on the sale of your house?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.