Page 218 of 306 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 218

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am impressed. I think - now - I could eat it, if I didn't have to prepare it (I'm still too squeamish about the process, but less so about the final product). My newest adventure is going to be buffalo heart - I'm going to corn it. Thanks for all of your inspiration. Crossing my fingers on your house.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Never really thought about why it was called head cheese before. Sounds simple enough to make but the trick for me would be actually eating it. I'm still so squeamish about so much stuff like that. I really need to get over myself already!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I proclaim you Queen of Primal-Landia for the day! Hell - this might even get you the title for the week.
    And head cheese will be served at my coronation. I have enough of it for all of MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I am impressed. I think - now - I could eat it, if I didn't have to prepare it (I'm still too squeamish about the process, but less so about the final product). My newest adventure is going to be buffalo heart - I'm going to corn it. Thanks for all of your inspiration. Crossing my fingers on your house.
    The final product is just a savory jello. The process is a little gross however. Buffalo heart is great. I never though of corning it. What is your corning recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Never really thought about why it was called head cheese before. Sounds simple enough to make but the trick for me would be actually eating it. I'm still so squeamish about so much stuff like that. I really need to get over myself already!
    Yeah, if you just called it "lamb aspic" it would sound so much more refined. "Head cheese" keeps reminding people of where it came from.

It didn't really set up as firmly as I would have liked. It's like soft hospital jello rather than being sliceable. I think I may put it all back in the pot and add some gelatin.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fingers crossed for you on the home sales front.

I tried head cheese when I first moved to the south. I know it was store bought, and home made must be better. But I'm okay never eating it again. LOL But if I had a lamb head staring me in the face from the fridge, I'd have to make something out of it if only to get the skull with which I'd decorate the living room. I was sad to leave my bones behind when I moved last time.

Just reread your post. Of course the bones break down - that's the whole point. My duh. Still and all, boiling any kind of head would be really cool. I really enjoy when Hodgins boils bodies or gets bugs to eat them, but I love even better when he blows stuff up. *chuckle*
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Fingers crossed for you on the home sales front.

I tried head cheese when I first moved to the south. I know it was store bought, and home made must be better. But I'm okay never eating it again. LOL But if I had a lamb head staring me in the face from the fridge, I'd have to make something out of it if only to get the skull with which I'd decorate the living room. I was sad to leave my bones behind when I moved last time.

Just reread your post. Of course the bones break down - that's the whole point. My duh. Still and all, boiling any kind of head would be really cool. I really enjoy when Hodgins boils bodies or gets bugs to eat them, but I love even better when he blows stuff up. *chuckle*
    Yes, picturing an episode of "bones" from a scientific POV kept the process from being too much of a gross out. I put the whole kit and kaboodle back in a pot and added a bunch of gelatin. I may have overcorrected the other direction. Trial and error.

On the real estate front, they are supposed to be writing up an offer today. Last night the cellist got me a ticket to see one of his chamber music concerts at a local university. Lovely. He is exceptionally talented.

The apartment building called this morning and I am reluctant to sign until I have offer in hand but they are willing to wait a day.

I'm sitting here willing the phone to ring. C'mon ring.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, with the extra gelatin, the new and improved head cheese is now sliceable and very delicious. I guess skull bones just don't have as much gelatin in them and need a little supplementation. Good to know. I slow cooked the skull overnight and half of the next day so I don't think I could have gotten any more out of it. The bones were even getting soft and starting to break down.

ShannonWinchester is offline Junior Member
    Good Morning PB,

I just wanted to say Hi!, I have read this thread from begining to end and I have to say it has been an epic ride so far. I was rooting for your Dad to get better, and cried when I read the posts where he was winding down and finally passed. You are lucky to have had such a fantastic journey with your father. I wish I had known mine and also that was able to actually have a good relationship with my Mom.

I want to thank you for your inspiration. I have had so many challenges recently and reading your posts got me to get back on track. I need to take care of ME!!!! My children are grown and my other half has made his choices (he's currently in kidney failure getting ready to start dialysis, yet continues to choose poor eating habits). I need to listen to my body and learn to be happy.

All that being said. I started back on my journey Sunday night/Monday morning and am happy to report that I have lost 7-8 lb since I weighed in Monday Morning (depends on the scale you see) I weighed in officially at the Drs ofc (I work there) this am and got a lb less than my scale at home.

I did this journey before on Atkins and lost 90 lbs, life got in the way (Hello hysterectomy and Multi-nodular Goiter) and regained most of my weight. I started Monday Morning at 246 (at home) and today am at 238 (at work) and happy as a clam. I hope to hit 150, but honestly when I hit 165 people were hollering at me to stop. Oh I am 5' 5" but a bit bigger boned.

I re-read through Mark's book and have been picking up bits and pieces from this thread.

You are an inspiration. Keep up the fantastic work and may I look as hot as you do at 50 (I'm 46).

Your recipes and pictures have got me inpired. I even got a couple of bones and look forward to some bone broth!

I started a journal here (fat to fantastic) and have joined MyFitnessPal (geekymom32)

Thanks!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Last edited by ShannonWinchester; 03-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Well done, Shannon! Yes, you are only responsible for and accountable to yourself. You make the changes for you. Try to help others come along but, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Even if the horse has kidney failure.
    That is so sad.

On the real estate front there is good news and bad news. The good news is that escrow is officially on again this time with the cellist and his family. The bad news is that the perfect apartment building turned out to not be so perfect after all. They had repeatedly assured me that they would find a parking spot for me where I could plug in my Prius (any old outlet will do, regular 110 house current). No problem. Then I go and sign the lease, give them their money, set up new utility and cable service, set up renter's insurance and THEN the f@@king tell me that it is not possible for me to plug in anywhere in the garage because it would be a liability issue. Somebody might trip over the cord. WTF!!!?????!!!!!!

And, after having repeatedly assured me that the Wolf Cub's status as a medical alert service dog (who alerts me to impending seizures) made him an exception to having to pay an extra pet deposit and extra "pet rent" fee every month, they went and took that back saying that since he is not technically "necessary" for me to live my daily life, he doesn't qualify. F##k that s@@t!!!!
    They just lost $3200/month and a regularly paying tenant who might have stayed for years. I won't do business with people like that.

If either one of these policies were just a policy and I had been informed of it up front, I might think it was not good but I wouldn't be this pissed off. What bugs me is the deception. The leasing guy telling me repeatedly for weeks that these things were not a problem and not to worry. He just wanted to get his commission and hoped I would like the apartment enough to get over it once I found out.

Grrrr.....

So now begins the search for a new den all over again.

This new escrow is contingent on the buyers selling their present home so I have some time but it's just such a hassle.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Darn it.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Darn it.
    I had a little more colorful language in mind but, yeah, that about sums it up.