Page 211 of 306 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 211

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I also kinda cocked my head to the side when I read louisa's post. I was like -- wait, your big weight loss was losing 15 lbs? Really? I found it offensive, and I'm like, you know, at a good weight or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Geez that woman made me angry too. I am still shaking my head about it.
    The funny thing is I usually like her posts. I don't know where all that nastiness came from. Maybe she's been doing crossfit too much lately. That is some fun exercise but the folks who are real "into" it can have a bit of an arrogant edge in my experience.

Anyway, not worth worrying about. The sun is shining, my house is selling and I am feeling right with the world. I found this gorgeous apartment with a HUGE terrace on the 35th floor of a swanky building downtown.

I have a real estate agent trying to talk me into the advantages of buying a condo instead of renting something. She may just be trying to get herself a larger commission. Not sure about that.

By the time you pay HOA dues+property taxes+any maintenance or upgrade costs it is going to be about $1500 a month in the nicer condo buildings. For $3000 a month I can get a really nice apartment. If I invest the proceeds from the house I would be getting about $4000/mo extra in dividends so this would not be impacting my money to live on at all.

Yes, property values may go up and I could get a really good return on my money if I bought, but that is not guaranteed. The economy could implode and I could be left holding the bag.

Also, at some point in the future when I no longer have a Wolf Cub's needs to think of, I would like to really sell everything I own down to what will fit in suitcases and go full on vagabonding around the world. Maybe put a box or two in a friend's garage. If I buy a condo, I would have to deal with the sale process instead of just walking away.

Also, what if I decide I don't really like the whole downtown urban living thing after a while. If I am renting it is easier to change my mind.

Hmmm. Things to think about.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo! I am so happy for your new chapter!

You know, home owning has some advantages. BUT if you aren't sure about it, why not take a year lease and decide from there? Plus renting also has some major perks, esp. in a nice property where they take care of things.

Good luck!!!! How fun and fabulous!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Woohoo! I am so happy for your new chapter!

You know, home owning has some advantages. BUT if you aren't sure about it, why not take a year lease and decide from there? Plus renting also has some major perks, esp. in a nice property where they take care of things.

Good luck!!!! How fun and fabulous!
    This^^ makes a lot of sense. It doesn't have to be either/or. I can have renting as the trying it out phase. Who knows, I may get so sick of the city that I want to buy some land and move out to the country and raise goats and chickens.

Yes the perks are nice in the buildings I'm looking at. Pool, hot tub, full gym, washer/dryer in unit (I hate laundry rooms),really nice kitchen space, building security 24/7, dry cleaning service, and they will even come change a lightbulb for you if one burns out.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is tiring. Not only that, but I have to keep my stuff picked up and put away and the dishes done, etc.
    Eww! LOL

Just remember it will be worth the effort in the end. Hope you get a really good offer very soon.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Eww! LOL
    Just remember it will be worth the effort in the end. Hope you get a really good offer very soon.
    Hi Sigi! You need to catch up. I accepted an offer a couple of days ago and got the top end of my asking range.

It has been a very good week.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Ah. So this appears to be what happens when you read to the end of the *page* and not the *thread*!

Congrats! Doing a happy dance for you. Best wishes for this new chapter of your life.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks Sigi. I'm so happy I can't even get properly annoyed at Chaco today.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Give it time...I'm sure he will say something provoking.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Great on getting the upper end of asking!

I've done the condo thing, and it has a certain appeal in terms of grounds maintenance and community. However, my big bitch with HOAs in the condo setting is that most piss away your money. They don't take the time to shop for good but less expensive services. It's a bit of a Catch22. Those who manage money well can't be bothered to sit on an HOA, and those who sit on an HOA board are doing it for reasons other than providing good service. That's a very broad generalization, and I mean no offense.

I think if I ever own again, it will be a duplex or triplex. Give one unit a break on the rent for doing grounds keeping.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Give it time...I'm sure he will say something provoking.
    Yep. He always does. He's actually kind of cute. Takes himself way too seriously though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Great on getting the upper end of asking!

I've done the condo thing, and it has a certain appeal in terms of grounds maintenance and community. However, my big bitch with HOAs in the condo setting is that most piss away your money. They don't take the time to shop for good but less expensive services. It's a bit of a Catch22. Those who manage money well can't be bothered to sit on an HOA, and those who sit on an HOA board are doing it for reasons other than providing good service. That's a very broad generalization, and I mean no offense.

I think if I ever own again, it will be a duplex or triplex. Give one unit a break on the rent for doing grounds keeping.
    That's a good point Joanie. I've also heard horror stories about HOAs that are always in your business when it comes to what color you can or can't paint your railing but then are totally MIA when something really needs to get done like dealing with termites or mold problems.

I think I'm going to go with Kymma's advice and rent for a year before making any decisions about buying. I did a tour with a real estate broker of the downtown area yesterday. She showed me some nice places but to get the really nice ones, like the penthouse with the big terrace, those are upwards of a million to buy. But I can rent something on the 35th floor of this one building with a HUGE terrace for $3000/mo.

The other consideration is that the downtown area is being built up so fast that if you bought something with a pretty view today, there could be another high rise right in front of your window in a couple of years. That would not be good for a condo holding its value for resale. There were several places we looked where this happened where she said, "Um, I'm kind of legally obligated to tell you that there is going to be a huge hotel right there in your view in 2015."