Page 203 of 306 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 203

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I need to get some bone marrow to try.
    Do I ask my butcher for a specific bone?
    Or just ask for marrow, and they will give me the right stuff?

Paleobird Guest
    Ask specifically for "marrow bones" as opposed to soup bones. These are usually the big leg bones. If you ask nicely, the butcher will slice them into rounds for you so that it will be east to get at the marrow.

The bones I have are only sliced once across so I will have to use a long spoon to get at some of it or smash them with a rock Grok style.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh great, will do that next time I am there.
    Just roast it right?
    I did see a big leg bone in the beef cabinet, they were selling as a dog bone, too big for my little dogs lol

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you know what is really cool about making bone broth? you can grind the bones up and it's much easier on the worm bin.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you know what is really cool about making bone broth? you can grind the bones up and it's much easier on the worm bin.
    Nah! What really cool about making bone broth is the bones get soft enough for the dog to munch through.

The Wolf Cub still can't get his little jaws around the big bones but the neighbors across the street have just gotten a yellow lab who definitely can. It's fun, we have been doing doggie play dates, going for walks with the hounds. The lab is bigger than The Wolf Cub but still a juvenile growing into her paws. The neighbor appreciates that my dog is sort of teaching their dog proper leash behavior (no pulling, waiting before crossing streets). There also had been a little barking back and forth across the street which has stopped since we have gone on walks together. I guess they see each other as packmates now.

One of the things I would miss about living anywhere else is that I have really nice neighbors. There is a feeling of community. The neighbor I walk dogs with is trying to talk me out of selling my house.

Well, it is if you have a dog. We don't, so we need a way to quick compost. basically, if yuo can blend it/grind it, it's easier for the worms to get through (we tested it in our friend's worm bin).

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, between me being mostly carnivorous and having a dog to take care of any scraps/bones, there is not much left around here for the compost heap.

which is good. or you can start humanure composting.

i really do want to move toward zero-waste, but it is hard when people keep just giving you junk. But, we did get DS the next bike he will need and some fishing gear for free, so that's exciting.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    which is good. or you can start humanure composting.

i really do want to move toward zero-waste, but it is hard when people keep just giving you junk. But, we did get DS the next bike he will need and some fishing gear for free, so that's exciting.
    Humanure? Nothankyouverymuch. Some things have improved since Grok's time. One of them is indoor plumbing.

I know what you mean about trying to unload stuff and then people give you more. I'm in the middle of doing another cull of my "stuff".

The Gnoll Credo (Which everyone absolutely MUST read.) has a very good word for useless stuff, "nerga". The Gnoll comments that people are just like magpies. "Build big nests. Fill with shiny junk." I am on a de-nergafication effort.

heh. cute.

yeah, i just love the idea of composting to the extreme. lol