Page 196 of 306 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 196

samknox is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    OK, Ayla, I just failed to heed all my own advice about ignoring Choco and got dragged into a snarkfest with him on Warmbear's thread. It is so hard to resist some times. That child just needs a slap upside the head.
    Just visited the thread in question.

Lordy.

I remember Choco from a carb/thyroid thread. He seems immune to both reason and evidence.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Honey Badger.
    I knew you were staying ketogenic because it works for you even if Choco thinks that is "disordered" eating. I suppose that does end up being half carnivore already by definition. But what I am finding in keto is that I don't miss the veggies a bit. If I never have to eat kale again, it will be too soon. So the transition to carni is just sort of happening gradually as I use up my existing veggies and don't buy more. I'm planning on doing a whole post about it soon. We'll see if that ruffles some feathers.

About your "sugar refeed", did you just do it as an experiment or did you feel that your hormones *needed* shaking up for some reason?
    two main reasons

#1 Cravings. I dont think of myself as having cravings but over the last 3 months i have been jonesing for sugar. While i do not allow my biology to determine my psychology if i can help it, this seemed like a clean message.

#2 Weight gain. I have bumped up about 7 pounds over the same space of time with no alteration of my WOE. This leads me to think that something is a bit off. I do not intend to do another round of HCG until April and i dont want to have a run away weight gain.

those two things made me consider a controlled acute ingestion of sugar. I figured if i were going to do it i may as well do it with something i wanted rather than something more clinical. Doughnuts are a childhood favorite and the cookies were an intuitive get i was at the Russian market for iodine and sprats.

interesting results. i felt a biologic sigh of relief after the doughnuts and while i obviously put on a bunch of water weight ( 10 pounds in 48 hours) i dont see it in my clothes.

2 days later i am down about 6 pounds and my hunger has kicked back in. i had been eating by rote not out of hunger for months. I eat because i dont trust myself to fast beyond the breakfast/dinner span; too many years of enforced fasting and/or self inflicted starvation.

As i learned several years ago, when you treat the body wrongly it has ways of letting you know. { like it's rebellion on long distance walks, after a year of walking 5 miles a day all the sudden i could not make it around the block while i was over 100 pounds lighter, but could work and go shopping just fine. My body knew when i was trying to exercise and would lock up on me... and no amount of pretending i was doing something else mattered..}

So i listen and do the best i can.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 scoops of really premium frozen custard (made with all fresh ingredients in small batches daily, they don't even have the same flavors ever time you go in, except for chocolate and vanilla) at a local place with my husband about once every two weeks.

It's rich and sweet. Made with a ton of real sugar.
    It's an indulgence, and I figure it shakes things up a bit.
    Strange thing... I never seem to gain anything from it.
    As a matter of fact this week I lost a pound the day after eating it. *shrug*

Over all though I'm just happier and more comfortable eating HFLC.
    If I could get my hands on Nora G. I'd hug her so tight!
    I'd do the same to you Robin...

People like Choco really just don't get it because they have no capacity to empathize with people who have needs different that their own.
    Whether that is a neurological need, or a hunger/satiation need to deal with food relationship issues, to help assist weight loss, or hell... if you just FEEL better on this WOE.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-15-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Body Primal Mind has been on my reading list for a long time. I keep wondering if it's worth reading though, or if I've covered pretty much everything so far.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Primal Body Primal Mind has been on my reading list for a long time. I keep wondering if it's worth reading though, or if I've covered pretty much everything so far.
    That reminds me...

Things got forgotten in family crazy times before x-mas.
    Yes, it's 100% worth reading. IMO.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by samknox View Post
    Just visited the thread in question.
    Lordy.
    I remember Choco from a carb/thyroid thread. He seems immune to both reason and evidence.
    The problem is that whatever he is spouting, he does it with an air of authority and even tosses in some completely irrelevant graphs and then says, "So there!"

He has is fixed firmly in his head that LC/VLC diets are *dangerous* and unhealthy both physically and mentally. But yet he continually projects onto his opponents the idea that THEY are the closed minded ones. My rolleyes emoticon gets tired when dealing with him.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    two main reasons

#1 Cravings. I dont think of myself as having cravings but over the last 3 months i have been jonesing for sugar. While i do not allow my biology to determine my psychology if i can help it, this seemed like a clean message.

#2 Weight gain. I have bumped up about 7 pounds over the same space of time with no alteration of my WOE. This leads me to think that something is a bit off. I do not intend to do another round of HCG until April and i dont want to have a run away weight gain.

those two things made me consider a controlled acute ingestion of sugar. I figured if i were going to do it i may as well do it with something i wanted rather than something more clinical. Doughnuts are a childhood favorite and the cookies were an intuitive get i was at the Russian market for iodine and sprats.

interesting results. i felt a biologic sigh of relief after the doughnuts and while i obviously put on a bunch of water weight ( 10 pounds in 48 hours) i dont see it in my clothes.

2 days later i am down about 6 pounds and my hunger has kicked back in. i had been eating by rote not out of hunger for months. I eat because i dont trust myself to fast beyond the breakfast/dinner span; too many years of enforced fasting and/or self inflicted starvation.

As i learned several years ago, when you treat the body wrongly it has ways of letting you know. { like it's rebellion on long distance walks, after a year of walking 5 miles a day all the sudden i could not make it around the block while i was over 100 pounds lighter, but could work and go shopping just fine. My body knew when i was trying to exercise and would lock up on me... and no amount of pretending i was doing something else mattered..}

So i listen and do the best i can.
    That's interesting. It sounds like your hunger signaling mechanism just needed a reboot. Be good to yourself and never forget how awesome you are. If you forget, PM me and I'll be happy to tell you.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I have 2 scoops of really premium frozen custard (made with all fresh ingredients in small batches daily, they don't even have the same flavors ever time you go in, except for chocolate and vanilla) at a local place with my husband about once every two weeks.

It's rich and sweet. Made with a ton of real sugar.
    It's an indulgence, and I figure it shakes things up a bit.
    Strange thing... I never seem to gain anything from it.
    As a matter of fact this week I lost a pound the day after eating it. *shrug*

Over all though I'm just happier and more comfortable eating HFLC.
    If I could get my hands on Nora G. I'd hug her so tight!
    I'd do the same to you Robin...

People like Choco really just don't get it because they have no capacity to empathize with people who have needs different that their own.
    Whether that is a neurological need, or a hunger/satiation need to deal with food relationship issues, to help assist weight loss, or hell... if you just FEEL better on this WOE.
    Ok, Group Hug!!

But seriously that book is well worth a read. She doesn't hem and haw and say different ratios for different folks. She says, this is the way we evolved, like it or not. (And backs that up very convincingly.) If you want the optimum expression of your genes, you go with this program. Yes, we are adaptable enough to survive on just about anything including tree bark but I really think that is what the higher carb folks are doing, finding something that makes them feel good here and now at the expense of their long term health. I would eat this way even if I didn't have epilepsy because I don't want to get Alzheimer's some day.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    With the move toward centrist, equal thirds kind of diets in the paleo world these days, it is good to read something so well written that is unashamedly saying, "carbs were always the plan B food when the hunt didn't go well or the supplemental food for flavor like pick some berries if you find them (but they won't be flown in for you from south america during the winter)."

Nora is a professional in neurofeedback and her interest in diet grew out of trying to help her patients get out of their own way so that they could work on neural ways around whatever troubles them. I find this fascinating, as I'm sure Cori does as well, because she approaches paleo from the neurological POV.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There is a type of boy/man who hasn't gotten the shit kicked out of him yet, neither by someone bigger nor by life. This leads to others' perception of him as being unsympathetic (usually true) and/or just dumb as a box of rocks. Sometimes, if this boy/man comes from the right socio-economic group, he will stay this way - at this point his only joy will most likely come from screwing others and acquiring dollars. Sometimes this type of boy/man looks around at 45 and wonders where it all went wrong. Occasionally, this type of boy/man will have a mind-opening, reality-shattering event take place before it's too late and he will turn into a human being.

Not that I have anyone specific in mind.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    There is a type of boy/man who hasn't gotten the shit kicked out of him yet, neither by someone bigger nor by life. This leads to others' perception of him as being unsympathetic (usually true) and/or just dumb as a box of rocks. Sometimes, if this boy/man comes from the right socio-economic group, he will stay this way - at this point his only joy will most likely come from screwing others and acquiring dollars. Sometimes this type of boy/man looks around at 45 and wonders where it all went wrong. Occasionally, this type of boy/man will have a mind-opening, reality-shattering event take place before it's too late and he will turn into a human being.

Not that I have anyone specific in mind.
    Or else he will just become a politician.