Page 193 of 306 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 193

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There was something that looked like lung tissue and one other mystery organ.
    the other mystery organ you should have taken pics of and posted them? there are books on butchery step by step so there should be web sites which you can prob work it out. i have never heard of the spleen being eaten. mind you, most hunters and people i know who home kill usually just throw all the organs away unless they have dogs which is such a waste. last time i went out, i got a wild hog so we didnt save the organs. i am not so keen on eating pig organs plus i shot it thru the middle. but... i was planning on also getting the lungs if i got a deer. i made some sausages with the ribmeat off the last deer so i was thinking of trying some oatmeal free haggis as it has lungs in. really just make it essentially as sausages with the organs and spices etc. leave out the oatmeal and put it into sausage skins instead of the stomach. if that works out, next time if i am feeling very brave, i will try it with the stomach lol

did you get the tongue?

i think the problem with all this conflicting information is alot of us have gotten to where we are the hard way. i, for example, was vege for way too many years. at the time i really believed i was doing the right thing and it was healthiest for me. it was only when the cracks started to appear and then started to gape that i started wondering. but even then, that took several years. so now i second guess everything. and unless you have obvious 2+2=4 symptoms something is wrong, it is like being a frog in a slow boiling pot. and our weight is usually the achilles heel of most women.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Next time you do that, freeze some of the meat and send it to me. I'll pay you for it. Seriously, the only venison I can find around here comes from New Zealand. Yours would be positively "locally grown" by comparison. Venison also makes really great pemmican.
    Will do; Deer season isn't going to start again where I live til...August or September or whenever. I'm also hoping to get an elk in the next 2 seasons (lottery system here). I'll get it processed and send you a care package. No charge.

Paleobird Guest
    I think I've come to a new cutoff point about how to know when reboiling the bones anymore is not worth it. The bones are spent when the dog is not even interested in them. Sniff. Sniff. Nah! Nothing left there.

I know the mystery organ was not heart, liver or kidney, those I recognize. It was about the color and consistency of kidney but a different shape and it didn't have any of those white stringy things. The dog ate it after the first boiling so I can't take a picture at this point. He thought it was delicious.

To me the whole sugar burning vs fat burning thing just comes down to a test of basic intuitive logic. If Grok and his buddies had needed to stop every three hours to have a sugary snack, humanity would never have survived.

The tongue was included along with a big bulb of meat that looked like it came from the root of the tongue, the mouth floor.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Will do; Deer season isn't going to start again where I live til...August or September or whenever. I'm also hoping to get an elk in the next 2 seasons (lottery system here). I'll get it processed and send you a care package. No charge.
    I insist on at least paying the postage. And I just wrote your book a glowing review on Amazon (seriously).

I know the mystery organ was not heart, liver or kidney, those I recognize. It was about the color and consistency of kidney but a different shape and it didn't have any of those white stringy things. The dog ate it after the first boiling so I can't take a picture at this point. He thought it was delicious
    maybe it was the testicle?!

To me the whole sugar burning vs fat burning thing just comes down to a test of basic intuitive logic. If Grok and his buddies had needed to stop every three hours to have a sugary snack, humanity would never have survived.
    i've been stuck out in the bush for 24 hrs with no food or fire. only a t-shirt, with a tinsy long sleeved polyprop underneath and a pair of jeans. it was the summer but it is not overly warm here even in the summer. i was out with someone who bodybuilds so does the whole eat loads of carbs thing. he was also about 15 yrs younger than me. what i noticed was i was fine. i didnt even get hungry. when we got wet, i wasnt cold. he got noticeable panicky when he got hungry. he did have a couple of sandwiches and a nut bar. each time he ate, he got better for a while. then went back downhill a few hours later. it was interesting indeed. so yeah. i am with you on grok but the usual counter arguement is just coz it was how it was, it didnt mean it was optimal.

what are you gonna do with the tongue?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    maybe it was the testicle?!

i've been stuck out in the bush for 24 hrs with no food or fire. only a t-shirt, with a tinsy long sleeved polyprop underneath and a pair of jeans. it was the summer but it is not overly warm here even in the summer. i was out with someone who bodybuilds so does the whole eat loads of carbs thing. he was also about 15 yrs younger than me. what i noticed was i was fine. i didnt even get hungry. when we got wet, i wasnt cold. he got noticeable panicky when he got hungry. he did have a couple of sandwiches and a nut bar. each time he ate, he got better for a while. then went back downhill a few hours later. it was interesting indeed. so yeah. i am with you on grok but the usual counter arguement is just coz it was how it was, it didnt mean it was optimal.

what are you gonna do with the tongue?
    It could have been a testicle. Maybe it's a good thing I gave it to the dog.

I ususally cook tongue in the crockpot low and slow. any other good ideas?

I have a hiking buddy who is a serious cycling freak who pounds down gatorade and those gawdawful sugary gel blocks. He can bicycle for very long distances but he is alway the first one to give out in either extreme of temperature. I just sit there and watch him while he eats in the middle of the day as he marvels how I can possibly go from breakfast to dinner without eating.

The evolutionary argument is that it is optimal for us now because our genes are almost identical to paleolithic humans and they had 2.5 million years to develop to that point. We have only had 10,000 years to screw up what was working well. The other intuitive logic argument is simple nutrient density. And the nutrient density argument gets even stronger when you realize that the nutrients "on the label" of veggies are not very bio-available to us.

i have these tongue recipes bookmarked to try

The Nasty Bits: Tongue Tied | Serious Eats : Recipes

the next two would need tweaking to ditch the sugar, lentils etc
    Ox tongue, oxtail and pigs' cheek recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian
    How to Prepare and Cook English Umble Pie Using Venison | Suite101

this one here has some good ideas. some of the recipes are ridiculously complicated with no pics so it all get confusing but i use the ideas for herbs etc for inspiration and then cook something i can eat.
    BBC - Food - Offal recipes

what i found with my bush experience was the mental effect of not eating on a sugar burner. it may just have been a personality thing but yeah. it was wild.

Paleobird Guest
    Good tongue ideas. Thanks.

Yes,I have seen the mental transformation of my BFF who has gone Primal. She is an elderly lady who always used to plan everything around when and where there was going to be food and keep snacks in her purse "just in case". Now she can relax and just live. I think it does effect your brain chemistry. A lot of people experimenting with ketosis have reported feeling very focused and calm.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Good tongue ideas. Thanks.

Yes,I have seen the mental transformation of my BFF who has gone Primal. She is an elderly lady who always used to plan everything around when and where there was going to be food and keep snacks in her purse "just in case". Now she can relax and just live. I think it does effect your brain chemistry. A lot of people experimenting with ketosis have reported feeling very focused and calm.
    Yep this is me. I feel like I have just woken up. I am more aware of things going on around me (hard to explain exactly what I mean here), just feel more alive I guess you could say.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yep this is me. I feel like I have just woken up. I am more aware of things going on around me (hard to explain exactly what I mean here), just feel more alive I guess you could say.
    Yep, I know the feeling. Ayla, please don't let Choco's narrow minded posts get under your skin. It's not worth raising your cortisol about. Choco is a young stud who thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything, and, even though he changes his position from time to time, he always states things as THE Absolute Truth.

He has never been anything other than young, male, and in great physical shape. No, he doesn't get it but it may take a few more decades before he does.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-14-2013 at 09:21 AM.