Page 192 of 306 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 192

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Well, at this point it looks like I have perpetual stock X3 big stockpots.

I don't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but there was a piece about making your own bullion. That would be a convenient way too store it all.

Ooooh goodness gracious, Just sipping some of the first of the broth. My god that is RICH. It's like a meal in a cup.
    Bouillon Cubes
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Perfect! Thank you Twibble.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Yeah... the gubmint would have a problem with you making bullion.... as in money.... they have a monopoly on that trade...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Yeah... the gubmint would have a problem with you making bullion.... as in money.... they have a monopoly on that trade...
    Ah! Good typo catch. It's called typing late at night without your reading glasses on.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    This "big city girl" has never had to deal with anything tougher than pulling the plastic wrap off the supermarket package.

Question about bone broth. How long can you simmer beef bones before they are pretty much useless as far as adding anything more to the broth?
    I make batches of bone broth from the same bones. The first is the richest and I use it for soup, etc. After draining off batch #1, refill the pot with cold water and some ACV and let sit a few hours and then simmer again for a day or so. The bones are spent when you can crumble them. In fact, I bet wolf pup would be able to munch them after like 3 batches. I usually just give the broth from the 2nd or 3 batches to the dogs over their dry food (blue buffalo, grain free) and they love it. They love eating the left over bones, but I often given the bones to the chickens to pick now as I don't have to worry about hem choking!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I make batches of bone broth from the same bones. The first is the richest and I use it for soup, etc. After draining off batch #1, refill the pot with cold water and some ACV and let sit a few hours and then simmer again for a day or so. The bones are spent when you can crumble them. In fact, I bet wolf pup would be able to munch them after like 3 batches. I usually just give the broth from the 2nd or 3 batches to the dogs over their dry food (blue buffalo, grain free) and they love it. They love eating the left over bones, but I often given the bones to the chickens to pick now as I don't have to worry about hem choking!
    That's a good indicator. Thanks.

Paleobird Guest
    I got out today with a couple of good friends and the Wolf Cub for a nice long hike. It was one of those clear crisp winter days. Glorious.

Now I'm back home with the stock pots happily burbling again. I've been taking the broth out as it gets to a certain shade and putting it in a separate pot to just boil down and get more concentrated. Then I keep putting more water in with the bones and they are still producing more on the third round. I figure it will be easier to store it in a more concentrated form and easily reconstituted.

Also going to try making some of those bouillon cubes Twibble posted about above. It's basically taking the concentrated cooled gelatinous form of the broth, forming it into cubes by hand and putting them in the dehydrator. It could work. I hope a high fat content will not keep it from dehydrating however because this stuff is really rich

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i usually just simmer my stock pot on very very low covered overnight. then take the lid off and keep it simmering for probably another 12 hrs. i have tried once in a slow cooker but it doesnt seem to get that boil down so it stayed watery when the other half of the bones i was using which i stock potted at the same time didnt. it never occured to me to re-use the bones. are you getting as concentrated broth that gels on the 2nd and 3rd time you use them?

re: carnivory. onto day 6 of a carnivorous week tomorrow. i do the odd week of totally carb free every now and then. just meat, eggs, kai moana and cream in my coffee. it was also one of my 52 different things to do for 2013 and i sorta accidentally eased into doing a carnivorous day and decided to keep going. my protein is way up around the 100g mark. my fat is anywhere between 80 and 100. and usually about zero carbs, unless i have had some shell fish or put some garlic with something. i dont feel any zone of misery or carb flu or exhausted or stressed in any way. i have been exercising and my lifting and recovery hasnt suffered. if anything i feel alot better and more in control mentally as well. what i want to know is if low carb diets raise cortisol. surely people on low carb diets would be fatigued and also quite jumpy and bad tempered. i definitely get like that if i have way too much caffeine which ups my cortisol?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Also going to try making some of those bouillon cubes Twibble posted about above. It's basically taking the concentrated cooled gelatinous form of the broth, forming it into cubes by hand and putting them in the dehydrator. It could work. I hope a high fat content will not keep it from dehydrating however because this stuff is really rich
    I think I'd store them in the freezer until you're going to use them, just to make sure they don't go rancid.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i usually just simmer my stock pot on very very low covered overnight. then take the lid off and keep it simmering for probably another 12 hrs. i have tried once in a slow cooker but it doesnt seem to get that boil down so it stayed watery when the other half of the bones i was using which i stock potted at the same time didnt. it never occured to me to re-use the bones. are you getting as concentrated broth that gels on the 2nd and 3rd time you use them?

re: carnivory. onto day 6 of a carnivorous week tomorrow. i do the odd week of totally carb free every now and then. just meat, eggs, kai moana and cream in my coffee. it was also one of my 52 different things to do for 2013 and i sorta accidentally eased into doing a carnivorous day and decided to keep going. my protein is way up around the 100g mark. my fat is anywhere between 80 and 100. and usually about zero carbs, unless i have had some shell fish or put some garlic with something. i dont feel any zone of misery or carb flu or exhausted or stressed in any way. i have been exercising and my lifting and recovery hasnt suffered. if anything i feel alot better and more in control mentally as well. what i want to know is if low carb diets raise cortisol. surely people on low carb diets would be fatigued and also quite jumpy and bad tempered. i definitely get like that if i have way too much caffeine which ups my cortisol?
    The crock pot worked as well as long as I set it on "High". Then it got the burble going. The second batch of water came out as broth the exact same color. The third batch was a little lighter but still good. I've been taking out a few things that looked "spent" and giving them to the dog who has been very patiently waiting through all these yummy smells. There was something that looked like lung tissue and one other mystery organ. The heart, liver, tongue, and kidneys were all packaged, so maybe this was something like a spleen? Again, the city girl has no clue.

So the the three pots are now consolidated down to one that is still boiling bones and one that is just concentrating the stock. I should be able to put it away by tonight.

About low carb and cortisol. Derpy and other Ray Peat disciples will tell you about how ketosis is sooooooo stressful and shoots your cortisol through the roof. That is only true of a serious sugar fiend who is trying to kick the habit and get into ketosis. A serious sugar junkie starts getting the shakes if they don't feed their habit every three hours. This does not make ketosis stressful, it makes being a sugar burner stressful.

I think that's great that you are giving the carnivorous side a try. I plan to do a thread about carnivorousness sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    I think I'd store them in the freezer until you're going to use them, just to make sure they don't go rancid.
    Yep. Good plan.