Page 191 of 306 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 3060

Thread: Paleobird's Next Big Adventure page 191

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I spent the day yesterday at the zoo with my faithful Primal Wolf Cub. The gorillas and other great apes didn't seem to mind him being there at all but it seriously pissed off the bonobos for some reason. A couple of the adult makes flung themselves at the glass at a full run scaring my dog out of his mind. He was cowering behind my knees.

The huge jaguar (a gorgeous beast) was also pacing back and forth in front of the glass staring directly into the dog's eyes like, "Just let me out of here. That looks like tasty snack".

Today the Wolf Cub and I drove about an hour north of here to Temecula where there is an all grass fed meat seller. It's a place who's primary business is growing and selling fruit so they started keeping a few animals around to eat up the tree trimmings and spoiled fruit and keep the ground cover plant down for fire prevention purposes (plus providing free organic fertilizer.) Then they found there was actually a market for the meat too so that has become a sideline for them.

It's not quite as nicely packaged as I'm used to but the price is much better. They are really not looking to turn a profit on the meat, just cover their costs.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a nice day at the zoo

That meat sounds pretty good too. I love my butcher

Paleobird Guest
    "Don't bother me now. I'm dismembering a cow." That's what I felt like griping at a friend who called this morning while I was elbow deep in gore, bones, ligaments etc. But then people would start to think I had really flipped my lid.

The place we bought the cow share yesterday just sort of put all the "odd bits" into one bag which then was one big frozen lump. I left it out overnight to thaw and started pulling it apart today.

I now have the crockpot plus my two biggest cauldrons simmering with trimming and bone broth which is making the whole house smell awesome. Plus there are a bunch of marrow bones that got put back in the freezer for another day.

Lots of the bones, however were still attached to one another and so, there I was, trying to get in touch with my inner Grokelle as I hacked through ligaments and cartilage to separate them. It gave me an appreciation of how much effort went into not just chasing down and killing a beast, but also processing the darn thing. And Grokelle was doing it with a sharp rock instead of kitchen shears.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    That would have been so interesting, I would def give it a go

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I shot a deer with a crossbow over Christmas and my buddy and I processed the whole thing in around 2 hours. It's a lot of work, but rewarding to go from field to table so quickly. And you get to be really selective about parts, and how you eat it, etc. Also, 10 pounds of deer jerky is awesome.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I shot a deer with a crossbow over Christmas and my buddy and I processed the whole thing in around 2 hours. It's a lot of work, but rewarding to go from field to table so quickly. And you get to be really selective about parts, and how you eat it, etc. Also, 10 pounds of deer jerky is awesome.
    Next time you do that, freeze some of the meat and send it to me. I'll pay you for it. Seriously, the only venison I can find around here comes from New Zealand. Yours would be positively "locally grown" by comparison. Venison also makes really great pemmican.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Lots of the bones, however were still attached to one another and so, there I was, trying to get in touch with my inner Grokelle as I hacked through ligaments and cartilage to separate them. It gave me an appreciation of how much effort went into not just chasing down and killing a beast, but also processing the darn thing. And Grokelle was doing it with a sharp rock instead of kitchen shears.
    This reminds me of cutting up deer
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    This reminds me of cutting up deer
    This "big city girl" has never had to deal with anything tougher than pulling the plastic wrap off the supermarket package.

Question about bone broth. How long can you simmer beef bones before they are pretty much useless as far as adding anything more to the broth?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-11-2013 at 05:22 PM.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I've heard a few days.
    There was a website I saw the other day...

winencandy goes searching - Here's one: perpetual stock

or we have a thread right here in MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49697.html
    Last edited by winencandy; 01-11-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: evidently I can't spell my own name
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Paleobird Guest
    Well, at this point it looks like I have perpetual stock X3 big stockpots.

I don't remember if I read it here or elsewhere but there was a piece about making your own bullion. That would be a convenient way too store it all.

Ooooh goodness gracious, Just sipping some of the first of the broth. My god that is RICH. It's like a meal in a cup.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.